This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Messages - Talan Va'lash
Quote from: Pseudonym
Who else will be able to tell me the stats of every possible build conceivable up to level 40?
Anyway, I haven't been around as a player much in the past while and my memories of playing with you Polak are from long long ago, but they're very fond memories.
Remember that time we locked ourselves into Storan's crypt and as we stood there waiting for the invisibility to run out and began to embrace the inevitable... we thought of a hair-brained scheme.. which worked? Then smug with the feeling of cheating death we went to the ogre cave to mine topaz and promptly died stupidly.
I think I lost 50k xp in that...
yeah, if anyone needs an idea of how long ago that was, it was back when you lost 10% of TOTAL xp when you died and back when Talan was level 8 (ish.)
If you say, "who's Talan?" Then just take my word that it was a looong time ago.
My apologies, I have to push this ahead again. I'm going camping this weekend and somehow didn't connect that I obviously wouldn't be able to run the quest while out in the woods. >.<
The quest will be run the next saturday (see calendar.) I wont reschedule it this time unless something serious comes up.
Quote from: Tialle Dianesis
Most likely I won't be able to make it to the quest this upcoming Saturday since I'll be out of town and away from compy access. Sorry .
When I state that a quest is "locked" I -usually- mean locked to those that are involved in the quest already, not strictly to those that were on the previous session. The intent is to preserve continuity, not to punish people for not being able to make a session.
Well, it sounds like this quest is going to be pushed back another week. However, I'm going to run a different event in the slot I had scheduled this saturday.
The new event has no starting location except for Mistone and it will begin randomly (well, not randomly but I'm not telling where) and other PCs on the server may or may not become involved in an IC manner. To restate that, pretty much everyone will have an IC -chance- to become involved but of course, they may resist the bait.. erm, I mean, invitation. *coughs*
Does anyone else have a problem with making the session scheduled for next saturday? I'd 'like' everyone to be there but I don't want to end up putting it off repeatedly trying to find a time that is doable for everyone.
Since we have some time before the first finale session due to my oversleeping, everyone that wants to may PM me their character's thoughts on the nature of the quest location for a chance at an important hint.
I apologize sincerely to my questers who showed up tonight. I had decided to take a little nap before the quest and... set my alarm with the am/pm backwards and didn't wake up until now (an hour after I inteded to start the quest.) Actually I had the alarm set properly but the clock itself had the am/pm backwards.
At any rate, I apologize to everyone and I will schedule the event that was supposed to be tonight for the same time next week.
To clarify the finale quests are open to everyone who has been active in the series, not only those who were on the quest immediately previous.
J-ser, I feel your pain...
*bangs head into wall* Fell asleep, and alarm didn't go off. Thats what I get for staying up past one every day.
- To be able to draw on the ground from the DM client. Just a pencil tool in several colors that generates a bitmap overlaid on the ground polygons. This would also alleviate the need to create art for a large number of "floor rune" placeable objects. Also allows for the ooc labeling of stuff on quests that there isn't an appropriate model available to represent (no matter how many models there are you'll always be missing the one you want at some point.)
- - Let PCs draw tattoos on their characters with the pencil tool too.
- Ability to embed images in item descriptions beyond generic "item type" or "appearance generated" images. Think maps and illustrated books.
- Ability to equip an unidentified item.
- - Cursed items (This requires the item above really.)
- Three dimensional coordinate system.
- - Combat mechanics that allow advanced tactics (requires the item above.)
- - - Altitude/height advantage (easier to fight down a hill than up one.)
- - - Cover
- Lighting that affects game mechanics.
- - Partial concealment in dark spots (this would give a purpose for low-light and darkvision equivalents.)
I could go on and on really...
Quote from: Dove de Dona Pheonix
Hmm you could always just say that Layo was part of your sociology studies. Of course in my case I just tell people I am studying mediated communication. I might actually right a paper one of these and submit it to conference. Hmm thats not a bad idea actually, publish or perish after all.
Heh, I acctually wrote a paper for an Anthropology course once about, more generally, internet communities, but I drew a good deal on my experience within the layonara community.
Quote from: lonnarin
1) When one summons the Krashin Barbarian, is he an actual barbarian, an ancestrial spirit type with a "soul" or a magical construct in nature?
I imagine he is a warrior who died and is summoned from his Deity's plane to fight for the summoner. So, more the ancestral spirit than the construct. Definitely not a construct. I'm thinking Valhalla to give a historical parallel.
2) In the event that he's a magical construct, will he still have a personality of a barbarian, being able to battlecry, rage and drink and such, or is he more like an unfeeling automaton like a golem? Will getting him drunk make him "happy"?
He's definitely not a construct. Most archetypal barbarians like getting drunk so I'd say probably yes to the last question. He's definitely able to rage and such, iirc his CLASS is barbarian so you should see him using abilities like rage.
3) Will it be considered an evil act to summon the demon with the Abyssal Sounding horn as far as good folks with Use Magic Device is concerned? In other words, would a good cleric with Use Magic Device points possibly lose their status with their deity for using it? How about if the demon was summoned specifically to do restitution for his bad deeds, like picking up litter or being made to sit there and listen to a Toranite sermon?
Depends on their deity... This is too deity/character specific to answer generally.
Some good aligned deities would consider summoning an evil outsider reprehensible regardless of motive while some would let motive determine whether the act was evil or not.
This isn't something like animating undead that has an inherent alignment bias built into the fictional metaphysics of the setting.
4) When the demon is done being summoned, does he go back to his abyssal plane with free will again, to plot against the owner of the horn for suffering his indignities, or is he specifically bound to that horn and vicariously its owner as well? Does the horn grab the same demon over and over, or does it work like other summoning spells in which it's assumed that it merely grabs the closest demon?
Any time a demon is killed on the prime material they return to the abyss and are banished from returning to the prime material for exactly 100 years. So, any summon can't summon a demon again if it was killed unless they wait 100 years first.
The horn in question specifically summons a random demon and you may even end up with demons of different types from use to use.
It did used to be a permanant poison and it was taken out oh, probably 2 years ago or a bit longer.
I don't think it was that anyone was exploiting the system just that having a craftable permanant just made it way too available and common. Not entirely sure though considering that even a weak perm poison raises a weapons level req a LOT.
Quote from: Pseudonym
He's been away for work all week in Tasmania (Australia's version of Alaska!), back late tonight I believe. Think he has a fair bit of work-related travel ahead for the next few weeks as well ... ?
Yeah... but they don't have Alaskan Devils. That makes Tasmania cooler.
Quote from: diagnull
1) How can I get little Xp early on? I tried to fight a skunk and got trashed in no time (I'm a Ranger), so I think it's too early? Are there some easy quests in town...I didn't find any.
There are a few easy scripted quests sprinkled about.
Check out the hempstead sewers and the Fort Vehl crypts. They're the 'real' starting level areas. Skunks are seriously dangerous to new characters, I think everyone got a good laugh about that the first time they came here (they're CR 4 or something.)
Get with a party. The first few levels go by very fast (intentionally) when you get with a party of similar level.
2) Also, how do I fish? I brought the pole, line, and lure but it's still not working (I think). Am I missing something, or do I need to wait?
I don't think you're missing anything... There's a specific order you have to use the stuff on each other.. I don't know it too well myself but it's written in the description of some of them I think. Either that or there's a book that the crafting merchant sells that details the process.
I don't think you need a crafters badge to fish heh.
Quote from: ycleption
Is it possible or to permissible to RP as though I were there, silently observing and fighting alongside the others? (since I hardly have a way to RP leaving in-between sessions). If so, can someone send me a log?
Yes. Somebody please send yclepton the log after the quest.
As for the other concerns, I forgot I hadn't posted the quest on the calendar. Probably because everyone that can come knows since the party is locked heh.
Anyway, it's up now.
The quest will be going on.
What you do to work around this is simple... it's gotta be some stupid mistake in the code heh.
Anyway, rather than double clicking on the server name in the server list (or history/favourites) click on it once and then click the "Connect" button.
If you do that, it will only prompt you for a password once and won't crash.
This started happening to me a month or two ago and I figured out how to get around it. No idea what caused it though.
Potions in NWN provoke attacks of opportunities as per PnP rules... at least in hardcore rules mode.
Layo runs on Normal difficulty (which is easier than real rules) so i'm not actually positive if potions etc provoke AoOs.