The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A New Hope..Discussion Thread  (Read 571 times)

Andrios

A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« on: August 18, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »
//Hello! I thought it might be a good idea for us to discuss ideas/strategies in a forum thread, IC of Course  :)

*as the dishevelled group makes a strategic withdrawl, Aeronn looks about. Seeing Connor still deep in thought he clears his throat and speaks to the group*
Does anyone think there is any connection between the pit dwellers and the Gnolls, other than the gnolls being a handy and easily manipulated force?  
More importantly, what is our next step for approaching the Gate?
*He pauses, looking about to see if any answer him*
 
The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle

Dorganath

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:45:16 am »
Connor remains relatively quiet, though not withdrawn, sitting (or walking) near AnnaLee.  He seems generally observant of something, though whatever that "something" is likely isn't local.  For the moment, he does not contribute to conversations near him unless addressed directly (or something relevant catches his attention). Unless prompted otherwise, he keeps his conversations quiet and limited to those immediately around him. He does not ignore anyone, but rather simply does not initiate conversations for the most part.

Now and then (and how often depends on milty), his attention seems to go elsewhere completely for a few moments.

He does look up with Aeronn's question, watches the group and waits for any sort of response or comment.
 

Lalaith Va'lash

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:48:36 am »
*Kali shakes her head, as she listens from the edge of a small crowd.*

The gnolls were convenient, and easily manipulated.


*She raises an eyebrow, inclining her head thoughtfully.*

As for a next step.... *She shrugs a little, her emerald eyes looking over the group, as if holding back a thought and looking for somebody in particular.*

//Kali looks to see if Abi is in this group.
 

Alatriel

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:28 am »
*Daniella leans heavily on her sword and ponders a moment*

Well... here's what I'm wondering...  are the gnolls just gnolls, or are they tainted by something, and either way, are they a distraction?  While we've been sitting here, no armor, no shields... in our weakened state, and then forced to hide from gnolls rather than what we would normally do with them... Is there something bigger going on under the surface that is remaining unseen because our attention is focused elsewhere?  I'm not saying I want us to be rash and rush into anything, but also, the longer we wait here, will there be something worse awaiting us when we do attempt to close the gate?
 

miltonyorkcastle

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:31:11 am »
Weary but momentarily victorious, you contemplate the merrits of camping inside the cavern or chance leaving it and returning. After a short time, the bodies of the fallen Pit-kind blink, flicker. And then they're gone, as if they were never there to begin with.
 

Dorganath

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:56:29 pm »
Connor makes no reaction to the disappearance of the fallen Pit-kind, but rather moves around checking on those who are injured or recently revived from having fallen in the last battle.  He seems rather pensive about something but there's almost nothing to indicate what that might be.  His eyes fall on a few in particular as if evaluating them.

Finally, once everyone seems to have taken stock of the situation, he positions himself to address the group with his back to the deeper parts of the cave. He takes in a slow breath and speaks in a projected tone, pitched to reach the ears of the party and not much else.

"I believe we need to risk making a camp...perhaps back a bit from here.  Our casters and healers are worn, and I suspect significant challenges ahead if our journey this far was any indication.  I would prefer to avoid any further losses.  These last were perhaps avoidable, but if we press forward in our current state, we will see more."

He pauses a moment, apparently to take a breath, before continuing.

"We will take our rest in shifts. I will take the first watch together with any others who would wish.  I'd like casters and healers in each group to spread our risk." He looks to Abiorn. "You should rest now and take the second watch."

Another moment passes before his next words.

Let's find a place that's as defensible as possible, then make a cold camp, tend to the injured and get ourselves refreshed for what lies ahead."
 

Carillon

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:12:02 am »
Jaelle speaks softly from where she's standing.

"I will watch with you, Connor. I am uninjured, and am not yet so tired that I cannot draw on the Al'Noth."

She pauses, glancing behind her in the direction they came.

"There was a place back there that would do, was there not? I think I recall a sort of alcove that was not quite so open. I will go back and check."

With a subtle gesture and murmured phrase, she cloaks herself in an illusion, disappearing to the unaided eye. Her quiet footfalls echo slightly as she pads away to check for a defensible campsite.
 

Alatriel

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »
*Once camp is made, Daniella sits in quiet prayer, asking for forgiveness for once again being raised by a priestess of Aragen*
 

Andrios

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:19:11 pm »
*Aeronn seems slightly agitated as helps set up the cold camp, occasionally he adjusts the weight of his mangled shield and continues about his tasks.  When everything is set he turns to Connor*

I too shall take first watch.  I do not have The Sight as some others do, but Rofirein willing, I will be able to sense their evil before they are upon us should the pit dwellers strike against us whilest we camp.
 

Dorganath

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:38:30 pm »
Connor looks over to Aeronn at his words."Then you should take second watch, as I can sense them with my back turned and eyes closed," he offers in a matter-of-fact tone.
 

Andrios

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 09:53:46 pm »
*Aeronn just stares at Connor for a few seconds.  Finally he nods once and after walking a few feet he settles down with his back against the wall and closes his eyes*
 

Andrios

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:01:51 pm »
*Aeronn gazes at each member of the group for a moment, then he takes a measured breath and begins speaking*

That proved to be an interesting parlay.  We have learned something of our foe, his reasons and his methods.  The fact remains that no matter how well spoken it is, or what name it gives itself, it is a fiend and it intends to draw more pit dwellers to Layonara. No matter what hole it calls home, it will continue to infect our world with evil denizens that have no place here.  An accord made with this beast will be broken as soon as it is agreed to, for that reason I hope you are not considering it's terms, in any fashion.  
Instead we must figure out how to destroy it, and it's gate.  

I trust those more knowledgeable than I were able to discern how this might be done.  

*Aeronn finishes speaking, looking at the group with a determined look on his face*
 

Alatriel

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:58 pm »
*Daniella sits and listens for a long time before speaking*

How can we say that we are helping one enemy, the beholders, that were the whole reason we started on this mission in the first place... and then come down here to close this gate and send the pit fiends back to their hell, and then we even consider letting them stay on our plane because we will simply send them to the deep to feast on darkelves and other creatures of the underground?  How is one better than the other?  What honor is there in that?  Dark elves may be evil as a race, yes, but what about the other creatures of the deep that are not evil?  Won't they suffer too from the presence of these creatures?  Are we no less responsible for their harm if we enable this evil to stay on our plane?  And who are we do decide that it is not right for these creatures to feast on beholders, but it is just fine for them to feed on the creatures of the deep?  It is our job to destroy evil where it lives, not see that it has a comfortable existence with plenty of food and drink just as long as we don't see it happening.
 

Dorganath

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:51 pm »
Connor seems to pay little attention to the speeches and instead helps tend to a weakened Jaelle. Working with Anna, he helps Jaelle find some comfort in the dark cave, supporting her weight or even helping to carry her as they move.  Not long after Jaelle is settled, however, his attention is drawn behind him.  A moment or two later, he says something quietly to Anna, stands, steps back and vanishes in mid-step.

Some time later he returns down the narrow stone walkway through the water, appearing rather suddenly, and walks to a relatively quiet place with a thoughtful expression.
 

Rowana

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 03:34:25 pm »
Anna gives a worried look but a nod with whatever Connor says to her and then promptly busies herself with making the promised tea. Amazingly she manages to have a cup for whomever asks for one (should they not have their own eating kit), and then sees to Jaelle after giving her time with the priests (whomever step up to the need).

She spends quite a bit of time mumbling portions of the conversation with John over and over to herself (for those close enough to overhear) while fretfully tending Jaelle and pacing through their area clearly looking for something.
 

Primalfear

  • Jr. Member
  • **
    • Followers of Prunilla
  • Posts: 82
    • View Profile
Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 05:38:19 pm »
*Up until the time where Conner disappeared, Eslar was keeping with him and Mirren, discussing events with her.*
 

Carillon

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 09:12:58 pm »
For whatever reason, Jaelle's condition seems to have rendered her temporarily mostly helpless. She allows Connor to carry her after an attempt to stand on her own nearly blacks her out.

Once settled, she remains quiet and tense. She gives Connor a questioning look when he leaves and another when he returns. She also murmurs to Anna, noting the restless pacing and searching. Anyone very close might hear her ask what Anna is looking for.
 

Chongo

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 01:26:56 am »
*Abiorn takes an almost defensive posture over Casrushier, beckoning the nearby healers to him with an uncharacteristic fervour.  He kneels there, staff in one hand, his magics still ablaze from the battle before.  His other hand rests on her left hand and forearm, his robe sleeves covering the hand he holds.  His words are half whisper, half thought, though a prayer seems to have carried with the implied fervor of Ilsare's cause.*
 

Carillon

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 10:28:53 am »
(//Assuming someone fetched Jaelle from where Elgon left her nearby)

Jaelle is still clearly weak and weary physically, but she seems alert. She watches Abiorn hold Casrushier's left hand. She looks thoughtful as the healers work on her, listening to people talk around her, piecing together what happened. A small winged creature appears from near the mouth of the cave when she is brought to join the others, and her familiar settles back onto her shoulder.
 

Hellblazer

Re: A New Hope..Discussion Thread
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 10:49:17 am »
*Eslar looks at Connor and Abiorn, and mutters in dwarven not so quietly*

Oaaz', hak'k.... khur'rh awawaurhkth, ponazthkat arhazith

*he then go sits by Mirren taking out some fish he had previously cooked before leaving Wayfare*