The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Idea for a new type of quest.  (Read 1575 times)

Spike

Idea for a new type of quest.
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:21:20 am »
Hay all, not many of you know me but I have been playing here on and off for just over a year now. Not really anything to do with my topic...but still it serves as an introduction.

I guess what I'm suggesting here is a new type of quest.

Here on Layonara you submit you character idea, edit it, have it approved and step into a great RP world where you are the hero. This is fantastic and why Layo has such a great dedicated player base. Though the vast majority of people enjoy this, its not for everyone. I refer of course to the Corathites. But not just follows of the mad god, or any evil deity for that matter. The amoral assassin, the power driven necromancer and the ruthless bounty hunter all fall under this category. Not necessary villains, just not heroes. Characters whose only motives are for the benefit of themselves.

So after browsing the calender for a good event to introduce my new character Elder to the world, I came up empty handed. I was unable to find a situation I could see this character taking part in, something he would do himself and not as me just looking for a quest to take do. I would do something myself and apply for the new GM position but I just don't have enough free time at the moment for this to worthwhile. I missed the golden age of the Corathites and now there are to few of us left now to go back to those happier times :rolleyes: , so I'm posting a suggestion for quests designed for evil characters. Something which would allow characters to meet like minded others and strive towards goals that make this world that little bit more unpleasant.

Here are some suggestions that I'm just pulling out the top of my head:

1) A crime lord seeking to hire people to destroy a rival. This would give people the chance to double cross each other as well as the two feuding crime lords.

2) A pirate seeks slaves to sell on the black market. You would need to break into people's homes at night and drag them into an unpleasant future. This would also allow for good players to try to stop the evil ones similar to a quest mixafix ran a while back.

3) An unknown force seeks a noble dead but with the appearance that it was accidental, only stealthy characters need apply!

4) A priest of Pyrtechon wishes for a prison riot to take place so that he may dispose of someone during the chaos. Slay the guard, release the prisoners and then flee.

I think you get my idea. What do you think?

The following users thanked this post: Necromancer

mixafix

Re: Idea for a new type of quest.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:08:53 am »
the Most Wanted series might suit - wanted notices posted in game for items/people to be recovered (generally run without gm but left for a few hours).

There have been occassions where games/series have been run from both sides, there is at least one running just now, where there is room for activity by various factions with different goals.

CDQ might be appropriate - or a direct request for a particular thing.

BUT - IMO where this excludes everyone else it starts to fall inot the cdq catagory whether called such or not, and is likely to work as part of a larger more mixed plot.

Also if it is too restrictive  - there may not be enough people turn up at all.

As a scheming character you may have to come up with the scheme and apply it to ongoing plots? (at gms discretion) or pm gm for some input - bearing in mind the exclusion dangers.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:04:55 pm »
I play "ruthles bounty hunter/assassin" and there's always something to keep me on my toes. =P

Seriously, though, I feel your pain. We've had some shady quests in the past, but for some reason, they never pan out, always cutting short before they finish, usually for OOC reasons that can't be helped.

Except that I promised my next quest series after my current one would be a happy-happy joy-joy quest, I think maybe you're right. It's time to take up the mantle of offering events that interest the "bad" folk out there. Mix is right, though, about being too restrictive, so the quests won't necessarily be "only for the bad guy" quests, but will be shady at best, and border on morally decrepid.

Also, if you happen to see me online, send me a tell. I can get you connected to the "underworld." ;)

EdTheKet

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:20:25 am »
On the other hand, (playing devil's advocate here) you could also argue that most quests are catered towards the good (or neutral) inclined and are therefore "discriminating". This because the more dodgy/shady characters can only participate and try and steer away or sabotage, instead of the main goal of the quest being something "bad".

Perhaps we should consider something like "If 5% of the characters is evil, 5% of our quests should also involve something evil/bad".

Of course the number of characters is low, but I would have no problems at all with quests catered to the "dark side", as long as it is in proportion to the other non-evil/bad quests I think nobody could argue against it or claim favouritism.

mixafix

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:47:12 am »
perhaps thats a fair point, perhaps I should have added that I try to allow the game to be run by good/neutral but with 'bonus features' available to those who play diety and alignment. Now that does not only apply to the bad guys  9who may feel they are the only ones to have to work harder to get things) but it applies to the good guys too.

That said give me a thought or plot line and ill gladly run it...usually by fitting it into other stuff.

Simplest way to encourage Ed's other point perhaps is for every GM to sign up to 1 bad guy plot a year with a clear logo and see how the numbers go for turn up.

Weeblie

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:10:26 am »
A few words of wisdom for today:

Do not wait for quests geared towards evil characters.

Instead, join a "good" quest and make a bargain with the other side.

:)

WestSideR

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:11:03 pm »
I liked the ideas.

Spike

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 07:54:30 am »
Hmmm, I've been thinking about what you all have said for a while and have decided that I'm going to try to take some action. I can understand that the GM's here don't want to commit resources to a quest that caters to a minority sooo...I will organise a player run quest.

Basically this is just a heads up as I don't have working internet at the mo, so I'm on very irregularly, but that should sort itself out in a couple of weeks. So if you are interested and have a character of neutral/evil alignment post below your rough playtimes and I'll see what I can cook up. If no one is up for it I will fell that at least I gave it a shot, but if enough positive feedback is shown it could lead to something special. Just remember that the main goal is to introduce all the nasty characters to each other...and maybe some other dark goal depending how things roll.

Ideas are already bubbling away, and more details will be forthcoming when I get my internet back ;) .

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 10:13:52 pm »
Count me in. I'm CDT, usually later in the evenings (9pm onward).