The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: CNR Alternative?  (Read 248 times)

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
CNR Alternative?
« on: August 08, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
Some people love CNR, and for those who do I am glad you found something you enjoy.  I personally find it dreadful, but not because of the mechanics of it.  I also realize that there needs to be a balanced econonmy to supply growing characters with needed equipment, and CNR is great for producing generic items for growing heroes. But its also utterly lacking in creativity and romance.  I've joined plenty of mining trips, and they can be small adventures in themselves.  But all that comes of them is a bunch of generic Iron Longswords, some with elemental enhancements.  The new owner of that sword knows nothing of what went into making it, and they'll have their adventures with it and discard it when the next new shiny sword comes along.  Hardly the stuff of epics, despite the fact that in any other setting a +2 dagger with 1d6 acid damage is probably a pretty recognizeable piece of equipment to a bard that happens to know the tale.

Now I realize that a server full of players is far different from a campaign where a half dozen people have the DM's undivided attention at all times, so I don't expect CNR to be going the way of the buggy whip any time soon.  But what I would like to know is if there is room for DM-facilitated crafting of unique items, maybe as a CDQ?  There just seems to be something more engaging and romantic in seeking exotic components strewn about the globe and then turning them into a magical staff or helmet to be the envy of every wizard or fighter the world over (or at least within your weight class).  Something unique, with a story to it, even if it *costs* xp and gold to make instead of rewarding XP.

If this kind of thing is a possibility will those attempting the crafting and so forth be required to posess a reasonable amount of skill in CNR?  Or is that can they do so without worrying about slogging through CNR?

vgn

RE: CNR Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
This does exist. Unique items are often made for ECDQs and on rare occations when warrented a normal CDQ. If you stick with Layo long enough, make an impact and get to the "higher" levels you may find you have an item like this as well.

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 12:31:00 pm »
A player who doesn't appreciate the story of their sword probably wouldn't no matter what it is ...

And actually, it takes a long time for a weapon to become obsolete. Quin has had his iron longsword since probably level 7 or 8. It was made by Andraia benteel, and Quin has since named his sword Andraia in respect to it's maker. Later, while working for Kobal, he earned a crystal rod and a fire opal, which he took to Plenarius and traded for an enchantment rod, and now this plain iron sword is even more powerfull. Later, he bought a silver dip from Kobal. I am planning on getting an enchantment rod 3 next level, and keepig Andraia around well into and/or past level 13. That is 6 levels, which is about a fourth of my Quin's career before epic.

A swords story is made by its user, not its maker. A sword fresh from the forge is afterall still only a sword. It is not until it is given a purpose that it becomes truely famous ...

Well ... anyway ... there is my story.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
I am proud of every weapon that I make and I appreciated everything that others have made for me.  I still remember the first shield that Klugger made for me, a bronze heater shield with Klugger's initials on the back side.  Sharing skills with other players is a very enjoyable aspect of this world, I would recommend trying your hand at a skill and then networking with others to see what benenfit you can realize from it.  And by the way, if you are looking for a particular weapon, just send me a note and I will do what I can.

PsychicToaster

• Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:24:00 pm »
I've played on other CNR servers in the past(Mythos is the only one I remember by name and gained any appreciable skill on), and was fairly decent with alchemy.  Its not the disgruntled ravings of someone who failed one too many times at the crafting table; its just not my cup of tea and I know it.  However I do enjoy putting my creativity to work towards the production of useful things.  

What I meant about story earlier is that to the outside observer every +1 longsword is the same as the next, regardless of how epic story behind it.  In large part this is more a failure of the NWN engine, not something to be dumped on the shoulders of the builders or gms.  That said though, even if a character has named their weapon and told the tale of their exploits to every bard they meet, as soon as someone who has never heard the story acquires it it becomes just another +1 sword again, and they have no way of learning that there ever was a story to be told.

Rehevkor

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 10:29:00 pm »
    I understand what you're getting at. It would be nice to mark an item as being crafted by a particular person, or give the item a unique name.

Thunder Pants

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 11:35:00 pm »
    well both of Lue's swords have unique stories behind them, and Lue has named them both (pokey and staby) and odds are she will have those blades for the rest of her career (i can't see getting better blades anytime in the distant future)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 02:30:00 am »
    lues swords arent CNR craftables though.

All of the swords and bows that used to be talan's that he sold, he passed on the story of the sword.  My iron longsword was the blade of Alexander Leonidas, who had it enchanted by elixer gutshaker the dwarven cleric of beryl, then later sold it to Talan.  Talan used it for over a year game time, untill it passed to Tomas (who I havent seen in a while) the cleric of lucinda.

his first oak longbow was made by Erred Windancer (who is no longer played) improved (beyond my ability to use it at the time) by Kobal bluntaxe.  Enzo reynolt made the first set of bow parts and put them on it.  Talan used this bow for probably 3 years IG.  Later Kobal made better bow parts for it, and finally it was sold to Seteece the ranger with the big black cat, because talan got a mahogany bow, improved it with bow parts he won at enzo's raffle for folians temple.  He's used the mahogany bow to help destroy two bloodwells, restore the balance between the inner planes, and defend the blue of the anuroch.

It would be cool if we could write up the stories and have them put on the items, or create identical items ourselves and send them in for approval/verification and then have them swapped for the current item.

It would be nice if the story would continue even if the next seller doesnt decide to tell it to their buyer

-TV

Thunder Pants

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 03:48:00 am »
    Lue's dagger is CNR craftable, it's just that the materials are very very hard to obtain

Ar7

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
    As many others have said already, there are unique items. But as with all unique items, a character has to be around for a long time to earn them. Until then CNR provides those general goods that an average adventurer needs.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 10:25:00 pm »
    Thunder Pants - 8/10/2005  4:48 AM

Lue's dagger is CNR craftable, it's just that the materials are very very hard to obtain

Oh that dagger.  I was thinking of the talon.