The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Gems Thought  (Read 209 times)

Gems Thought
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:11:00 am »
I was reading through the descriptions on gems and was wondering if maybe putting their counterparts in.

An example perhaps is Garnet. It says that it's the poor mans ruby, but the violet hued version, also known as Rhodolite is extremely rare and prized.

What about adding in the "other versions" of gems to the cnr mix to allow for other materials to be created? I've no idea on what materials could be made or anything like that, just an idea.

Any thoughts?

RE: Gems Thought
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:48:00 pm »
I am in the process of doing some research online as to the chemical makeup of various precious and semi-precious gemstones, in order to come up with some ideas as to new recipes for gems. What I have found for some of the xisting gemstones, could be used quite interestingly.

malachite when immersed in acid becomes effervescent, in other words it glows.
all crystalline gemstones will glow according to their color if a small static charge is influenced upon them.
emerald glows yellow
ruby glows deep pink
amethyst glows pink
quartz glows pale blue
diamond glows white
Tried looking up phenalope and could not find anything, but I have not given up on it quite yet
greenstone, I haven't found anything for, other than, there is a stone here in BC that is called greenstone, or false jade, and it is an amalgamate of various other stones. It is commom, without an artistic or measureable worth.
feldspar is a grouping and not a stone unto itself

amber I think would be a good one to have in the game, as it was used in the making of incense, and also if it had a creature captured within, either a dragonfly, fly or even a small tree frog, it was quite valueble, especially if the gem crafter was carefull enough to remove the amber to the point it became a very thing coating around the creature within. What magical properties if any this would garnish, would be up to the GMs to decide. An idea of my own would be to cast animate object upon the critter within, and thus the character would have a little minion that could convey a message to another character or to use the said minion to spy on others. A possible focus for scrying.