The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Mercenaries  (Read 456 times)

Flaron1990

• View Profile
    Mercenaries
    « on: March 08, 2007, 03:45:41 pm »
    The mercenaries around Vehl and Hempstead, there are adventurers, both good an evil, killing them. Instead of just killing the underlings wouldn't it a good idea to go through the chain of command and kill the head honcho? There would probably be three ways to kill him(or at least that's all I can think of); one you could talk to the right people and build your prestige amongst mercenaries and get led to the all mighty owner of the group. Two you could interrigate a less than loyal mercenary who might give you the right information. Three the good old guard in Hempstead have been doing some investigation and they have a mole on the inside of the ranks of mercenaries who gets a group of good and strong adventurers into the works and they can get the job done. Now I know that the low level mercenaries are an easy way for low level charaters to band together and do something in the difficult world, and if you kill the leadership of the mercenaries the whole mercenary thing could fall apart. However there are poor people who are still desperate to go great lengths to earn a living, and they could just as easily become a small group of peasant friends who decide banditry is the way to go.

Another little idea, if this is done by evil people, couldn't they join the mercenaries instead of kill them. Then it could lead to an shady, underground guild who is more fond of the highest bidder than the goodness of people.

Eight-Bit

Re: Mercenaries
    « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »
    I was thinking about having Key join the mercernaries.

But, back in beta 4 I ran a quest called The Bandit King. It could be a fun low level series to make up for the fact I am running one just for epics.

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 10:08:19 pm »
    *sings*  For he is the Bandit King!  He is!  Hurrah for the Bandit King!  And it is, it is, a glorious thing to be a Bandit King.... *trails off as he buries his nose in mediaeval music once more*

Faldred

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 04:39:34 am »
    Gilbert and Sullivan is hardly medieval...

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:25:28 pm »
    But the music in Dapplegreen is! :)

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 01:59:47 pm »
    I dunno, I've always thought it a tad ironic that because they have a little tag above their head that say "mercenary" they're automatically bad guys. As opposed to the PCs, who for the most part, could loosely be classified as mercenaries (What? You're giving me gold to do a random task that probably involves killing things and possibly bringing random body parts as proof? Where do I sign up?).

*joins in chorus of pira..er..bandit king song*

Faldred

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:04:15 pm »
    Quote from: ycleption
    I dunno, I've always thought it a tad ironic that because they have a little tag above their head that say "mercenary" they're automatically bad guys. As opposed to the PCs, who for the most part, could loosely be classified as mercenaries (What? You're giving me gold to do a random task that probably involves killing things and possibly bringing random body parts as proof? Where do I sign up?).

*joins in chorus of pira..er..bandit king song*

In V2, I always assumed that meant mercenaries working for Bloodstone.

darkstorme

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:43:02 am »
    Quote from: Faldred
    Gilbert and Sullivan is hardly medieval...

*chuckles*  The music in my head bears little resemblance to the works of M. de la Halle, who I was and am occupied with at the moment.

anything