The World of Layonara  Forums

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
1: Bartholomew’s age: 75
If you will give me the space, I would happily change his age to 67 or yes, 70 (67 happens to be the year that I was born actually) But, when I conceived of him, I knew that I would be RP’ing a character, at the final tip of his waning years.

I am of the opinion that having an aged person in a group of young people, adds flavor, and years of knowledge that is sometimes useful, and, sometimes annoying. I feel that it can enhance the RP.

2: alignment
Yes I do agree that CN, seems a streamlined pinnacle. Based on the characters bio, he started off as a simple farmer, then got on willingly recruited into an orc army, and found himself fighting for some cause he does not believe in, and then being released from all that because of the futility of the circumstances, to me, it does not seem unreasonable that he could have a chaotically neutral alignment. If you are nice to him, he might be nice to you. If you treat him poorly, he may treat you poorly. He may do either, depending on no circumstance at all. His life has been, just as unreliably chaotic.

3 classes.
At the risk of not writing the next War and Peace in Bartholomews bio, I did simply gloss over his youthful years on the farm, but arguably his discovery of magic could have been nurtured by his father or an elder, as farm work is never as simple as tilling the land and planting seeds. There are so many other layers of technical work it doesn’t seem unusual to me that magic might come in handy.

I don’t disagree that it is conceivable. He may have picked up his understanding of magic during his years in the Clawfoot clan, perhaps, mentored by another, unwilling recruit / slave, but I was slightly reluctant to have him have too many personal connections with the Clawfoot clan, so that he could break his ties more evenly. But I’m open to anything.  What other additions to his bio might I add to resolve this?

Thank you,

Brutus, Clawfoot
Trade and Market Hall / Re: SADDLEBAG PAWN SET PRICES (Please post here for transactions)
« Last post by Riven on February 05, 2024, 02:08:51 am »
Barley drops off a few items:

17 rhubarb x 15 = 255
8 aloe x 30 = 240
4 sage x 60 = 240
4 thistle x 30. = 120
24 wheat x 30 = 720
44 corn x 30 = 660
7 elderberries x 30 = 210
4 blackberries x 45 = 180
4 grapes x 45 =180
9 red mushrooms x 20 - 180
12 purple shrooms x 50 = 600
6 spotted shrooms x 100 = 600
R.G.'s studded leather (+1) 75% of lens = 1509
P.S.Dagger (copper, cold 1d4) 30% of lens =459
T.H. kukri (copper, cold 1d4) 30% of lens = 462
fire bomb 75% of lens = 3900
Depositing a total of 10,515

Previous Credit = 32,164
New Credit = 42,679

Took: 475 Bonesmasher Bolts = 1,188
Paid 119 coins
New Credit = 41,491
Took the following:
Greater Swordsman's Belt - 21093T
Yellow Belly Belt - 7980T
Divine Gloves - 4602T
Total 33675T
324147T - 33675T = 290472T
New credit = 290472T

Paid 3368T in the the chest as tithe.

Görmungard B.
Brought in:
Greater Swordsman's Belt - 21093T
Yellow Belly Belt - 7980T
Divine Gloves - 4602T
Total 33675T
Old credit: 564901 + 33675 = 598576T of new credit

/Markyl Hufvudsson\
Bought:
65x Birch Bark @40T for 2600T
Paid 2600T

Görmungard B.
Bug Reports / Deadly Gas Trap
« Last post by minerva on January 30, 2024, 02:06:17 pm »
Crafting a Deadly Gas Trap successfully yields a Minor Gas trap
Calendar Events / Adventure's Club Outing
« Last post by minerva on January 29, 2024, 10:36:09 am »
Adventure Club outing  Feb 11

Levels under 16 preferred  with  Epics as mentors and guides but  you shows, you goes - we're not going to exclude anyone.

We'll decide where we are going based on who shows but its generally an RP decision.

Meet at the fire in Center

Time - 4pm EST/1pm PST /9pmGMT  - we generally RP for 30-40 min before heading out so if you're a little late, please join
Barley picks up a few items:
Bull Strength potion 250
4 speed potions: 1800
Total taken: 2050 (205 paid into chest)

Drops off:
Iron helmet 375 (75% of lens)
T.S.’s short sword (acid) 464 (30% of lens)
7 black berries x 45 = 315
4 blueberries x 50 = 200
5 junipers x 30 = 150
6 black mushrooms x 20 = 120
4 chestnuts x 60 = 240
5 thistle x 30 = 150
6 pearls x 20 = 120
8 honey x 50 = 400
5 graveyard dirt x 40 = 200
5 raw black onyx x 50 = 250

Total for credit = 2984
Minus 2050 taken
Total deposited = 934

previous credit: 28,520
New Credit: 29,454

Updated: dropped off 10 more pearls x 20 = 200
14 skeleton knuckles = 140
19 wheat x 30 = 570
11 spider silk x 100 = 1100
7 dark spider silk x 100 = 700
total = 2710

New Credit 32,164
 Hey there Brutus_Clawfoot,

I haven’t forgotten about your character submission, but RL kept me too busy until now to have a deeper look into it…

There are some things we must work on if we are to approve Bartholomew:

1.Age:
Due to lore reasons, no half races can be born after the year 1421. The current year is 1491, so a character would need to be at least 70 years old upon submission. Bartholomew is supposed to be 75 years old, so the math itself is right. However, the average lifespan of half orcs is about the same as it is for humans, namely 70 years. 75 as a starting age really is pushing it, as it is already past the average lifespan of his race. Of course, there is not much leeway given the limitations on the date of birth for half races. As Bartholomew will be stone-bound as a player character, we’re going to allow the age (and thus playing a half race with a limited lifespan) with a restriction: Bartholomew will be one of the last of his kind in the entirety of Layonara, except for the other very few half orcish player characters. The “normal” half orcs will be no more in a few years (give or take). Bartholomew will be aware of this situation, seeing how he is aiming to be a wizard as well. What we are asking of you is for Bartholomew to reflect on this aspect in this character submission.

2. Alignment:
The alignment of half orcs is restricted, meaning he will have to start out as either True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil. The lone exception to this rule is if a Half Orc is submitted as a cleric of Az'atta, in which case they may submit with a Good alignment (https://wiki.layonara.com/wiki/Half_Orc).
Out of the two options you stated in the submission, NG will only be possible if he were to be submitted as a cleric of Az’Atta. CN is a restricted alignment so we’ll need some additional statements and will require a more in depth biography that supports the chaotic neutral alignment (https://wiki.layonara.com/wiki/Alignment_Rules) Details on the alignment itself can be found here: https://wiki.layonara.com/wiki/Chaotic_Neutral.

3. Classes:
I see a lot of support for him being a barbarian, but not a lot of support for wizard. I am aware characters start out at level 1 and only know how to cast some minor cantrips, but the way to even reach that level already takes years of rigorous studies. Wizards generally begin to study magic in their early teens as an apprentice to another Wizard. There are also academies specifically established for teaching magic and the ways of the Al'Noth. Such institutions, such as the Lucindite School of Magic in Spellgard, offer a much broader and in-depth education but at the expense of the one-to-one master/apprentice relationship. Certainly, there are other ways as well. Did he have some mentor along the way? How did he study the Al’Noth? Using the fundamentals of the Al’Noth on farming / the land and feeling to harness the power even further sounds more like a druidic behavior to me.

Additional Notes:
Despite the heavy input on age, alignment and the wizard class, the submission itself has good foundations and the motivation about why he heads out into the world becomes clear. Overall, I get a good picture of him. We ask a lot of this submission, because you’re asking for a race with is technically already dead (as is restricted to begin with), as well as submitting for a restricted alignment

I am not sure if Half Orcs automatically receive the ear for the orcish language, but you could request so if you want it. As he lived with the Clawfoot Clan for quite some time, I see no reason not to allow it (if Bartholomew has at least an INT 12 of at least 12 at submission, which is likely as he strives to become a wizard). You just have to request it  ;)

Cheers,
Lily
Trade and Market Hall / Re: Angels Guild--Adventure Outfitters
« Last post by davidhoff on January 24, 2024, 07:22:43 am »
*A note is left on the board for customer orders with an hickory arrow affixing it*

Hello,

Tipsy Oak here.  I'd like the following scrolls please:
4th: Ice Storm and fire wall
3rd: Flame arrow, scentilating sphere, melth's acid breath, and gust of wind

Thank you and please excuse my poor spelling.

Tipsy
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
anything