The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A fantastic couple of articles with ideas on how to be a better roleplayer.  (Read 2317 times)

miltonyorkcastle

Seriously. Read them. Agree and disagree. Think. Comment, even.*Warning* Foul language. Take that as you will.First: http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/20/11-ways-to-be-a-better-roleplayer/Second: http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/23/stanislavski-vs-brecht-in-tabletop-roleplaying/

Aphel

From personal experience,
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:04:14 am »

From personal experience, learning or brushing up on - or studying - fundamentals of drama & storytelling can be quite helpful. I'd be interested in a group aiming at improving those skills, if anybody has good tips for that or is interested in it, PM me.

gilshem ironstone

I really like that these
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:24:22 am »

I really like that these articles recommend that players do not resort to attacking or interfering with other characters.  I understand that many times, if this were a completely realistic setting then one player attacking another could be extremely logical and evident however, this being a storytelling game, you always have to consider those questions about as strongly as realism.  I would say, "Is it realistic?"  is as important as "Does this tell a good story?" and "Does this make for a more interesting game?".  Obviously there are a lot of ways to consider this, but I like how the article framed these issues.

miltonyorkcastle

Check this out, Aphel:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:27:15 am »

Check this out, Aphel: https://iversity.org/courses/the-future-of-storytelling

Thanks to Masterjack for finding the course and sharing it in the first place.

gilshem ironstone

I would also recommend the
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:59:40 am »

I would also recommend the books "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell and "Story" by Robert McKee.  "The Power of Myth" is an excellent examination of what universal qualities can be ascibed to successful story-telling.  "Story" is along the same lines, but is geared more towards writing screenplays; regardless, it is an excellent examination of what makes story-telling powerful.

Aphel

Thanks milty and gilshem.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:56:37 pm »

Thanks milty and gilshem. I've read various publications on storytelling so far (went as far as Aristotle's Poetics) as well as other resources, I'll have a look into what new tricks I can find in the resources you two mentioned. I am not sure if it helps with roleplaying as well, but I found that a good way to practise storytelling is to write a full story in a dialogue of 10 lines or in a text of 400 words. For people with little writing time, I can recommend telling a story in less than or exactly 200 words.

Ravemore

Excellent links.. thanks.PS..
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 09:34:54 pm »

Excellent links.. thanks.

PS.. I hate Kender too. LOL :-)

Dremora

No clue who Kender is but the
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:23:41 am »

No clue who Kender is but the articles I read were quite a refreshing read so thankyou guys, also welcome back Ravemore!

Dremora

No clue who Kender is but the
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 07:23:46 am »

No clue who Kender is but the articles I read were quite a refreshing read so thankyou guys, also welcome back Ravemore!

gilshem ironstone

Kender are a race of
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 09:28:18 am »

Kender are a race of uber-pickpocket/cleptomaniacs from Dragonlance.  They are related to dwarves and gnomes, and are generally one-dimensional.  Picture a halfling, with an over-developed Id, no sense of responsibility, and the best dex score you can imagine.

miltonyorkcastle

Kender are so used to
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 09:56:12 am »

Kender are so used to spending nights in prison, that they rate cities based on how nice their prison system is.

Ravemore

LOL..Also, thanks Dremora!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:03:46 pm »

LOL..

Also, thanks Dremora! :-)