The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Dangers of soloing  (Read 637 times)

AeonBlues

Dangers of soloing
« on: July 12, 2007, 06:30:13 pm »
I want to make a friendly reminder and open some discussion on the topic of soloing.  What I have observed is that some soloing is ok.  If you solo gathering a common CNR in a place that is not too difficult, then no one seems to care.  On the other hand, when a player solos areas to farm large amount of XP, or rare items and CNRs, then it is not only frowned upon, but it also can have sever negative impacts on other players.

I remember a player that would solo the rift.  He would gather the CNR there and was selling many.  What happened was that the rift was made harder.  Then parties of un-expecting adventures would get wiped out because of these changes.  Some times, a power built character can be so good and defeating spawns, that areas that areas are made too dangerous for balanced parties that once hunted there, and the party level balance goes up.  So what a balanced party of 15th level characters once handled, now the party has to be more like 18+.

What I am asking...  Is that the players who like to solo difficult areas take some time and reflect about how the actions of one individual, can and will impact the enjoyment of everyone else that plays in this game world.

AeonBlues

Pseudonym

Re: Dangers of soloing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:24:13 pm »
This post by AeonBlues got me to thinking what my most fun moments on Layo have been, and you know what? None of them, not a single one, have happened whilst soloing. Every single one of them have involved some form of interaction with other players.

To me, one of the great attractions of Layonara is being a member of a community. This is why I play on Layo as opposed to playing a single player game.

Community.

What is it? From dictionary.com:-

A group of people living in the same locality and under the same government.
The district or locality in which such a group lives.
A group of people having common interests.
A group viewed as forming a distinct segment of society.
Similarity or identity: a community of interests.
Sharing, participation, and fellowship.

How does soloing fit into any of the above? Sure, you'll get xp and gold and whatever ... *shrugs* ... you realise you can start Hordes of the Underdark at 15th level if that's why you are playing NWN.

jrizz

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:48:34 pm »
Here is a good way to put an end to soloing in the areas of rare items or high XP. Toss in a few monster mages that have an unbeatable dispel magic that they can cast once LOL. Parties would need to learn how to deal with it sure but it would be doable.

Nyralotep

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:14:44 pm »
Just incorporate the idea behind the titan in V1.  It had a on hit dispel magic.  There was also the one guy in Corath's temple back then that would cast a good dispel magic.  Of course it would not be too fun if the fighter up front is the one that got dispelled and then quickly died either.

Fatherchaos

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 08:35:50 pm »
To those who would decry soloing, also please keep in mind that there are a few of us (at the very least myself) who are unable to find parties to join or quests within our available timeslots. In my case because I can not keep a consistent schedule for playtime - or - I'm playing Overlord or riding my new motorcycle or otherwise venturing outside in the mountain trails. Similarly, I try to avoid using ooc messages to locate others so that my characters can simply wander over there.

To touch on the reasons for soloing, it's obviously for CNR/XP/Gold - monsters aren't particularly talkative. And I solo, when I do play, mostly so that I can slowly creep up on the level barriers placed on various areas and equipment. I love rp and treasure in equal portions :)

That being said, I also concur that my most entertaining moments have always involved adventuring with others. Although, the only time my character(s) get a SS is when adventuring with others :)

AeonBlues

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 01:17:13 am »
@ Fatherchaos

I have never bumped into dur while in the rift.  Or seen you in some crazy place blasting hoards at 200+ xp a kill.  There are certain places where soloing is deemed acceptable, and some places it definitely is not.

AeonBlues

twidget658

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:44:50 am »
So a party of five doing the same thing over and over, only faster, is okay?

Edit: Not talking about camping. How about firesteep or rift runs as fast as you can go. Several hours later, you go again. The next day, same thing. So now, the party is having the same affect as the soloing...but, soloing is so much slower. Who is doing more harm?

These type of posts just sort of get to me, sorry. That is all I will say about it.

ColtCommando

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 01:49:41 am »
Umm, obviously not.

Camping is camping.

And camping is quite specificly against server rules.

Not to say it isnt done.

But his post in no way implyed that it was okay to "camp" (wich is what youre describing).

I mean I dont even think I know this guys character, and I think most people know I dont have a tendancy to defend anyones post... Heh I dont post very much at all....  

But Like...

All im saying is, increase the peace man.

Spread the love.

DiegoBastet

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 05:28:55 pm »
I'll just stay with the friend up there. While there are people who can say "if I lost even ONE more quest I'll be mad", it is really hard to me to get even ONE quest at all! Besides, it is also hard to find a prty to go to some areas, AND my character is weak to go to almost anywhere, so I simply go sneaking everwhere and getting the good cnrs when there's no one around.

Can't blame people who can do similar, but are able bodied to kill the monsters. I would do the same, out of boredom, or for the xp, since I can't quest anyway.

Jearick Hgar

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 02:47:29 am »
Sometimes i get on and there really isn't anyone on that Tath knows real well or something, but i wanna do a dungeon or something, there's also times when there's not very many people on, and the ones whoa re on are all out doing something. These are the times where soloing should be acceptable yanno? i mean i'm an insomniac, so there's a good chance that i'll be on when the group i normally say hi to is asleep. Yes this is a good opportunity to meet new chars, but nothing says they are out to meet me, or that they are anywhere near where i'm at.

That said, i think there should be areas that are just there for the sake of soloing, but only for the higher up levels. i'm talking about 10 maybe 15 and up. by these levels it's taking a good amount of XP to get to the next level. Make areas that don't have any CNR materials and the monster's drop gold that monster half their level would drop. The Xp would be a little less than what a group area monster would give, but still enough that your actually doing something by soloing.

I realyl don't understand why soloing is so frowned apon on a server where it takes so long just to get to level 20. Yes Rp server, yes Rp is awesome, yes we gotta make it so there's not power gamers just running around saying "I R Uber overlord, phear meh newbs!" Doesn't mean canceling out Soloing is the way. People see the standard of RP here within a week of playing, They can see it's RP that matters not Level, level jsut means that you can go to this dungeon with a group or solo that dungeon. In the end, a level 10 char might be known as more dangerous and more widely feared than a level 20 char if that's the RP.