The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Please don't make an Ox of it  (Read 697 times)

Falonthas

Re: Please don't make an Ox of it
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »
well we know what happened to johan now dont we

but house trained ox and horses hmmm i just thought of a side job

Falonthas

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 03:41:43 pm »
now i start to wonder would khuren have gotten jail time for putting a paw through chandas chest?

hmmmmmmmm still would have gotten the finger that was needed

Xaltotun

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »
My, my, how we all get so excited over something our ancestors of even, say 200 years ago, would never have thought of. Or less, depending in where in the world you happen to be.

I may be wrong, but I fairly am sure that the native populations of the more remote parts of the world let their cattle and livestock wander about their places of habitation without let. I am thinking of the Russian Steppes, huge parts of Africa, and so on. Live in yurts and things like that. Not nice places like wot we do.

Surely, server rules notwithstanding, it's down to your personal/social/racial stereotype to allow your livestock to stay where they want. It's also up to other people how they react to it too, the law of the area notwithstanding.

I know some people who ought to know better who don't put the toilet seat down before they flush. Or at all. That's surely worse than letting your ox stand in a road.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 08:16:07 pm »
Living in a town does not equate with living in a more remote part of the world, the opposite, in fact; the town is the center of the world for a lot of people.

Townsfolk of whatever persuasion generally believe themselves to be more sophisticated than their rural counterparts. As towns evolved, so did the rules for behaviour. Failure to follow or even know the rules was what separated a respectable citizen from a visiting hick. Anyone visiting the town for the first time would soon become aware of that.

This is just as applicable to the lower level characters, when not much separates them from the average person. So, your character is not acting in a vacuum and wouldn't be "allowed" to do what they want (all those invisible inhabitants are exerting social pressure).

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

minerva

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 09:58:06 pm »
We could go around and around this point as there will be camps from both sides.  

One could point out a "repectable town" might view female characters half dressed as harlots and treat them as such -- where is the social pressure to keep their clothes on?  There isn't any because this is a FANTASY game.  If you want to parade you female character around in near her birthday suit then that is your perogative.  I don't see the city miltia arresting them for public or pubic indecency.

Ever work around molten glass ?   How about an honest to goodness forge?  Smell tanning solution?  How about try and set a stone in a piece of jewelry?   Now in all REALISM is that going to occur under one roof all the while people dancing in and out of screens changing clothes and sawdust flying from sawhorses as the smell of glue and glandular secretions of insects permiates the air?

Let it rest.  

People are going to leave pack oxen in places you dont like.  People are going to be short of time and take a horse somewhere because it's more convienient than to dismount.

If it bothers you that much then perhaps you need to step back and look at it as a game where YOU are not the nidus.  

If you want to get upset about something there are far more injustices in the world than upsetting a level of immersion.  

How about the 20th aniversary of Tiananmen Square for example?

*kicks away her soap box*

Script Wrecked

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 11:54:08 pm »
Quote from: minerva
One could point out a "repectable town" might view female characters half dressed as harlots and treat them as such -- where is the social pressure to keep their clothes on?  There isn't any because this is a FANTASY game.  

Actually, there is. But its being ignored so that the player can indulge their fantasy for scantily clad females.

If you want to parade you female character around in near her birthday suit then that is your perogative.  I don't see the city miltia arresting them for public or pubic indecency.

The city militia also don't arrest dark elves on entering Hempstead, but that isn't justification for doing it.

Ever work around molten glass ?   How about an honest to goodness forge?  Smell tanning solution?  How about try and set a stone in a piece of jewelry?   Now in all REALISM is that going to occur under one roof all the while people dancing in and out of screens changing clothes and sawdust flying from sawhorses as the smell of glue and glandular secretions of insects permiates the air?

Most craftsmen chose not to work ankle deep in dung.

Let it rest.

People are going to leave pack oxen in places you dont like. People are going to be short of time and take a horse somewhere because it's more convienient than to dismount.

I think that is generally allowed for.

If it bothers you that much then perhaps you need to step back and look at it as a game where YOU are not the nidus.

If you want to get upset about something there are far more injustices in the world than upsetting a level of immersion.

How about the 20th aniversary of Tiananmen Square for example?

*kicks away her soap box*

Any views I may or may not have regarding Tiananmen Square are not expressed in these forums.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

Hellblazer

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 02:54:32 pm »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Living in a town does not equate with living in a more remote part of the world, the opposite, in fact; the town is the center of the world for a lot of people.

Well just like to mention that up untl very recently (2005) where they were forced to take them out due to over poppulation, if you walked into the streets of  new Dehli, you will see cows that walke0 freely in the streets undisturbed (see revered as holy cows) by the population and police, even if they are blocking traffic.

So it's not just a question of time period, but also beliefs.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe there's any diety in Layonara that promotes the reverent worship of cattle to the point that they're given precedence over sentient community members.

Hellblazer

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 04:56:31 pm »
That's not the point, the point is that it was common in the old days to do so, and it is still common in certain part of the world today to do so. So basically it wouldn't be out of RP for the era of the settings we have now, to see that happen IG. heck in the medieval time, you couldn't walk 3 step without waling into ficies, waste, garbage thrown out of the houses by the people, cow dungs, horse dungs and other things. So why all the fret? Do you really think that the streets of the world you play in are spick and span and you can eat off of them? It's only out of time and out of cpu resources, I am pretty sure,that it's not made as dirty as it -should- be.

but again this thread was about interiors and not exteriors.

Lynn1020

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 05:00:47 pm »
*Helps drag away the dead ox*