The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Please don't make an Ox of it  (Read 694 times)

mixafix

Please don't make an Ox of it
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:15:05 am »
We have natty costume changes, personalised weapons, flags, banners, cloaks of distinction. We all love these and we readily sign up to all these aspects of RP and immersive features.

So can we show some restraint and keep the oxen out of the houses, Inns, banks, and crafting buildings. It makes the rest of the things above worth a little more.

Thanks for your consideration.

Nehetsrev

Re: Please don't make an Ox of it
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:24 am »
Keep the horses out-side too!  Oh, and all livestock should be kept a reasonable distance away from campfires like the one outside Hlint too.  No one wants to sleep in or near a pile of dung, after all.

lonnarin

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:13:07 pm »
Quote from: Nehetsrev
No one wants to sleep in or near a pile of dung, after all.

Says the pinkies... Gobbo's favorite flavor is stinky!

Lynn1020

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:15:49 pm »
I actually like the idea of keeping horses in houses.  It keeps them safe plus helps with the lag of when you run up on one.

ycleption

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:17:23 pm »
I do appreciate when people put their horses in stables, rather than leaving them in high-traffic areas, which causes a lot of lag for many of us.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:38:40 pm »
there is a stable near Port Hemp and Fort Vehl...  Maybe we need one near each city?

Hellblazer

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:49:26 pm »
amn guys, you have to remember one thing. The cities of those time period, were encumbered, dirty, horses were common in the street, where the nobles would not care of steping on the child of a paysant. Horse bulls dung, were common in the streets, to a point if you look at the history of louis 14, it's not only the rotten food that were thrown at his personal guards and the mousquetere, but also the horse and bull dungs.

The game is a bit to asepticized (probably not the right spelling there) where everything seems clean, but you can be sure that if you were in a city of that era, the streets would be dirty as hell. An example of what it would be like is actually Vehl, London and Paris at the same time period as the architecture of the game, didn't have the entirety of the city streets covered with stone. Most of the city streets were dirt streets, where it was uncomon -not- to step in a mudd puddle or dung.

Now I know this is RL vs Game, but if you think about it, in any countries that had the same time period, and even todays that are still not at the same status of civilization, the streets are dirty, filled with animals and what comes with them.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:04:35 pm »
Actually, I think the "outside" comment was for people bringing horses into public buildings, not houses.

In any case, the original request was to keep livestock out of common indoor areas.

If you want to keep your ox and your horse inside of your house, that's your call.  Don't stable them inside the craft hall, merchant buildings or the like.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »
He had specified houses in his comment, but I was mainly refering to the comments of in the city and near the fires.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 03:25:46 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
amn guys, you have to remember one thing. The cities of those time period, were encumbered, dirty, horses were common in the street, where the nobles would not care of steping on the child of a paysant. Horse bulls dung, were common in the streets, to a point if you look at the history of loius 14, it's not only the rotten food that were thrown at his personal guards and the mousquetere, but also the horse and bulsl dungs.

The game is a bit to asepticized (probably not the right spelling there) where everything seems clean, but you can be sure that if you were in a city of that era, the streets would be dirty as hell. An example of what it would be like is actually Vehl, London and Paris at the same time period as the architecture of the game, didn't have the entirety of the city streets covered with stone. Most of the city streets were dirt streets, where it was uncomon -not- to step in a mudd puddle or dung.

Now I know this is RL vs Game, but if you think about it, in any countries that had the same time period, and even todays that are still not at the same status of civilization, the streets are dirty, filled with animals and what comes with them.

I'm thinking even in the most barely civilized societies, riding your horse into the inn's common room or kitchen is a big no-no, unless it's being brought there to be butchered and served for dinner, perhaps.  It's just common sense to understand that no inn-keep is going to tollerate livestock -inside- their inn.  Most places of business would offer hitching posts or the like out front, or even their own private stables, but unless it's a ferrier's shop or some such I doubt you'd find a shop-keep willing to have the beasts inside.

The point of the thread was that it really ruins the immersion that makes playing here at Layonara more fun when some people are too lazy to tie down their livestock (horses or oxen) outside, and instead make up silly justifications for their lazyness that even they know are lame.

Hellblazer

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 03:31:00 pm »
Oh don't get me wrong Nehet. I agree of the outside of buildings. My comment was not to approve -inside- the building, but it was for the people saying to keep them outside of the cities or near the fires. If you read my comment carefuly I was talking of the streets, not the interiors, and it was in response to the people commenting on keeping the live stock out of the cities, or near the fires.

Link092

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:21 pm »
well, I'll just say I really enjoyed the impromptu RP I got from some one leaving an ox in a craft hall. Durn ox busted a hole in the ground... Thanks DM for helping through the grueling process of creating a single wooden replacement plank. :)

Nehetsrev

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:50:53 am »
*devillish grin*

How about adding in a check that gives a small chance someone's ox or horse will be stolen by NPC thieves/cattle rustlers when their owner leaves the area if the animal is left untended in some place other than a stable (or PC owned home)?  That'd be a nice drain on the excess gold in the economy, and maybe cause folks to make sure they more properly cared for their animals.  People could still recover their oxen using the ox-merchant and his exhorbitant rates for doing so, and maybe a similar feature could be added for horses at the horse merchants.

:P

Alatriel

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:12:18 am »
I don't have a problem with people bringing oxen inside crafting halls as long as they rp that they clean up after them if anything is dropped and that they bring them back outside after they're finished unloading/loading whatever.  It's the people that leave them there as their tie point that I don't like.  It makes it hard to get around and clutters the building.

jrizz

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 01:27:56 pm »
When I was a GM I would round up all the oxen left untended in town and in the craft halls and I would port them to the pen just outside the gates :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 01:37:21 pm »
Is that why my ox would be in there randomly?  :\

Rit Rugged

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 04:45:46 pm »
    Hi why are peope take ox into house that's not right

ystrday

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 05:03:22 pm »
    I remember when Johan took care of the oxen that was left in the craft hall in Hlint.. needless to say people learned really quick after that to tie up the oxen outside or in the barn.

lonnarin

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:36:29 pm »
    Well, if people really have such a problem with smelly, floor dumping, lumbering, fly encrusted beasts breaking the floor, does this mean half-giants aren't allowed in crafthalls as well?

superdoofus

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 07:20:42 am »
    yeah really :D

anything