The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Samurai class  (Read 393 times)

Fly From The Hood

• View Profile
    RE: Samurai class
    « Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 01:49:00 pm »
    I don't know where i heard this or if its even accurate, for i do not study oriental cultures and stuff like that, but anyway, i heard that the samurai's armor was often made of steel or something like that. Wouldn't that be considered a heavy armor? or am i mistakin?

cappyra

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2005, 09:47:00 am »
    I'll through in something here.  My impression... and I could be wrong...  is that the Dragon has summoned Heros to the land in order to save Layonara from the forces of Blood.  I felt that the World of Layonara was not a boundary from where these heros were summoned... rather they could have been summoned across many worlds and planes to come to a single place for a purpose.  My character while seemingly more traditional to the Theme of the World of Layonara has referenced things while roleplaying that could have existed on Layonara.. but probably do not (since it is from my backstory).

I think you could roleplay a Samurai type character in that fashion as being a stranger in a strange land speaking of odd customs and unknown places.  I think the roleplaying factor would be immense as you discribe your homeland to people.

As far as a group who's purpose is to protect thier lord...  I suppose that could still be possible from a strictly RP aspect.  Just like other players have formed the Cult of Corath.

Just some thoughts

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 04:35:00 am »
    I think the samurai class will be a good one... i maybe want to try it out later.... Not on my current character.... But i will

Blast9thewarrior

• View Profile
      « Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 03:39:00 pm »
      I study such things as samurai, as I take a Japanese class at school. Plus personal knowledge.

You cannot just 'become' a samurai. You are born into a samurai family, and your father samurai would teach you the ways. You spend every waking moment, when not in battle, training and/or working on things such as crafting. You are to follow your Shogun, or you are cast out. Many who are cast out kill themselves in shame, or become bandits as stated above. If you lose a battle, you kill yourself, which would be a problem on Layo with its death rules.

I'm just kind of against Samurai in a multiplayer setting that doesn't have an oriental area. Many play them like fake anime characters, and not like the real thing; they use catchy Japanese catch phrases seen on the anime in romaji. To me, it'd be an abused class, with many uninformed players wanting to be 1337  :)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 03:56:00 pm »
      wow this is an old one.

Anyway,

There is an asian type area on layo.  i've also seen some very well played samurai/oriental type characters before.  I've also seen some played very poorly that just thought being a samurai was cool (not necissarily on this server.)

In conclusion, a samurai class wouldn't really be much different than what you could achieve through other already existing classes.  Its an RP thing not really a class thing.  I think thats why this topic was dropped.

Blast9thewarrior

• View Profile
        « Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 04:01:00 pm »
        Okey Dokey  :)

My experience with people playing Samurai have always been bad, so I just wanted to avoid Mayhem part II.