The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: why are you waving that sword at me sir?  (Read 890 times)

lonnarin

RE: why are you waving that sword at me sir?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 09:50:00 am »
You think you folk have it bad, I have to wear disguises even to make it past the gates! :)  I'm not complaining at all, in fact I love the whole feel of it and usually carry about 2 or 3 sets of masks and outfits on me at all times.  The mage's robe with the tiger mask makes for a perfectly convincing Rakshasa, and the ogre head for the ugly old man suit has since been talking to Rakish like the Green Goblin's mask.  That's one of the possible things that can happen to you when you try to smoke the red fog of death, so DONT DO IT!

Hmmm, a master of disguises with multiple personality disorder=an argument every time you look in the mirror.

dfiremann

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 03:12:00 am »
    I know I'm in a very small minority, but I disagree with automatically sheathing all weapons in town, especially as I play a dwarf right now.  I suppose it is easy enough to RP grumbling and 'stupid human rules' but my interpretation of a dwarf is that swords and axes are their birthright.  They are an extention of their identity.  And in dwarven culture, they are also very useful tools.  I have run into the oppressive GMs that go immediately into 'not while I'm on, you won't' mode arbitrarily enforcing their will, and I suppose for keeping the king's peace on the server, that is their right.

But snap judgements without thinking it through sometimes is a bit rude.

Ok, now somebody help me put this soapbox away....I believe it goes up *there*.

orth

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 03:18:00 am »
    dfiremann - 1/5/2005  6:12 AM
    I have run into the oppressive GMs that go immediately into 'not while I'm on, you won't' mode arbitrarily enforcing their will, and I suppose for keeping the king's peace on the server, that is their right.

Really? On this server? *sigh* I'd figure they would do it with Garent or Ronus perhaps, but 'enforcing their will' for no reason other then an OOC feeling is beyond the team members here I thought.

Dorganath

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 06:36:00 am »
    This is, afterall, an RP server.  If it makes sense to have a weapon out, then I have no problem with it.  

Personally, I sheath my weapon, and remove my help in town....any town....out of respect for the townsfolk more than observance of any laws.

Seems like dwarven axes are generally rested on the shoulders...very non-threatening.  Actually a bit comforting, as I know how useful dwarves are when things get messy. :)

For many, though, leaving the weapon drawn and ready doesn't make sense.  I don't think there should be any kind of "rule" about this, but people should use their heads and think about how their character would play it.

tom bombadill

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 06:55:00 am »
    some people may not think about it like others do  merely because they are  thinking about other things at the time. the best way to enforce any kind of standard on layonara would be to RP with the character in question. thats how i learned. people asking why i hide my face when talking to them etc. . personally i sheath any weapon that could be when going into a store and mostly in town. however a large weapon or two handed one, well it really doesnt fit anywhere convienent so i leave it out , same as a large shield i no longer unequip in towns and such as it doesn't fit in my pocket to well.

Highlander3751

• View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: January 09, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
      Someone teased me about carrying my weapons in town once...
      "Why don't you sheath that thing? Hlint's a safe town."
      The next week was the infamous Drow invasion, then we had the mindflayer experiments, and there were always the meteor showers. I met her again a few days later and she had her own swords out. It was some good RP. I raised my eyebrow at seeing her swords out, she blushed and apologized for harassing me about my weapons, then we killed some drow together. Haven't seen her without her swords since...

lonnarin

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
      *An old man named "Jarvis" mutters to Highlander in the Hlint tavern, incredibly drunken and almost passed out*

Agreed laddie!  If Garent continually marches back and forth all day and refuses to defend the town when drow invade, why should he have his swords drawn, and bloody HEROES you you and I be threatened by him for local codes and ordinances?  Obviously he doesn't know how to use them correctly, or he wets his pants at the 1st sight of danger and hides behind the populace.  Meanwhile, my drawn swords plunge into drow lungs and vampire hearts...

Ask not what your sheriff asks of you, question instead what he has EVER done for you.  Authority lies in the hands of the Means of Protection, Power to the people!

anything