The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A pair of figures...  (Read 438 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

A pair of figures...
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:06:49 am »
[SIZE=10]//I take a bit of creative license with this post - forgive non-canonical depictions. Please feel free to PM me with suggestions for revisions of said non-canonical depictions. Karn appears courtesy of Kenty191.//[/SIZE]

Crowded streets, as always, fill the ear with a cacophonous blur of movement and speech, conversations half-heard, hawkers half-ignored, the constant clatter of shoes, feet, hooves, and wheels on the cobbles. In such a large city as Port Hempstead, the Golden City of the South, the crowd is no drab, brown and grey mass, but a tapestry of rich and varying colours - adventurers, nobles, and wealthy merchants showing their fortune in dyes and gilt. The downtrodden and poor make their way through the masses, too; begging for what they can, or going towards their place of labor.

But the citizens of the Brelin Kingdom are an industrious folk. Regardless of station, most move purposefully, or wait with a cross between impatience and a gratitude for peace - and not a few bear charms or beads coloured gold or yellow, blessed tokens to draw the smile of the Lucky Traveler.

Above the masses rise the great structures of Port Hempstead, and chief among them is a large complex, from which wave banners of Deliar. A pair of figures makes its way through the crowd towards it, their bearing at odds with the bustling air of lively business around them.

One in bright blues and reds, the other all in black, their shoulders are hunched, and their faces are drawn - not with hunger, nor with plague, but with grief. Clear and plain for all to see. Perhaps these pilgrims come for a cheer amongst the Blessed One's halls? Perhaps a pie and a jest will liven them. But no. They come with more urgent business, for they make their way quickly into the Temple of Deliar, requesting an audience with Froigrin Pincher.

They wait as long as they must. The dark-clothed one, an elf, seems lost - a world away in his mind... While the young man in brighter garb carries with him a resoluteness that shines through the grief in his dark eyes.

[SIZE=10]//Requesting an audience with the reigning priestess of Deliar. Dunno who to talk to, but I'll be waxing poetic. :3[/SIZE]

The following users thanked this post: kenty191

EdTheKet

Re: A pair of figures...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:02:07 pm »
It doesn't take long for them to get some time with Froigrin, who introduces herself as Fro.
She asks for introductions and what matter of business brings them to her.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 04:12:54 pm »
The young man, scrubbing a hand back through his corn-coloured hair, makes a deep, but plain bow; the elf at his side distractedly follows suit. The man meets the High Priestess' eyes, and manages a small smile, visibly settling himself into composure.

"A pleasure... Fro." A moment's hesitation over the lack of formality does little to deter him, however. "My name is Felix Rahth; my companion is Karn. I wish I could offer glad news, but..." Felix shakes his head, grimacing slightly. "Pyyran Rahth has fallen for the final time. I come to beg aid from the Lucky Traveler."

Absently, his hand goes to the clover-stamped, consecrated golden coin about his neck, rubbing it in a clearly unconscious manner. "If you'd permit me to explain in full before answering, perhaps my plea will be better-understood."  

EdTheKet

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:16:33 pm »
Realizing the potential gravity of the situation, she motions them to sit down and makes them some tea. She then sits down as well and asks him to continue.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:41:27 am »
Silence. A long moment of silence, as the young man takes a single, polite sip of his tea, and sits straighter, laying the cup gently down.

"My father was a farmer. When I was eight years old, he was murdered by gnolls. I was lost, helpless... Alone. The world was great and wide, full of uncertainty and pain, and a bone-deep cold. I drifted, for what seemed so long... But I was found. Found by an adventurer named Pyyran Rahth, whose tavern I'd wandered into, whose library drew my curiosity, even then.

"And he took me in. He brought me into a life of warmth and learning, where I found what I what I was born for. He gave me everything I am. I loved him for it.

"Now he, too, wanders without a home, unprotected and alone. He who took me in... Who lived on Luck's own whim, gave as much to Deliar in thanks, as perhaps any adventurer through all the ages..." The young man shakes his head.

"He made jests about his hypocrisy - tried to be fair to all the Gods and Goddesses, who treated him fairly. He was a friend to all. But he wore Deliar's symbol; an emerald clover, a charm for Luck. Never singular in his devotion, by his own admission, but... Oh, you knew him, knew how he was. He'd flip a coin at a crossroads, had his dice with him always..." The young man smiles sadly.

"Deals in goods and stories and coin - life was a true adventure to him, and riches meant nothing but a way to make his people safe and happy. He never devoted himself to the Provider and Protector, but he walked His path. And now...

"Now he's gone from this world. Alone. I come here to beg you, to beg Deliar himself if I can... To take him in. To protect him as he protected me; to give him the haven and the peace he deserves.

"Please. Help him, as he helped me."

kenty191

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:50:55 am »
The elf sits there gritting his teeth as Felix speaks, the emotion evident by a growing redness in his cheeks. He appears somewhere between anger and complete dispair as he looks down at the floor having set his tea down quite heavily soon after Felix began his plea. He remains silent right up until the word "Alone" is uttered.

At that the elf almost leaps up and strides out of the room, half throwing the door shut behind him. He manages to speak through his initial sobs,

"I'll be ou-ou'side..."

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 11:59:03 am »
Fro stirs her tea and takes a sip.

"Deliar teaches that in order to lead a fulfilling life, one must constantly strive to discover new ways to trade with the world.
Followers of Deliar need to be resourceful individuals, else they won't get very far.

Your friend may not have been formally part of the church, but if he lived his life in accordance with the Lucky Wanderer's teachings, I am sure that he will be taken in."
She nods once, taking another sip.

"A prayer of mine isn't going to help him one bit though, it'd be up to his actions in life, not anyone else's prayer."

She stands up "Have a heart then, young one, if he walked the roads in the Merchant of Fate's footsteps, you have nothing to worry about."