The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Angels Guild - What the Heck?  (Read 5485 times)

Ravemore

Angels Guild - What the Heck?
« on: November 02, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »
As Ferrit turns the door knob on the Angels Guild building to go inside to reconcile books and take inventory, the knob detaches from the door when she pulls it. It appears the wood around the knob has rotted away and is flaking away in papery shreds.

The following users thanked this post: Acacea, Anamnesis, RollinsCat, Aphel

Serissa

As Ferrit turns the door knob
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:25:32 am »

As Ferrit turns the door knob on the Angels Guild building to go inside to reconcile books and take inventory, the knob detaches from the door when she pulls it. It appears the wood around the knob has rotted away and is flaking away in papery shreds.

*Ferrit sighs and says* "What now?  Have those pesky kobolds learned a new trick?"  *Putting down the knob, she examines the door and the area nearby carefully.  She looks around hopefully for another guild member, or at least someone she can send with a message.  Then she walks around to the side door and inspects it before trying the door.*

cbnicholson

Some hours later, "Confound
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:21:50 pm »

Some hours later, "Confound it!"  Muttering dark oaths against shoddy craftmanship, Daniel stalks around to  the side door.  "Blast and bebother all rot! Is anyone in there?  I cannot get the door open!"

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Tobias

Celador peeks from around the
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:34 pm »

Celador peeks from around the corner grinning at Dan.

"Why must you always yell at things? You must've really missed not having me around to yell at if you have come to the point at yelling at doors.." 

He comes up from around the corner and notices the door handle.. 

"Oh, well.. You don't see that every day, do you? I would guess termites but, it looks more rotted then anything, aye?" He says as he turns to Dan.

Celador bends down and studies the rotted handled then reaches out to sense if the cause is magical. 

Ravemore

//Celador... please roll a
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:33:31 pm »

//Celador... please roll a spellcraft check.

Ravemore

As Daniel stalks around to
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:00 pm »

As Daniel stalks around to the side door making “angry old man sounds”, he can see that it is open and Ferrit is inside getting ready to lay her heavy logbook on a table. He hears Celador from around front and looks over his shoulder to answer, but is cut short in mid-sentence as his foot goes through a floorboard. His eyes nearly bulge out of his head as he sees he stepped into a patch of rotten wood that gave way.

As Celador begins looking closer at the rotting door knob he hears the sound of wood breaking from the side of the building.

Both Daniel and Celador hear a crash from inside the building. As Daniel looks up to see what the source of the new noise was, with his foot still in the floor, he sees that the wood table that Ferret laid her logbook on has fallen apart and crashed to the floor. Yup... Rotten wood table legs.

cbnicholson

Favoring Celador with the
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 08:30:17 am »

Favoring Celador with the greatest scowl his mustache can summon, Daniel steps carefully out of the hole, testing his footing as he does so. "I say, this cannot be natural, a rotted door handle maybe, but all this, nay."  Daniel bends over searching the rotted wood of the floor for signs of insects or wetness using his hard earned knowledge of woodcraft to try and figure out the puzzle before him.

Oscar Wilde

Aphel

A young elf, dressed in
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:03:55 am »

A young elf, dressed in sturdy and rugged clothes, peeks into the shop for a moment. He looks at Ferrit, Daniel and Celador, curious about what just happened. "Uhm...what's going on?" Perhaps yet another extortion racket. Perhaps a druid in disagreement with the guild. Perhaps a disgruntled customer. Weird stuff. He liked weird stuff, at times.

Serissa

"You're right, Daniel.  There
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:39 pm »

"You're right, Daniel.  There must be mischief afoot, and the chances are it's magical.   Celador, are you getting anything?"

Ferrit kneels to inspect the crumbled table, even pulling out a small magnifying lens to look for termite tunnels and such.

"Is it only wood that's rotting, or are other things affected, too?"  She stands and begins walking around the room thumping couches, metal torch holders, pottery, and anything else she comes across.

Tobias

//14+37=51
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »

//14+37=51

Tobias

Celador, still in deep focus
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »

Celador, still in deep focus on the damaged door, extends his senses through the open door to the table.

"Only thing I'm getting at this moment is a strong whiff of Daniel's cologne.. I assume that's Lana's doing, Daniel?" he asks while maintaining his effort at the task at hand. 

//Concentration check 8+30=38

Aphel

The ranger sniffles briefly,
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 07:05:08 am »

The ranger sniffles briefly, and then goes to take a look at the rotten wood, to see if he could find a possible reason for this.

cbnicholson

Daniel continues to search
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 08:38:33 am »

Daniel continues to search for physical causes for the rot muttering something about wizards who are too smart for their own good. "Tis soap, wizard, naught else."   When Aden begins helping, he offers the elf a smile, "Ah, a real woodworking expert, excellent."

Oscar Wilde

Tobias

Celador scoffs "I'll have you
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:40 pm »

Celador scoffs "I'll have you know that I'm well educated on all matters of wood- wait that didn't come out right..  I've worked with with all types of wood from building materials to the finest bows.. So there.. abd besides i'm not certain that whatever this is, is natural. Doubt  a woodsman could tell us that."

He turns to Aphel and smiles. "No offense, Aphel. Any insight you could provide would be most welcomed"  

Ravemore

As Daniel scowls and searches
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 10:27:51 pm »

As Daniel scowls and searches around the hole in the floor he does not see any evidence of insect activity, and the rotted wood is dry to the touch. He does note that the wood appears to be rotting from the outside to the inside. It has a slight musty smell to it.

Ferrit’s examination of the table legs finds that rot from wood flooring underneath the legs seems to have crept into them. The rot seems to be spreading to surrounding intact wood. Her magnifying glass does not find any insects or grubs. No termite tunnels can be seen. Her cursory search of the room and other property finds that wood seems to be the only type of material being adversely affected.

She heads back to the chest containing the “mystery yew branch”, a little fearful at what she might find. He fears are confirmed. The bottom of the chest is now rotted through, and there is some deterioration beginning to show in the yew branch itself. It is likely that the chest will fall through the floor if it is not moved soon.

Celador concentrates on the rotten wood, and after muttering a few cantrips he discovers something that has him slightly puzzled.

//PM in progress...

Aphel’s examinations come up with similar results as Daniel and Ferrit. The rot appears to be natural, but it advances at an extraordinary rate. He has never seen or heard of anything like this in his travels.

Tobias

Celador drops his focus and
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 11:27:51 pm »

Celador drops his focus and turns to the group.

" We have an issue.. there is a slight emanations coming from not the wood but from under the guild itself.. like the earth underneath and around the guildhall is radiating whatever it is.. I cannot put my finger on it but, I'm confident it is not a manipulation of the Al'Noth.  Saying that, it has similarities with tribal rituals that I studied under my apprenticship with my father.."

He looks at each member with a concerned expression.

"Angels, we have a problem.. I need to go to my study and see if I can retrieve the book about ritual magic.. Perhaps I can negate whatever this trickery or curse is before it destroys anything else.  I advise each of you here to consider anything that we have taken in to the guildhall in the last month or so that seemed out of place or just odd." 

He turns on his heels, and starts to make for the door. 

cbnicholson

Daniel furrows his brow, "The
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 08:20:13 am »

Daniel furrows his brow, "The earth itself you say?  Odd that , since most of Hempstead rests upon a great block of stone honeycombed with sewers and caves.  Perhaps a bit of spelunking is in order?"

Oscar Wilde

Ravemore

The sill just fell off one of
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 02:06:44 pm »

The sill just fell off one of the windows. It drops to the ground in a puff of dust. A farmer from a nearby homestead pokes his head into the doorway and starts to ask something... but when he sees the state of the wood in the area says "Yep... you too. My barn just fell down on some of my hogs! What the heck is going on!?"

//This is going to go to calendar soon and will be about a three hour quest.

swoop

*Quenton pops up out of a
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 06:57:16 pm »

*Quenton pops up out of a rotten chest and remarks to the farmer* OH NO! are the hogs ok? I can come help fix em up if ya need! 

Ravemore

The Farmer shakes his head at
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 07:56:45 pm »

The Farmer shakes his head at Quenton... "Thanks, but they are ok. Just some minor scratches, bumps, and bruises. Any idea what the heck is going on? "He holds up the metal portion of a hoe, a small nub of rotten wood sticking out of the end. "I found no sign of insect activity. This is just plain weird!"

*The metal handle to the chest lid pops off in Quenton's hand.

anything