The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Mariner's Hold washed away  (Read 780 times)

minerva

Mariner's Hold washed away
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:14 pm »
[SIZE=16]Conversation overheard in Port Hempstead[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 1: "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]I tell you friend I have never seen anything like it in all my days.  The wall of water was taller than the harbor lighthouse.  Snapped it like a twig it did as it rolled into the city.  No warning except a rumble in the earth and then the wave.   Was only chance that my wife and I were on that hill.  If we'd have been with the ship, well I know I would not be here today."[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 2: "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Any idea why it happened?"[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 1: "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Why does anything happen?  Draws from his pipe  I heard sailors on the trip here saying there was a bright green light on the ocean just before the earth shook, but you know how superstitious sailors are.  Some of them were even saying they saw a sea dragon. Shakes his head in disbelief[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 2:  "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Sea Dragon. Believe that when I see one."[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 1:  "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Me too.  Some pointy eared elf in one of those robes of  Voltrexian silk tried to tell me it was a surge in what he called the Al'Noth.  Something about someone tampering with things they did not fully understand.  But, those magic type blame everything on magic."[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 2: "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Yeah they do, still not sure who I'd believe a sailor or an elf."[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 1 : "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Maybe Mist decided the streets of Mariner's Harbor needed cleaning.  Who knows?  All I know is my warehouse is in the bottom of the bay along with the fastest ship in my fleet. I got dock workers pleading to me to pay them even when there is no docks.  Families to feed and all that.  You'd think the simpletons would put something away instead of drinking it ."[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 2:  "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]How badly off is the city?"[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16][/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 1:  "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Most of the docks are gone. It will take months to dreg the harbor of all the debris.  I'm sending my ships to Lans'port till the mess is cleaned up.  All those boarding houses and ware houses along the docks turned into toothpicks.  The brick buildings are still standing but the flooding and dead fish are already bringing sickness.  Those of means and good houses just got flooded.  It was the dregs of the city that got washed away. Some looting but most things got sucked back to the sea when the wave retreated."[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16] [/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]Merchant 2:  "[/SIZE][SIZE=16]Sounds like I might be able to make a bit of true on building materials.  Thanks for the information friend."[/SIZE]

// Of course there is no module change to reflect this , but boat service out of Mariner's Hold will be patchy for a few weeks.  Ships will still be sailing into the port though. Please RP this appropriately.

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Dorax Windsmith, Chongo

deagle

Re: Mariner's Hold washed away
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:49:25 am »
*upon hearing the news, Starr sends a letter via earth mephit to Merabo at the temple in Stone*

//posted letter to Merabo under Beryl forum

Serissa

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:22:00 am »
*Ferrit gasps when she hears the news, and says to herself...*  "A bright green light and a surge in the Al'Noth!  Oh, no!  Surely it was not the destruction of that strange green crystal, half a world away?"

*She approaches the men and asks the exact date and time of the disaster.*

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:13:10 am »
A hooded man in blue walks through Mariner's Hold from the inland gate toward the harbor area.  Though he looks around quite a bit, giving small bits of aid along his path, he moves steadily toward the Weary Traveler.  After a moment of looking over the outside of the building, he proceeds inside.  

He surveys the refugees and other displaced persons and eventually finds the two women he sought. He converses with them for some time, helping them distribute food and clean water to the collected and other in a seemingly endless string of tasks.  After a while, he bids them farewell and leaves the tavern to the harbor area once more.

He stands looking out into he harbor and beyond.  Someone close enough might see his eyes looking distant if they bothered to pause long enough to check.  After a few moments of this, he moves to another point in the harbor and repeats this posture several times, eventually moving to the remains of a breakwater as far out into the harbor as he dares. Again, he stares far out into the water for several moments.  At last, he frowns slightly, shakes his head and vanishes.

Grid Blader

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:54:26 am »
*Hearing the news Q packs up his healing kits, his potions, and anything eles he thinks will help with the injured and sick and sets out to help as much as he can, charters a boat to sail there as fast as he can.*

*The boat can only get so close to the shore with all the debire in the water, Q smiles and dives over the side with the medical kits and potions and starts to swim to shore*

Riven

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:26:21 pm »
*A young fancy-free female wemic returns from her jaunts in the forests east of Mariners Hold, her spear hung with dried meat and skins, and her saddlebags full with apples....a lilting purring song upon her lips*

*Her form goes rigid, even her tail stilled, as she smells the devastation ahead. Leaping forward, she rushes to the town gates, and the shocking sights. Then bolting forward, concern etched in her eyes, she shares her apples and meats with all who need it, and prepares to venture back into the forest to gather more.*

"Ashi hopes the rice and grains she gave to the tavern last week are put to good use this day!"

*Then she leaps over fallen timbers, and races out of town*

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:34:29 am »
As Lance Stargazer arrives to the city destroyed he jumps off the ship in which he is traveling and gets to the shore

As he come he start to help the victims of the flood with heling kit and words of Hope.

He writtes down a letter to the Orcbashers and Toran's temple to inform the grievance of the situation.

// Posted In Orcbashers and Toran's Forums.

deagle

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:07:57 am »
*docks in at Lans Port via a fast merchant ship. Heads to Stone and stops into the temple to see Merabo //see Beryl forum*

*Starr then heads to MAriners Hold with a few greenstones and malachites to assist...carrying medicines, bandages, herbs, some food, pots to boil water, and stew pots.
 Arriving at Mariners he stops and surveys the destruction...*

Oh by the Deep Mother...two ports destroyed...

* he quickly gets his assistants to set up an area and get the pots a cooking*

All of you listen....keep clean water boiling, get some pots cooking herbal tea for antitoxins, and get some stew cooking...it will help to keep the wounded strong and heal the ill.
 Be ready youngs ones...you are about to see things you have never witnessed...pestilence and illness will set in soon if they don't hurry to clean the area and then we will really have our work cut out for us. Send messages back and forth to the temple to keep them abreast of our situation. I will head to the city officials to let them know we are here to lend aid.

*As he heads through the destruction and bodies, stopping to help now and then he stops and looks up*

By the deep mother...the inn....once home of the beloved Freelancers. Oh please tell they survived this....

*upon entering he sees the place strewn with wounded and survivors..he looks for any that he knows but for stops when he see someone giving commands*

I am Starr Sapphire...Alexandrite of Her Perfection....Beryl's temple of Stone is here to lend aid. I have set up out in the fray to lend assistance, I have greenstones and malachites with me to assist in medical treatments. Should you need something please send word and we will asssist with what we can.

*once he has finished there, he sets his worries aside and heads back out into the devestation. he seeks and finds the city officials that are directing guardsmen and other city denizens to aid*

Sirs,

I am Starr Sapphire...Alexandrite of Her Perfection, be advise that the Temple of Beryl in Stone has sent aide. My brethren and I have set up a medical area on the perimeter to lend assistance. We have pots boiling for fresh water, herbal teas to fight off disease, and stew to help warm the bellies.
 If you have cooks that can assist...please send them with materials to began preparing mass quantities to assist the wounded and ill and deposed families from there homes.
 Seek me out or ask one of my assistants to find me should you need me.

*looks down*...you tighten that bandage...if you leave it loose it will become infected and possibly worse.

*heads back to his base sight and sees that the others have things progressing. He prepares missives to send to the temple and to the bashers*

Goldwin Blacknight

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:43:26 am »
After seeing the devastation first hand-Goldy packs a bag with tools and heads off to gather relief supplies for refugees and the rebuilding of the town. Thinking to himself "They're going to need some fine linen bandages for the more seriously injured, some strong oak planks, and maybe even a few freshly baked pies to bring some cheer to their hearts. Oh, and a bit of gold to pay the help." "Best drop it at The Foundation so they can get it to whomever be organizing the effort!" Jogging off at his usual pace, he heads out to secure supplies so the homeless can get under shelter as soon as possible.

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 12:24:52 pm »
*As Lance recieve a confirmation letter from the guild , he head in search for Starr to share the information, and then search for the autorithy to let them know the support of the guild , asking the materials that are needed  *

// Again Posted in Orcbasher forum.

Please inform us if some materials are needed to start the task .... :D

minerva

From the palace of King William III
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:58:39 pm »
From the palace of King William III

His royal highness is most grieved over the recent disaster to befall the docks of the city of Mariner's Hold. He wished to assure his subjects that the palace, while sustaining some flooding was not significantly damaged, nor were the city's walls protecting them from the wilds of the forest.
 Court scholars and mages are actively seeking the cause of the wave, and at this time it cannot be ruled out as some form of attack from the scrourges of the Taur'en Hills in retalaition for recent victories on the its borders. Citizens are once again warned to travel with care outside the cities and be wary of Taur'en bandits.
 Due to the war effort, the King and commander Sagewald are unable to safely deflect defensive troops from the borders. As such the tax cuts promised in the last city council meeting have been canceled to assist in funding the reconstruction efforts.

The Queen and her Ladies will be sewing bandages as needed and organizing relief efforts to the city licensed ophanages and shelters. Those wishing to donate materials of the food, clothing and healing nature are asked to address their items to the Queen's court.

Sir Rodk of the port authority will be in charge of the dregging of the harbor and rebuilding of the docks. Temporary berths are still available for supply ships in the King's Navy Yards, which was not as severely damaged.

//excuse any spelling errors - OO issues

minerva

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:31:48 pm »
From the Palace of King William III

[circulated to all who ask in the proper channels]

The city Chamberlain wishes to announce, now that the total damage to the city has been assessed, the extent of damage the Great Wave caused:

In the Exeter section of the city by the Northern wall to the Scale District there were 106 homes lost and a further 310 damaged. The outer section of the North wall sustained heavy damage but is holding.

The Fishemonger Corner to the Sacanton section pier lost 10 warehouses with a further 3 taking serious damage. Docks in this area were completely lost to a measure of 8 dock sections.

Heading West along Fryer Lane and South Abbner Hill a further 45 dwellings and 5 warehouses lost. Among the dwellings were several taverns and rooming houses. Two hundred and ten dwellings in that area suffered considerable water damage but are still habitable. Two dock sections were lost and considerable damage was sustained to 4 more.

The western extent of severe damage was in Mackrel Alley and along Sister Street. Another 25 boarding houses and the Twinhope orphanage were destroyed along with severe damage to the Prunilla Market/Temple complex and a further 85 structures and one section of pier.

Loss of life is estimated at this point to be in the range of between 1250 and 2000 souls from the wave and a further 5-800 from injuries sustained in the disaster. Counts cannot be determined due to many bodies being swept back out to sea in the recoil of the wave. Many lost were sailors or transients to the city.

A total of 25 ships were lost in the waves as well. Crews of most are still unaccounted for. Estimate loss of seamen is between 250 and 300 additional souls.

Dwellings lost = 177
 Warehouses = 15
 Dwellings/warehouses seriously damaged = 608
 Dock units to be repaired = 15
 City wall units needing repair = 10
 Total lives lost = 1500-2300

-------------------------------------------------------------

One Single Family Home: 150 Needed

25 units of planking
 5 iron studs
 6 tin wire
 20 glass ingots
 7 Iron ingots
 5 Carpenter tools
 20 Bolts of cloth
 10 wooden staves
 50 units of limestone
 20 units of sand
 5 buckets
 50 Units of clay
 1000 True for Labor

One 10 Unit Boarding House : 27 Needed

100 Units of planking
 25 Iron studs
 15 Tin wire
 40 Glass ingots
 25 Iron Ingots
 8 Carpenters tools
 30 Bolts of cloth
 28 Wooden Staves
 75 units of Limestone
 40 Units of Sand
 5 Buckets
 100 Units of clay
 2500 True for Labor

One unit of Dock Repair: 15 needed

25 Units of planking
 20 Iron Studs
 20 Bronze Ingots
 15 Iron Ingots
 25 Ropes
 15 Wooden Staves
 80 Units of Sand
 140 Units of clay
 40 Large molds
 10 small molds
 1000 True for labor

Housing Repair only: 608 needed

15 Units of Planking
 3 Iron Studs
 2 Tin Wires
 3 Iron Ingots
 10 Glass Ingots
 2 Carpenter Tools
 10 Bolts of Cloth
 7 Wooden Staves
 15 Units of Limestone
 10 Units of Sand
 15 Units of Clay
 2 Buckets
 450 True for Labor

Perimeter Wall repair: 10 sections

80 Units of Sand
 60 Units of Limestone
 60 Units of Clay
 10 Large molds
 10 Wooden staves
 300 True for Labor

Riven

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:11:11 pm »
*Tears are streaming down her tawny furred face. Aka'ashi is stricken, wandering amongst the desolation, her heart aching, brain numb, limbs slack. The smells of putrid death are everywhere. Her muscles hang limp, from days of hunting and bringing food to the wreckage of Mariners Hold. Her faltering paws carry her out of the wreckage, to the broken landscape, and the trunk of a standing tree. She is broken inside, and collapses, a slow unconquerable wave of despair claiming her. Tears held back in the work, in trying to be strong for others, now gush, and her sides heave in a torrent of wails and grief.*

Quote from: Riven
*A young fancy-free female wemic returns from her jaunts in the forests east of Mariners Hold, her spear hung with dried meat and skins, and her saddlebags full with apples....a lilting purring song upon her lips*

*Her form goes rigid, even her tail stilled, as she smells the devastation ahead. Leaping forward, she rushes to the town gates, and the shocking sights. Then bolting forward, concern etched in her eyes, she shares her apples and meats with all who need it, and prepares to venture back into the forest to gather more.*

"Ashi hopes the rice and grains she gave to the tavern last week are put to good use this day!"

*Then she leaps over fallen timbers, and races out of town*

LightlyFrosted

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 11:20:15 pm »
//Sorry, looking to clarify here.  Are the materials listed under each sub-listing what's required for each individual units - i.e. 50 units of planking times 150 houses - or are those lists the entirety of what is required for the above buildings to be repaired?

minerva

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:28 pm »
// Obviously the entire adventuring community will not single-handly rebuild the city

- the list under each heading is for one unit - One home, one rooming house, one unit of dock, one unit of wall, one house/building repaired and the number is the number in the city.

This way players can as individuals or as groups or guilds make a target of what they want to assist in the repair of.   Some merchant types would be more interested in getting the docks back up and running over housing while others might only have the means to repair existing structures and not to tackle a whole house.

Those wanting the "true" value of sponsering the purchase of materials over the collection and crafting of them, I have a figure in mind, you'll have to PM me for it.

darkstorme

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 11:50:02 pm »
*A cowled figure spends a few moments scribbling on a piece of parchment and tacks the note up under the posted notice*

Total Cost of Repairs
  • Carpentry
    • 15945 Wooden planks
    • 2182 sets of Carpenters' Tools
    • 6837 Wooden Staves

• Metallurgy and Mining
    • 300 Bronze Ingots
    • 3774 Iron Ingots
    • 3549 Iron Studs
    • 2521 Spools of Tin Wire

• Pottery and Glassmaking
    • 10160 Glass Ingots
    • 12160 Bags of Sand
    • 22020 Lumps of Clay
    • 700 Large Molds
    • 150 Small Molds

• Miscellaneous
    • 9890 Bolts of Cloth
    • 19245 Blocks of Limestone
    • 375 Lengths of Rope
    • 2101 Buckets *crossed out*
    • 2100 Buckets

In addition to 509 100 True for labour.

// (For anyone who's interested: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7jMUBaVIjoJEF9Ice3FeNA&hl=en)

jan

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:24 am »
// any preference on planks ? or only need hickory ?

minerva

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:02 am »
//Wood be wood ..hickory, oak, yew....

**blanches slightly when darkstorme does the math**

I adjusted the numbers a bit downward

Just so that it's clear - I am using Ed information on the value of an average commoner stone and wood home to be about 6000t adjusted a bit for the wonky economy.

darkstorme

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »
The same cloaked figure, this time bent double under the weight of a bag of silicates, pauses in front of the poster.  Quickly scanning the revised estimates, he makes a few deft revisions to his own tacked-on parchment.  Quietly, he murmurs,

Still an impossibly vast undertaking.  A hundred men could labour all their lives and never be done.  One step at a time, I suppose.

Brightening, he reaches on top of his already overloaded pack, and undoes the cord holding a bucket in place.  He sets it beneath the notice.  So doing, he draws a stroke through one of the numbers and revises it.  Whistling, he hoists the bag atop his shoulder again and sets off.

minerva

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 06:35:53 pm »
Another issue from the Palace:

[again to those who ask the proper people]

The Queen and her Ladies have organized a tempory shelter for mothers and children in the Fifth Street district.  The offices and storage buildings of Lord Demetris Dantweil have been procured for this purpose. Lady Dantweil and Lady Uma are overseeing the stocks of food, clothing and bandages.  The list they have provided the Court for distribution is as followes

Food:

Bread : 80 Units
 Fruit :  100 Units of Apples, Grapes, or pails of Berries
 Ale :  50 Units of weaker ale as clean water at times is scarce
 Eggs: 70 Units (2 flats[boxes])
 Milk :  60 Units
 Meats: 50 Units of Roasts of any type
 Fish: 40 Units of Dried or Smoked Fish

Temporary Linens and Clothing

Cloth Cloaks :  100
 Basic Boots : 100
 Basic robes or Garb : 100
 Blankets :100 [animal skins med- large animals, or bolts of cloth]

Healing Supplies:

Light Healing potions 100
 Medium Healing potions 30
 Aloe Leaves : 35 Measures
 Comfrey Leaves : 35 Measures
 Holy water of an acceptable deity: 100 measures
 Cots : 100

Donations of True are always welcome.  The estimated cost of providing food, clothing and shelter for a family with 2 children until they can get back into a home is about 500 true.  The wave displaced roughly 750 families.

anything