The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Assault  (Read 1863 times)

Ravemore

The Assault
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:11:56 pm »
Continued from “Reward”Captain Dreardan and the Lucindite Jason poured over a map with Storold and Aesthir. The location of the portal was in Co’rys, in an ancient crypt known for incursions by “outsiders”, a little less than 100 miles northeast of the town of Halin.

Lance Stargazer

*Aesthir presents his notes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:58:58 pm »

*Aesthir presents his notes about his own investigation on how the remanants of magic were shown around the town, upon learning of the events that transpired during the interrogatory, the man nods slowly listening his mind still and his facets unmoving*

Well then .. there is that .... So the portal is that and it has to be closed then, Are we aware of the kind of effects that this may have ?  Or what to expect on this kind of events,  it sounds like its not appropiate to do a militaric approach, but rather a small group , but of course we are speaking about unknown numbers by the enemy.

What do we know ? 

*Aesthir measures the distance beetwen the point of the camp and the Town of Halin, and then to the Portal making a triangulation of distances *

mumbles

*Danny hears of the ongoings
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:53 pm »

*Danny hears of the ongoings and makes his way to centre , he asks around for a little information and is pointed  in Aestir way , aftr seking h out e persn heits at the fire and tries to get  head up of what is goin on*

Es bee a whoile Lad ae egoin t bring meh ope speed oike? mahe oi canlen a had ,boi thar sounds of ting ye ned oll thar elp ye ca get....

Ravemore

As Aesthir conveys the
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:00 pm »

As Aesthir conveys the information regarding the remnants of magic and minor fluxes in frequency he found around the town of Dapplegreen, Jason purses his lips in concern and states that he is going to investigate that further and excuses himself.

Captain Dreardan nods as he leaves and then addresses Aesthir. “The number of the enemy and their relative strength are unknown at this point. If the Pit Creature is any indication of their power and ability, I would have to respectfully disagree on the smaller party idea. I fully intend on providing my full detachment to bolster the offensive operation. I would agree to hold them in reserve though. If there is no force of adventurers willing to take up this cause though, we are fully prepared to go at it on our own.” He nods approvingly at the figures Aesthir calculates from his triangulation. "It might be prudent to seek out the assistance of a tracker or scout familiar with the geography to perform some reconnaissance."

Lance Stargazer

*Aesthir nods slowy and looks
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:14:08 pm »

*Aesthir nods slowy and looks satisfied*  Of course that a main offensive idea would be perfectly suited against an army of such creatures, yet the first thing to learn here is the numbers and the situation, only for that the small party would be used, Wars are fought by soldiers and militiamen, but won by strategy and knowledge, I do feel that if we move too close we may lose the advantage of positioning, but again all this is suppositions, we just need to secure a place for the main camp and all the supply lines for those, we can't but to start to get ready for the assault anyway ... Time its not our ally here, nor are the weakness of the creatures.

*he nods*  As for the scout,  I had one who may be well versed in this, sadly he has been lost to us, a good idea.  *Aesthir looks upon the maps, observing how near would be from the borderline with Ulgrid's*

Ravemore

Captain Dreardan, Aesthir,
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:46:21 pm »

Captain Dreardan, Aesthir, Danny, and Storold look up as a scout throws open the door and rushes into the barracks. The man tosses his quiver and bow to the floor and immediately begins pointing out locations on the map. The Rofirein captain had dispatched him nearly a week ago and all involved were eagerly awaiting his return. He was a free agent with a long record of employ in many large military campaigns, and the fact that he was a griffon rider made him even more valuable because of his speed. His services did not come cheap…

“Your objective is going to be a difficult one captain.”  

The scout goes on to explain that the portal appears to be in the ancient crypt as they had suspected. He was not able to gain entry but he was able to observe troop movements and patrols in the area… all of which supported this conclusion. He estimated less than 100 total, but their races and types varied greatly.

“There are large numbers of alien creatures within a day’s ride of the crypt. They are heavily armored, armed, and of various types… most of which I have never seen before.” He gives a somewhat sour grin and continues… “You will not need to worry about the bandits and Rashish the Red though. I observed a feast taking place several nights ago. They were present, but not necessarily “guests”… if you know what I mean.” He shudders a little at the memory. “Evidently their services were no longer required… which means you may be running out of time if you intend on engaging them and capturing the portal.

After receiving all of this information, Captain Dreardan turns to the adventurers present and informs them that his men will depart for Halin the next morning, and any who wish to join are welcome.

Ravemore

Event has been
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:01:26 pm »

mixafix

A parrot is seen to be doing
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 07:04:42 am »

A parrot is seen to be doing its best to negotiate some information from a parked griffon before fluttering towards the assault group and circling around uncertainly. "This is no place for old parrots." the Druid concludes sinking into the treeline and re-emerging in natural druid form, more an emmissary, a representation from nature, for of course the natural way of things was seriously at odds with the way of things. Didn't need an assault group to work that out. No what they needed was a view from nature right now. She leant heavily on an oak staff and stopped by the guard. "Foresta Fiveoaks of the Five Oak Grove, from within the Forest of Fog, I'm expected!...in an unexpected kind of way. I'm here to represent nature." The time for other shapes would likely be later.

mumbles

After hearing te news of the
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 12:16:31 pm »

After hearing te news of the scout , Danny  maks sure everyhing is allright for a few hours ... He then sets off for Hempstead where he stocks up on supplies , for those that are going to embark on such task.

Pibemanden

*Storold Speaks up* I might
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:14:43 am »

*Storold Speaks up* I might be able to banish a few of the deamons, however there are way to many for a permanent banishment of them all. I am a little concerned about sending in normal soldiers, as they might not be suited for fighting against these creatures at all. I would suggest that we hit hard and fast once we hit, as they might have ways of alerting allies which are not restricted to mere shouting and watchfulness.

Furthermore they are next to a portal, where more creatures might start pouring out if they get notified about the fighting. So far it seems we have Aesthir, The dwarf and the servant of Nature. Do you know of anyone else who might answer a call for aid Captain or Jason? We are sure to need everyablebodied adventures for this task if we are to have any chance of success.

// Could you please post the time for the event in your own timezone so I can be sure when to get up if I am to make the event.

davidhoff

*Griff rides up on his
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 11:03:06 am »

*Griff rides up on his Warpony as they are making preparations for their trek to Halin.  He nods to Danny, Storold, Aesthir and Foresta before turning to Captain Dreardan*

Aye der Captain Dreardan, O'im Griff Silversand of the Order of Valorous Axe.  Kin in Ulgrid sent word tah meh Order say'n ye gota Demon problem brui'n.  Oi come 'ere tah lend meh axe in deh name a Vorax, the Eternally Vigilant.  Let me know how Oi can 'elp.

*He surveys the Captain's men and other's present trying to size up the party's strength and readiness as he smokes from a yew pipe*

Ravemore

// 12:00 PM Pacific Standard
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 11:05:55 am »

// 12:00 PM Pacific Standard Time - Washington, USA. Saturday, May 31st.

Lance Stargazer

The call has been set out, I
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:35:28 am »

The call has been set out, I personally refuse to believe fully that all our enemies will be as the pit fiend we saw here, if it were such raw power may be enough to level the whole continent they had the desire so, alas i don't fully discard it, anyway we should be acting as if they were able to. 

I am sure that the call for help has been set out, but the same as that Vincent I am sure that the creature or creatures had other agents among the people, we should be wary upon the actions we see . and hopefully more help manage to come in time.  With the hurry this situation its escalating we as you mentioned may need everysingle person we could get on our side.

*He looks upon the dwarves and nods slowly as if having an inner satisfaction*

*Then turning towards the Captain*   The horse is ready and Just the night rest separate us of the departure, I say we make it count, The gods know when we may be able to get another. 

Brutus_Clawfoot

Mangus comes stumbling out
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 08:43:30 am »

Mangus comes stumbling out of a thick part of the nearby woods barking orders at an unseen entity. He has several arrows sticking out of his shield and armor. 

"Dert'll teach yew goblins to tangle with me! Next time Er won't let you off so easy! Next time Er'll fell atleast one erv ya!"

Two more arrows come flying out of the woods and find purchase in his helmet.

"An' let that be a lesson to ya! Never bring the bow  to a club fight!"

He raises his club in the air and waves it as if to stress the point. The gesture makes him look a bit like a crotchety old man yelling at kids for being on his lawn.  As if in response another arrow comes flying out of the woods and sticks on the club making a wooden vibrating sound. 

"Right!" 

Mangus then takes a quick look around to see the assembly of well armed adventurers. He quickly begins to remove the arrows from his armor shield and club as if to sweep them under the rug somehow.

Huh? Werta we got here? Something Er kin do to Help? Erm mighty good at collect'm arrows!"

//I can pop in at 3 o'clock Eastern which I think is just on time for your 12 o'clock Pacific if you'll have me.

Ravemore

The Griffon threw back its
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 01:05:00 pm »

The Griffon threw back its head a little and let out a sound somewhat between the purr of a great cat and the screech of a bird of prey… a sound of greeting or welcome.

As Foresta made her way into the hustle and bustle of Dapplegreen she felt somewhat saddened by all of those around her that had lost their way from nature and had imprisoned themselves in this artificial walled enclosure they called a town. After she introduced herself to one of the many Rofirein Knights readying for departure she was directed to the barracks and Captain Dreardan. As she approached and introduced herself again the Captain smiled and welcomed her. “Lady Fiveoaks, we are grateful to have a representative of Nature on this mission.”

As this interaction was taking place a well-armed and armored dwarf trotted up on a war pony nodding to the growing assembly of adventurers as he reigned in his mount. Captain Dreardan’s disposition seemed to improve a little more as the dwarf introduced himself, and the air of extreme concern seemed to dissipate from his countenance. “The strong arms of the Order of the Valorous Axe are always welcome master dwarf! ”

Griff’s keen military eye discerns that the Captain’s men are both well-equipped and in a state of high morale. He also notes a noticeable mix of adventurer types, some of which he is familiar with from past expeditions and missions.

---------

Captain Dreardan turns to Storold and listens to what he has to say. “Yes, the tactical situation is indeed delicate. I will strongly consider your words Storold… they hold much wisdom. We still have time to make changes to the plan of attack though. We have a long journey to Halin, and we will reassess our capabilities before making the final leg of our assault. I fully agree that the strike must be hard, fast, and surgical. I have also sent messages to nearby towns and outposts requesting assistance… we’ll see if any more answer the call.”

He then turns to Aesthir, “I hope you are right Aesthir… if they do have the capabilities of the pit fiend though, we may be in for a difficult fight. Their restraint speaks volumes of the control their leaders must have over them. I agree, we should proceed as if they all have the power of Dalianavera.” The Captain then excuses himself to check on preparations.

---------

Before Danny departs on his supply run,  Captain Dreardan approaches him and reminds him that they head out for Halin at dawn and hands him a map with their planned camping locations. “If you are not back in time for our departure you can rendezvous with us at one of these sites. See if you can recruit any more able bodies along the way.”

---------

The following morning the men quickly load their gear, mount up, and head out of town. After about a half hour swords are drawn and horses are quickly spurred into defensive formation as a wild club wielding,  green skinned, half orc runs screaming out of the trees near the roadside, arrows whizzing by him.

Several Rofirein Knights look to their captain for direction. Captain Dreardan frowns a little and motions some of the closest knights into the woods as arrows strike the half orc’s helmet and club. They spur their horses and disappear into the brush. The brief sound of battle and screaming comes from the trees and when the knights reemerge one shouts “goblins. They are all neutralized sir.”

Captain Dreardan gives Mangus a hard stare while the half orc obliviously pulls arrows out of his equipment and inquires if he can offer help to the assault group. He assesses that Mangus is not a threat and points a thumb towards the other adventurers. “They can get you up to speed if you want to assist. There is no pay involved though, just a sense of duty to your fellow… err, fellow man.”

//Awesome… would love to see a “Tusker” in the group… ;-)

Ravemore

Vincent lay in his bed,
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 01:17:38 pm »

Vincent lay in his bed, sweating profusely, tossing and turning…suddenly awake. Every night had been the same since Dalianavera had done whatever she had done to him. His chest ached. Her words echoed in his mind each time he was dragged from uncomfortable sleep…

“You will be my key to unlock the door when I need to return… Until then, you will be the beacon that guides me back to this world.”

Lance Stargazer

*Aesthir looks at the
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »

*Aesthir looks at the newcomer with some disdain , yet its not apparent  behind his falcon gaze like eyes, he poses a neutral expression, with that polite and creepy smile that he is used to wear , his thoughts go thru all he has lived in the past years, his inquisitive mind first goes thru all the infiltration options that may come with the arrival of this "monster". Alas he keeps it to himself, there are monsters and "monsters", at least this monster that just recently arrived lived on this very pit,  there will be time for current punishment if the "man" turned out to be a liability or an inflitration in the ranks, with the fate of the world at stake, and an army of would be cities-leveling monsters on the opposite band, how could the situation of an infiltrate make it worse, if any .. it would make it faster, for good or bad, alas he will keep his eyes upon him.*

**he stirs his black stallion near the newcomer and nods behind the dark hood, his eyes focused on the man* Of course we won't turn any help that comes, yet you must know that the dangers we face maybe are one of the biggest you'll see in your life, or maybe not and you are used to such monstruosities.  We are a force of good, be careful though since good can deal punishing blows as well .. .. as the enemy is about to find out.

*he looks forward and then to Magnus again*  The name is Aesthir, If you comming get yourself ready.

*He awaits for the man's reply*

willhoff

As the assault party makes
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:14 pm »

As the assault party makes its way toward Halin a large man in mithril half plate riding a battle scarred horse is parked in the middle of the road.  A huge great sword is sheathed behind his back.  He waits until the forward units are in speaking distance before removing his horned helm, huge biceps bulging from underneath his armor.

Hail!  I'd like to speak to who ever's in charge about me joining yer ranks fer a bit.  I've come on me own and I'm answering yer call about assistance.  Tell yer leader my name is Vrebel.  I'm interested to see what ya'll are up against and may have some ideas.

He leads his horse to the edge of the road so not to impede their forward progress while he waits.

Brutus_Clawfoot

Aesthir, ye say? Er'm Mangus.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 09:40:11 am »

Aesthir, ye say? Er'm Mangus. Er seen er brutish thing er two. Hecks, Er nearly felled one er dem goblins all by myself!  

Gonna go do battle fer er good cause huh?

* Looks downward and somewhat inwardly as he considers his thoughts.*

Meh! 'Ert's as good er reason as any! 

*looks about himself* 

...Eh.....Everything Er needs, Er got right here.  

* He is carrying a bloodied club, a dented shield, and a small backpack. His armor and his helmet appear to be suitable although somewhat dinged up and he is wearing fairly suitable bracers.  His boots are in mostly awful condition. You notice a short bow strapped to his backpack and a small quiver of arrows.*

Pibemanden

*Storold does a final head
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 03:16:26 am »

*Storold does a final head count as they are getting nearer their target and is very pleased to also see Vrebel amoung their numbers*

We should have a battle plan ready soon. As far as I can tell we are mostly seasoned fighter with a few priests and other divinely inspired people. We therefore have to take great care against the enemys magic, as we have little magic of our own. However by the account given by our outsider friend earlier I do not belive we should fear thte having access to much more than their inate magic. And I doubt they have a strong morale given the tales from our scout. However we should not underestimate the power of strong brutes. Therefore I would like to hear from the more seasoned fighters how you believe it is best to engage a group of atrong deamons?