The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Threat to the Balance – Incursion from the White Desert of La’Tah  (Read 2008 times)

Ravemore

Zigruum was moving through the deep snow at a fast pace, his snow shoes carving wide swaths in the packed ice crystals. A thick rime had collected on his whiskers as his breath froze on his facial hair. The sky was clear and the sun reflected off of the surrounding snow banks of Black Ice Isle. The polar bears had been in hibernation for a couple of months and he was nearly complete documenting all of the den sites in the area when he noticed something strange and stopped in his tracks. It was silent. Too silent. No signs of nature. The smaller animals and birds should be out in force with the sun break and lack of blizzard weather… but there were none. Something was wrong.The dwarven druid began a careful and cautious search. Soon he heard some loud and raucous laughing. He wiggled his way to the top of a small hillock and was stunned at what he saw. Three Frost Giants were dragging the dead bodies of two polar bears. A now motherless cub was crying and following them. One of the giants rushed at the cub and with a powerful swing of a massive iron hammer punched the cub deep into the snow and soil, killing it instantly for no other reason than to kill it. Rage flooded into Zigruum. Again they began laughing and speaking to each other in their loud foreign language.If there were many more of these giants the balance was in danger of tipping, but Zigruum knew he was no match for them alone. He backed out of his vantage point and headed for the nearest settlement to send word for help. //Thank you Willhoff for permission to use Zigruum in this quest start up.This is a static quest and it has been placed in-game. Feel free to use this thread for RP/Forum posts. Significant posting will also be rewarded at the conclusion of the quest. Use caution, it can be a tough one depending on the party mix and levels. The soul mother is active and a balanced group is advised. Rewards have been placed as well. Good luck! PS - It is advised that all solo players avoid Black Ice Isle until this quest has been completed. Also, DO NOT sneak in invisibly and steal the quest rewards. You will be punished if you do so in a creative and not-so pleasant manner. At the conclusion of the quest, please PM me and let me know what loot you found to confirm fair play.-Rave

mixafix

Gisom Malki of the clan
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:03:42 am »

Gisom Malki of the clan Malkie of the Whithorn is a regularly seen figure on the docks at Leringard, seen pacing up and down the line of ships seeking passage to the Black Ice Isle. He scans the docks for like minded individuals too stupid or stubborn to be afraid of Ice Giants and their like. He meets another Dwarf Dwimli, not wishing the fight thats offered, and so they spend a few hours together drinking while Gisom waits.

Gisom Malki is a regularly seen drunk on the docks at Leringard, seen staggering up and down talking to ships at dock, no one knows what he is seeking other than it might be HicBlack! But wait he does, seeking adventure.

Brutus_Clawfoot

A brownbearded dwarf with an
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:27:58 pm »

A brownbearded dwarf with an eye patch over his left eye, and a peg leg hobbles up to Gisom at the docks.

"Ahoy kin! Oi knows of a fat illreupted orc wit deh brains of eh ox wants to join ye on yer quest. Name of Mangus! Ses he loikes smash'n giants! Oiv'e seen'm in action mefelf an' oi kin atest to that! He ses he kin make himelf available at any given hour freely at yer request! Shall oi enroll'm in yer tally? Oi knows he would be much ablidged!"

//I'm in, and my shedule is wide open day or night for the next tree weeks. When do you want to roll?//

mixafix

A bedraggled, bloodied, ice
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »

A bedraggled, bloodied, ice burned, and somewhat frozen Magnus and Gisom are put ashore at Leringard. Breaking open two bottles of Dwarven Head brew Gisom remarks to the Captain  "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" 

"Whadya mean you daft Dwarf?" the Captain replies.

"Cause we're comming back fella, and we'll be bringin' a braw big army to fill yer boat there - thats how.! We found them giants but they're still staundin' and thats naw a guid thing."Gisom explains.

Ravemore

The captain scratches his
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »

The captain scratches his head with a confused look on his face and shoots a quick look at what he thought was a decent sized boat.

Brutus_Clawfoot

"Er bigger everything!"
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 06:06:17 pm »

"Er bigger everything!" Mangus barks from behind Gisom "Dem giant's is mean an' low down root'n toot'n! Dey gimme er bash'n  Er won' soon fergit! One er dem giants was made out er ice! an' when he lay his fist down on me, Er seen fairys an' blue birds sing'n.'' He showes the Captain his shiner, however his face is so brutally banged up and scarred its hard to tell just which dent he is speaking of. " We needs reinforcements, wants to mean business! Er means to say, we needs er small army iff'n we kin finds us one!''

//Next Sunday at 2:00pm  Eastern? Who's in?//

//What is the best time for you Mix?//

Acacea

//Thought about joining this
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:25 am »

//Thought about joining this thread but no can do Sundays unless VERY early or VERY late, sorry! Good luck :)

mixafix

//We have no special dibs on
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:22:32 am »

//We have no special dibs on the quest or time. If you come up with another time before Sunday  carry on we will try and make it...if it is next Sunday could be about 3-4 hours later too for me.....sunday always going to be hit and miss for me so don't let us stop anyone.

Brutus_Clawfoot

//I'm good for any day at any
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »

//I'm good for any day at any hour for the next two weeks.  But the one thing I know for sure is we need at least five heads or more.

Acacea

Some wrapped and bundled form
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 01:04:56 pm »

Some wrapped and bundled form shaped like a halfling waddles toward the docks from the direction of the Leringard Arms, mumbling something muffled about the city being more evil without elemental protections at hand. Just in time for the dwaf shouting their promises of vengeance, she brightens and tugs down the scarf over her mouth and nose, and the hood down from her head. Her dirty and tangled hair looks like it was cut off at the shoulders with a chainsaw, and is frazzling out in different directions.

She waits until she has drawn a glance, then announces,
"'annur! Our'h waazk'ah zhazth az poaazhtnathth tzhazhwa zh'ur gaththat az T'ahkazh!" She pauses, beaming, and waits expectantly.

((Hello! Your father was a beardless dwarf who kissed a duergar!))

((PPS I meant dwarf singular, dunno why I pluralized. Carry on :) ))

mixafix

Gisom sniffs at the air,
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:38:21 am »

Gisom sniffs at the air, grimacing and clearly ready to rage. "Whadya think we got here big guy, someone wi' a death wish I reckon! " He pulls a large Dwarven double axe into view and threatens to use it for a moment. "So whad'll be ya scrawny parcel of dog food, you wanna end it richt here, or you wanna go back to the Whithorn to explain yer words to ma' kin!"

Acacea

She claps gloved hands
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:23:15 am »

She claps gloved hands together, a padded, muffled sound. "Oh, good! I've forgotten so many things, I thought I'd lost my dwarven insults! And then I saw you there and it all just came back to me! Thank you so much! I will buy you a tankard while you are waiting for your... um... army, is it?" She giggles and pulls the scarf back up over her mouth and nose.

mixafix

A deep puzzled frown appears
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:33 am »

A deep puzzled frown appears between Gisom's eyes, statue like, he holds fast staring long and hard, subconciously he starts to lick his lips long before the words reach his mouth "Drink ya said ya sorry excuse fer an adventurar' .....Aye well I'll keep the axe handy in case loike. an you should know tidly wee tankards are for gnomes eh, we'll be havin' summit bigger!"

//any use tomorow on this one  on this one 7pm UK time or 3 pm New York time

//otherwise will try for thursday same sort of time ? just not cetain yet

Brutus_Clawfoot

Mangus claps his claws
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:31:50 pm »

Mangus claps his claws together and grunts apreciatively as he considers the dwarf and the halfling. "Right! Yew two an ' me means we got.... We got.... ?" He starts to count claws slowly. He learned a long time ago that mathematics are not his strong suit. But after years of being batted over the head by his grandma he finally figured out a way to at least count to 8 using his claws. He knows from experience that once he gets passed the first hand and starts  counting on the other, that's where things get more and more difficult. But in this case, with only the dwarf, the halfling, and himself, he feels less stressed about it. "One fer me," extending one pointed digit, "two fer Gisom" unfolding another finger,  "an' one fer Acacae! Dat means we got... We got.. Four? Dats good ain' it? All's we needs is one more an' we'll have... We'll have... six! Hecks! Dat's like hav'n our own little army! Ya!"

//So we are aiming for a run at this thing on Thursday, at 3 o'clock pm New York time. The reason for the 3 o'clock start time is we are hopping three different time Zones for the three players we have so far. Our earlybird happens to be off on Thursday so he will be starting at 11am Pacific. We could use a few more heads. If you can squeeze yourself into one of our timeslots on Thursday we sure could use your help. Rave wasn't clowning around when he laid this one down and for that we thank him. If the whole thing crashes and burns we may take another stab at it early on Sunday (early enough to not interfere with the other quest that is being held on Sunday.)  So...any takers? You can PM me or RP your way in. Whatever works best for you.//

davidhoff

//might be ablt to join at
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 08:46:13 am »

//might be ablt to join at 3pm new yorker time today 10/29...but still uncertain...just trying to give heads up

Acacea

The halfling's opinion seems
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:03:10 am »

The halfling's opinion seems to be right in line with the dwarf's, and she doesn't think twice before leading the way to the Arms and treating them to Steel's ale while they rustle up folks to help them out... She is cheerfully supportive of Mangus's counting attempts. "Yeah! Six is a whole bunch! You'll get 'em for sure!"

davidhoff

*Corky takes a deep breath as
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:14 pm »

*Corky takes a deep breath as he tries to explain to the guards at the Black Ice outpost what he and his comrades had come across.  It's a cold night but the ice that covers his battle robes is a blue-ish color not natural to the area.  He's shivering uncontrolably as he cuddles by the guard's fire.*

Bii-iiii---gggg Iceeeee-yyy Thiiii---nnn---gggss n Li---ttttlll---e Cre----atuuuu---reees

*takes a moment to catch a breath and check his hands to see if they are burning because they've been by the fire now for 5 minutes and aren't getting any warmer*

Neeee---dddd Mooooo---reeee Heeee---lllllppp

*He gives a shallow wave to Gisom and Mangus as they head into a tent to be checked for injuries*

//Well we got into it a bit but ran outa time and healing potions :) 

//Just a heads up to the GM, might wana plant some more badies because some were dispatched and also some of them are dropping Yew branches (not sure if that's too hi level a drop)

Ravemore

//I'll set up some
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 07:25:33 pm »

//I'll set up some reinforcements. If you're high enough level to kill them, you're high enough level for the drops...  ;-)

-Rave

Ravemore

//Actually, scratch the
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 07:44:27 pm »

//Actually, scratch the reinforcements. You're half way there. :-) You got the easy part done at least... Pack a lunch for part II. :-)

Brutus_Clawfoot

Ah! The "easy part"!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 07:47:39 pm »

Ah! The "easy part"! Yeah..... That's good news...

anything