The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Login/out harvesting  (Read 2084 times)

Frendh

Login/out harvesting
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »
In the case of logging in, harvesting and logging out, we ask that you simply do not do this more than 3 times in a row.

I have done this a lot, logging in and out to harvest. I do not think I have
done it after the 23rd of april though.

The rule is very clear. But it is also very wide, so I would like to ask a few
questions.

What is considered a minimum "combo breaker", to get the three count
to be reset to zero?

Is it enough to simply go five or so areas away and kill three spawns?

If I log in three times in a row and wait 6 months and log in a fourth time, is
it still a violation?

The rule was meant to prevent people from doing it from close by, right?

So logging on and then going from Pranzies to Ruins of Madess, then back and
then log off more than three times in a row is okay, isn't it?

There is also to go mining then directly to the crafthall. Loop.
60 minute rule if there are spawns?

Hellblazer

Re: Login/out harvesting
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 06:01:29 pm »
I think it`s meant on every basis day thing. In any given day, they ask that you do not log in, harvest, log out wait half an hour while doing other things; log in again, harvest, log out wait log in harvest log out; more than three time in a row. Just out of respect for the other players that might be trying to harvest the same spot you are. There is no time limitation to that, just not to do it more than three in any given day of playing.

ycleption

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:52:12 pm »
I am by no means an official person with regards to this, but my personal answer is rather than seeking concrete answers to specific situation, just imagine someone who is trying to get the same CNR as you are. Now, ask yourself, would the way you are harvesting CNR make another player feel frustrated or annoyed? Are you denying that hypothetical other player a fair chance to get CNR (especially if they aren't camping it)?

If you can confidently answer those questions with a yes, chances are you are fine. If you can't, then maybe you need to reevaluate how you harvest.

Or, to put it another way, use common sense. (The team seems to be fans of that idea for some reason I just can't fathom...)

jrizz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:23:15 pm »
Common sense, courtesy, in the spirit, self policing these are the keys to being a good community member. So instead of everything being based on rules that can be debated or have to have pages and pages of explanation the rule we use being a good community member. As well as make good choices. If a person wants to "grind", "power game", or "be the richest PC in the world" then really is this the place? By coming here you are making a choice to enter a world where the majority of the player base is not about the above things.

So my point is if you have to ask about clarifying a rule then in most cases you already know the answer.

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:58:41 pm »
What Hellblazer said is actually pretty accurate.

The pattern of harvesting CNR and logging out in a "safe" corner of the area only to log back in a few minutes later when the CNR respawns to make another run at harvesting...then logging out in a "safe" corner again and repeating several times.... This is the pattern we don't want to see.

This is wrong in so many ways.  First off, it creates a sort of loophole in our 30-minute camping rule, as the player can rightly claim he/she was not there for the whole 30 minutes. Secondly, as has been observed, it potentially keeps other characters from getting at at the CNR.  Third, it removes all but the last bit of risk from the effort of harvesting, which is only part of the intended challenge built into the system.  I'm sure I could come up with other reasons, but those are among the top ones.

Harvesting (within the normal limits of our camping rule), carting it off to craft and coming back to repeat the cycle, whether there's a logout in there or not, is perfectly fine.

So the idea is not to overly restrict what people can or can't do if they only have a short time to log in;  if you just want to log in, harvest and go craft real quick, then that's fine. But we of course need to balance that with reason and the plans other players may have.

As I've said a lot, and have tried to reinforce as often as possible, show some common sense.  If it looks/seems/acts/smells like abuse, it probably is, and if it is, don't do it.

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:29:06 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath

As I've said a lot, and have tried to reinforce as often as possible, show some common sense.

See, just like I said, they have this unhealthy obsession with this common sense thing... almost as if they trust the player base to use good judgment or something.... ;)

orth

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:29:01 am »
Quote from: Frendh
If I log in three times in a row and wait 6 months and log in a fourth time, is it still a violation?

Really?

I mean... really?

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »
Quote from: jrizz
If a person wants to "grind", "power game", or "be the richest PC in the world" then really is this the place?

It was for Bloodstone.  Think about it... he hit an xp speedbump after killing all those dragons where everything just gave him 1xp and he needed something like 40 million till the next level.  THAT is when he realized... "Wait a minute, there might not be any more dragons, but there sure as heck are 40 million PEASANTS out there!"  ;)

Frendh

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »
Thanks for clarifying  it Dorganath.

Quote from: orth
Really?

I mean... really?

Do you really mean really?