The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Sneak-Attack clarification.  (Read 1288 times)

Louist

• View Profile
    Sneak-Attack clarification.
    « on: May 05, 2006, 06:42:46 pm »
    Hey folks. I've been playing a few days now and I'm enjoying myself. I have, however, run into a problem with sneak attacks. My problem is that I cannot sneak attack UNLESS I am flanking. If I am hiding or stealthed when I attack, I do not get a sneak attack. It was suggested by another player that this may possible be fixed by attacking a creature from behind, but so far that hasn't worked either.

So I was wondering if the sneak attack rules differ somewhat on Layonara, or If this is a character specific problem. Just in case anyone needs more information, I've been using a handaxe and a shortbow in my travels, and targeting Goblins, Rats, Badgers, and Elf/Halfling Mercenaries so far.

As a rogue I'm trying to sneak around as much as possible and take advantage of my abilities, but not being able to sneak attack while alone is rather dangerous!

Thanks for any possible help,
    Louist

Nyralotep

Re: Sneak-Attack clarification.
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 07:33:58 pm »
    From LORE:  (this is the official Bioware definition)  

Specifics: Whenever a character makes a successful attack against an opponent who is Flat-footed, cannot see them, or who is in combat with someone else, the character’s blow delivers extra damage. This extra damage is +1d6 at 1st level and an additional +1d6 every two levels thereafter. This extra damage is not multiplied in the case of a Critical Hit.

If you come in from behind unseen and attack it will usually be a sneak attack, occasionally it won't be for some reason.  But the important thing is that as a rogue you will only get one sneak attack agains an enemy if you are doing it alone.  If you're with a party and someone else is up front attacking your attacks to the flank will be sneak attacks.  Nothing is broken from what I've seen and I have a rogue that sneak attacks just fine.

Going anywhere alone on Layo will be tough and slow, it's that way for a reason, to get us to party up.

Louist

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 09:54:13 pm »
      My problem is that I cannot get sneak attacks when alone. I can be in stealth mode 10 feet behind a goblin (Completly Unnoticed) and attack him, for only the base damage. Doesn't even try to give me the flaoting "Sneak Attack" text. I've yet to get a sneak attack while alone. This is a problem specific to Layonara, as I don't have this problem in the campaigns or on other servers. Thats why I thought that perhaps the ruleset on Layonara is different. The only other conclusion I can come to is that my character himself is somehow broken, as no one else I've talked to has the same problem.

Its a real pain in the butt :P

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Today the problem seems to have disapeared! Har!

Eight-Bit

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 01:11:09 am »
      Louist - 5/6/2006 12:54 AM My problem is that I cannot get sneak attacks when alone. I can be in stealth mode 10 feet behind a goblin (Completly Unnoticed) and attack him, for only the base damage. Doesn't even try to give me the flaoting "Sneak Attack" text. I've yet to get a sneak attack while alone. This is a problem specific to Layonara, as I don't have this problem in the campaigns or on other servers. Thats why I thought that perhaps the ruleset on Layonara is different. The only other conclusion I can come to is that my character himself is somehow broken, as no one else I've talked to has the same problem. Its a real pain in the butt :P Thanks for the reply. Edit: Today the problem seems to have disapeared! Har!
       I've been playing a Rogue for a long time here and have never had a bit of trouble with Sneak Attacks. Could be a bug?

Louist

• View Profile
        « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:37:28 am »
        It must have been something. Two whole days without a single non-flanking sneak attack. However I managed to get two yesterday, so it looks like things are getting better!

DeadHead Fred

• View Profile
          « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 03:09:58 pm »
          If you're using a ranged attack, you need to be somewhat close to the target.  If you're a long ways away, even if you're behind them, you don't get the sneak attack.  It's hard to judge distances in game, but I've found it needs to be about 15 feet or less.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 03:51:17 pm »
          DeadHead Fred - 5/6/2006  4:09 PM

If you're using a ranged attack, you need to be somewhat close to the target.  If you're a long ways away, even if you're behind them, you don't get the sneak attack.  It's hard to judge distances in game, but I've found it needs to be about 15 feet or less.

This is correct and is likely the issue.  Its not specific to layonara, but a rogue who uses melee weapons will never encounter the issue.

Louist

• View Profile
            « Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 08:29:47 pm »
            That may have very well been part of the problem. I've been eyballing it.. but always with the 30 foot mark in mind. Thanks.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 03:50:40 am »
            Not exactly how far the game calls the distance.  if the diameter of a fireball is 30 feet it might be a tad closer than 30 feet.

Maybe lalaith will weigh in, or ask her for a bit of training IG.  Send her a letter or something, she's tough to find (thats the trouble with finding a mentor as a rogue, if you can  find them, they're not better than you ;P)

Thunder Pants

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 04:24:42 am »
            actually it depends on the weapon being used, the range for the longbow is i think around 50 feet in game, while the shortbow is 40 and the sling is 30

thats just a rough guess, someone that knows what their doing could look into the programming and probobly tell you the exact figures, but i am fairly certain it varies due to the weapon

i know with Lue's sling, she can sneak attack from outside the normal fear aura range of a creature such as a balor, but i'm not sure how far the game says that is

Louist

• View Profile
              « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 09:12:54 am »
              Well, Valoric uses a shortbow, and practicing on the two lone goblins just west of Hlint, he can't get close enough to ever get a sneak attack with it. Seems its alright if I just stand there, but the moment I click to target one of them, he runs straight at me, obviously knowing I'm there and possibly robbing me of the sneak attack.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 08:08:30 pm »
              Sneaks are 30' or closer... Problem is, when the character drops out of H/MS, oftentimes it's at the wrong point in the round, and the AI rolls detection for the NPC. Boom, no longer flat-footed.

My tip? Bring a meatshield.

anything