The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Multi-class rules: min of 5 levels?  (Read 1781 times)

qane

• View Profile
    Multi-class rules: min of 5 levels?
    « on: February 15, 2005, 06:11:00 pm »
    I apologize if this has been answered, but my search on the Forum, Game Info links and Handbook came up empty. However, I do recall seeing something about there being a minimum requirement of 5 for the number of levels one has to take in any class for a multi-class character.

Is this still true? if so, do those levels have to be taken before level 20 or anytime?

I know there are significant restrictions on PrCs, Paladins, Monks and Druids when it comes to multiclassing, but can Fighter and Rogue freely multi-class?

FYI, I'm thinking of doing a Fighter/Rogue/Weapon Master character.

Thanks.

NitaThompson

• View Profile
      RE: Multi-class rules: min of 5 levels?
      « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 06:24:00 pm »
      Yes this is still true.  You must have 5 levels in a class when multi classing.  This does not mean that you have to get 5 levels in one before going onto the next.  

In your case you would need to stay fairly close in level with Fighter/Rouge.. up to 10th level.  You can do this by taking one level in each at a time or 5 in one and then 5 in the other.  Most people prefer to keep thier levels close together.  Then at level 11 you can begin taking your levels in Weapon Master and can continue taking your levels in WM as long as you like.

qane

• View Profile
        « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 06:39:00 pm »
        Thanks for the quick response, Nita. Do I need to get the 5 levels of Rogue in by level 20, sooner (you seem to have implied level 10), or later (i.e., is after 20 is ok)?

Leanthar

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 06:48:00 pm »
        You need to keep the levels close to each other... within 3.  So at max you should be 14th level by the time you have 5 levels in rogue and 9th level by the time you have 3 levels in rogue.  While not always "required" that is pretty much the max that I like to see it spread--without VERY good RP reason and a detailed character submission and character development threads.

qane

• View Profile
          « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 06:50:00 pm »
          Got it. Thanks for the fast responses.

Do you guys just sit around waiting for numbskulls like me to ask silly questions? Heheh.

Leanthar

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 06:56:00 pm »
          *looks around innocently*

qane

• View Profile
            « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 07:09:00 pm »
            Mmm hmm, thought so...  ;)

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
            This one is on topic L... what about high level players that say after 20 do all the shin digging IE CDQs ECDQs and having it fit with god/char/what ever? can they pick another class?

This isn't for me I'm asking for every one

Leanthar

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
            The rule applies across all levels. But at level 20 everything must have at least 5 levels in them.  After that if you switch back and forth to a new class the same 5 level rule will and does apply.

aragwen

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 11:25:00 pm »
            I understand that each class has to have equal levels or at least not spread to far.
            Does this apply to prestige classes as well. I am a little confused and would like clarification on the folowing please. Forgive me if this a stupid question.

Let say I am a ranger of level 8 and then decide to take arcane archer class.
            I need to be able to cast arcane spells as a prerequisite for this class.
            No I need to take wizard class to get that and then take archane archer.

I will now have three classes which should stay equal?
            And the only reason I want wizard class is to get to arcane archer?
            Furthermore the arcane archer is just an extension of my ranger class? So I might not want to go as far with it.

Any comments or answers would be appreciated.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
              • View Profile
            « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 05:29:00 am »
            You need, by level 20, to have 5 levels of a given class.

So... to become a ranger/AA, you do need at least 5 levels of an arcane casting class. Which means sorcerer or mage or bard.

So, your level advancement could look something like this... which is the quickest really if you wanted to get to the PrC fast.

Ranger
            Ranger
            Ranger
            Ranger
            Ranger
            Ranger
            Mage
            Arcane Archer (Need at least +6 AB and the ability to cast spells)
            Arcane Archer
            Arcane Archer
            Arcane Archer
            Arcane Archer
            Arcane Archer
            Arcane Archer
            Arcane Archer
            Arcane Archer
            Mage
            Mage
            Mage
            Mage

Or...

Ranger
            Ranger
            Ranger
            Ranger
            Ranger
            Mage
            Mage
            Mage
            Mage
            Mage
            AA the rest of the way

There are a lot of possibilities when dealing with unrestricted classes. If you were working with a monk, or druid or one of the restriced classes you would have fewer options of advancement.

Levels of bard instead of mage would open it up to a different level split possible. A 5/5/10 would be possible.

Giving up ranger and going pure bard would also enable a 10/10 even split.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helped.

If you have any further questions, please post here or feel free to send me a private message, I check my box most days.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
            Acctually when I started taking AA level I was required to get my ftr/wiz (in your case ranger/wiz) levels closer together before taking ANY AA levels.  Since you're already at ranger 8 you might want to have L tell you what he thinks about your specific case but I'm fairly sure a 6(or 8)ranger would have to take more wiz levels before taking AA.

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 11:54:00 pm »
            I was gonna go with Cel, 20levels Cleric and then the rest 21-40 Sorc

Chrys Ellis

• View Profile
              « Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 06:58:00 pm »
              I would like a little clarification on this.  Once someone reaches level 20, if they have been one pure class, they are not allowed to multiclass?  Further, am I right that multiclassing a monk is forbidden? 
                My whole plan with Xiao was to get him to 20th level, then have a major life event happen (in the ECDQ) that would send him down a different path, into a different class.  I was doing this because of the rule that monks cannot return to that class once they have trained in another class, due to the dedication involved.
                Now, I was hoping Xiao would be grandfathered in on the no-multiclassing rule for monks, since I believe that is for new characters, but I don't know how the 5 lvl rule is to be approached. I can think of a couple characters on here that multiclassed after lvl 20 from a pure class, so is it just that there needs to be a good RP reason?  If so, I've already got a storyline in mind that I can flesh out as much as needed before my ECDQ.

Leanthar

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
              Chrys, you are correct.
                A monk can not leave its level and return--so your plan is solid.  How we state the multi-classing rules is that by level 20 you must have 5 levels in all classes--and it should be somewhat close up through level 20, within reason at least.  At level 20 you can indeed multi-class and it may be best to set it up in your ECDQ (a small part of it).

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
                • Followers of Vorax
                • View Profile
              « Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 06:06:00 am »
              Hi L, :)

I really don't think this applies to my monk character "Garnet Stonesmythhy" as Vorex'es Monsonic Order is not really a PRC. But I have no idea what EdTheKet has planned for him. I have put my CDQ on the backburner do to Garnet being so weak :( as a solo character or in a group. I didn't know the restrictions (No weapons of any kind {no mele or ranged [the ranged would enable luring]}, No helms of any kind{the helm of Armor 2 would really help the ac [Garnet's ac is 21@lvl 10]}) would make him this weak but as they say, "you live you learn." Just so you know I have taken "Circle Kick" to get the x-tra attack. Still so weak that Garnet really needs buffs to make him close to the ability of an average level 10 character .

I cannot see him earning the "Brother of Battle" name because as I see it, a "Brother of Battle" is an awsome fighting machine. Thus it cannot be done until lvl 15 or 16 [mabie even 20]. Now will this "non-PRC" PRC be ok at that high a level? The reason I say non-PRC is I do not think it is more than a title. Again you would have to ask Ed.

Now you may say this is a loophole type thing but, are there any "monk only" things (ie. a belt / headband / boots / cloak) that would be very benifical? I do use  Lessor Monk Robes/Armor.

Thank You in advance  :)

EdTheKet

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 10:44:00 am »
              Now will this "non-PRC" PRC be ok at that high a level?

It's not a PrC, it's a Monk Order, so you need to be a monk that follows Vorax to join, after joining, you're still a monk, and you won't have levels in "Brothers of Battle".
                Hope that helps!

anything