The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Paladins  (Read 5717 times)

silverblades

Paladins
« on: November 19, 2005, 11:42:00 am »
1)I was hoping to make a human Paladin of Az'atta but to my distress after reading the players handbook they are not allowed. *sigh* .is this a hard fast rule or could this be possible with a good biography.

2) Az'atta's domain is good and protection, with pennence, redemption and love,  and with these traits a paladin of this goddess I think would be a good choice.

3) If all magic comes from the Weave why is a  paladins spell ability tied to the gods they serve. If their are traveling priests it would only make sense that they would have fighter protection ie. paladins at their side. since her enlightenment Az'atta was one of the few that traveled around and sought others to heal and lend her aid to.

4)Tell me its a good idea.

could a character quality GM or higher give me a reply on these points please or a PM.
I could submit it as a paladin of the chosen ones per player handbook but what fun would that be.
 I like to be different thats why I own an Edsel. dare to be different!
There can be only One.

EdTheKet

RE: Paladins
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 12:40:00 pm »
1) It is a hard fast rule
  2) Sorry, we're not adding more paladins to deities.
  3) The gods get their power from the weave and 'channel' it to their followers (clerics/paladins).
  4) Sorry, no paladins of Az'atta will be entering the world.
  So if you want a paladin, you'll have to choose a deity that has them.

silverblades

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
Ok thanks Ed, I just noticd in the writeups of paladins that at a later date they might be added for other gods.
There can be only One.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
The paladin class, by definition, is LG.  Az'atta is CG.  Thats why this idea doesn't work exactly as stated.

Think about your concept, what would a "paladin" of Az'atta be?

Sure wouldn't be LG....  *winks*

-TV

Shadowblade225

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 01:40:00 pm »
Talan Va'lash - 11/23/2005 4:33 PM The paladin class, by definition, is LG. Az'atta is CG. Thats why this idea doesn't work exactly as stated. Think about your concept, what would a "paladin" of Az'atta be? Sure wouldn't be LG.... *winks* -TV

Well in terms of alignment - alot of dieties here that aren't LG have paladins *shrugs*.  Lucinda and Rofirein are examples.  Perhaps here in layonara it's extened to non-chaotic non-evil classes, not necessarily reserved for LG. 

IceDragonDuvessa

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
I believe this is following the onestep rule for clerics. You will find that while Lucinda and Rofirein are not LG themselves they are within one step of that alignment.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 06:33:00 am »
Gotcha :)

Eight-Bit

Re: Paladins
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 04:55:41 am »
Super strange. I was just thinking about how exciting and complex a Paladin of Az'atta would be the other day at work. Are you reading my thoughts?

SuperMunch

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 05:07:01 am »
:)

Or did you read his mind?

Whoa.  Blew your mind there, didn't I?  :)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:14:15 pm »
Eight-Bit - 4/12/2006  5:55 AM

Super strange. I was just thinking about how exciting and complex a Paladin of Az'atta would be the other day at work. Are you reading my thoughts?

Read your thoughts 5 months ago ;P  (see date)

There might already be a "Paladin" of Az'atta out there somewhere in the world....

Eight-Bit

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 06:24:39 pm »
Talan Va'lash - 4/13/2006 1:14 AM
Eight-Bit - 4/12/2006 5:55 AM Super strange. I was just thinking about how exciting and complex a Paladin of Az'atta would be the other day at work. Are you reading my thoughts?
Read your thoughts 5 months ago ;P (see date) There might already be a "Paladin" of Az'atta out there somewhere in the world....
 Dear gods, kill it! They're like theflower-childrenwith swords! I suppose, somehow, I might have trouble remembering it's mid-2006. Ahem..

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 02:12:27 am »
Well, she's CG, so don't hold your breath for a paladin :)

Louist

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 08:24:20 am »
    Isn't about time we (as DnD players, NOT Layonara players) had the evil paladin equivalent? Blackguard is supposed to be it, but it is a poor choice. Any pally like blackguard would have had to be corrupted (good turned evil) and that just strikes me as odd. Wouldn't an evil god want a few LE champions running around for him/her?

Also with the blackguard- The skill requirement for hide seems a tad unlikely for a paladin-blackguard to fulfill... I mean, how many Paladins are slinking through the shadows?

/thread hijack

Eight-Bit

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 10:25:24 am »
    Louist - 5/8/2006 11:24 AM Isn't about time we (as DnD players, NOT Layonara players) had the evil paladin equivalent? Blackguard is supposed to be it, but it is a poor choice. Any pally like blackguard would have had to be corrupted (good turned evil) and that just strikes me as odd. Wouldn't an evil god want a few LE champions running around for him/her? Also with the blackguard- The skill requirement for hide seems a tad unlikely for a paladin-blackguard to fulfill... I mean, how many Paladins are slinking through the shadows? /thread hijack
     I support and really enjoy this idea. Instead of Lay on Hands, they have a harm effect. Instead of Cure Disease, it causes it. Smite Evil is Smite Good. Just the mirror of a Paladin would be cool, if not highly unlikely. Either way, I like the concept, but the practice of it might not work out too well.
      Look at how many evil PCs we have? Can anyone name 3 of them? Rather, actually, do not do that. I'll 'nade you and charge with my SMG. Word.

Louist

• View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 08:45:15 am »
      Well, It certainly would not work out in Layonara, but it is something that should be part of DnD in general, I think. The evil gods (well, Lawful Evil) would be going to the same lengths as the good gods to.... convert... weary souls.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
        • View Profile
      « Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 09:18:56 am »
      I hate Paladins

[small]-Mith
      [/i][/small]

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
        • View Profile
      « Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 09:22:35 am »
      LoganGrimnar - 5/9/2006  5:18 PM

I hate Paladins

[small]-Mith

Everyone does... until they need some cannon fodder. ;)

SuperMunch

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 10:21:44 am »
      I ponder to myself...
      I want a chaotic-good paladin-type class!

Then a light bulb flashes on!
      Oh wait...  I forgot D&D has a chaotic-good paladin-style class.  Bards!  :)

Think about it for a minute... or twenty...  Heal and support, helps out in battle, are a blast to roleplay with and are generally useful in some situations...

Eight-Bit

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 04:11:59 pm »
      SuperMunch - 5/9/2006 1:21 PM I ponder to myself... I want a chaotic-good paladin-type class! Then a light bulb flashes on! Oh wait... I forgot D&D has a chaotic-good paladin-style class. Bards! :) Think about it for a minute... or twenty... Heal and support, helps out in battle, are a blast to roleplay with and are generally useful in some situations...
       Well, a Paladin isn't really a support class, and when played as that they're... dull. I mean, at level 20 Tilda will have a tops of 16 spells, all really for buffing herself.
        Support my foot.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
        • View Profile
      « Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 07:05:23 pm »
      Well they are the support for mages and such... and by support i mean meatshields :)