The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Questions about game system and wemics  (Read 734 times)

Riven

Questions about game system and wemics
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:29:26 pm »
Hello!
have a few questions i haven't found the answers for in LORE or nwn rules. Would appreciate any insights!

I noticed there do not seem to be any attacks of opportunity when dueling with fisticuffs in the arena. Is this the way it is all over layonara?

Do the claws on a wemic's hand to any extra damage? do they receive Improved Unarmed Strike?

A wemic receives -2 AC for being a large creature. If they use the Knockdown feat, are they considered large, or is the feat used from their base race of human (Medium)? If they learn Improved Knockdown, what size category are they effectively using the feat as?

Does Weapon Finesse allow larger weapons to be finessed if a large race has the Weapon Finesse feat?

Wemics can use a two-handed weapon in one hand. Can they use a two-bladed sword or other double weapon in one hand?

Does activating Bard Song create an attack of opportunity?

Are wemic's multi-classing rules as that of a human?

Does the hair color one choose affect the fur of the wemic's body? or is the fur a standard color?

Whew! thanks for illuminating my understanding!
;)

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Questions about game system and wemics
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:57:31 pm »
1) In NWN, a character fighting unarmed without the [LORE]Improved Unarmed Strike[/LORE] feat only suffers AoO's when fighting someone using a weapon. If they're fighting another unarmed opponent, neither will suffer AoO's

2) Pretty sure you don't get extra claw damage.

3) Unfortunately, someone that can access the scripts will have to check this one. I'm inclined to say the skin does not change your actual size category according to NWN. Which means the knockdown feats work normally for a medium sized creature.

4) Again, someone who has access to the scripts can give the definite answer to this (which I'd like to know so I can make the information available on LORE for all the "large" subraces), but I'm still inclined to say that the feat will function as if your character were medium sized not large, since I don't think the skin mechanically changes your size (even though it's supposed to represent your character being a large creature). Still, creatures with skins that make them "large" can carry large weapons, like greatswords, in one hand, so I'm not entirely certain.

5) Pretty sure the double-weapons are hard-coded in NWN to only function as two-handed weapons.

6) Supernatural abilities in general don't incur attacks of opportunity, so no.

7) Mechanically, yes. According to the Layo Wemic standard, though, they are limited to a certain set of classes, so any multiclassing done should be within that set. See the [LORE]Wemic[/LORE] LORE page for the acceptable classes for a wemic.

8 ) The fur is standard.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:10:51 pm »
I'm nowhere near NWN right now, so the following is at least partly assumption.

I believe that the size category actually follows the physical shape, and is not a "skin" property.  I also know that I had to make special versions of "small" crafting tools for large size character models because half-giants couldn't use sewing needles and the like.  Also, brownies are in the "tiny" category, I believe, and wield daggers as 2-handed weapons, I think. This is indeed mechanically supported.

So I would strongly guess that if Wemics are classified as "large" then they are large for all purposes for which NWN uses size classifications.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:42:34 pm »
About the double-weapons weapons:

I always was under the impression that using a double-weapon would grant you the 1.5 * strength modifier in your primary hand and treat the off-hand aspect of the weapon as tiny or small.

Krell Himmler

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:22 am »
Should clarify something for you....

Double weapon is a weapon with two ends, orc double axe, two bladed sword and such forth. These weapons grand additional attack(s) as if you had two weapons.

The second are two handed weapons, these are weapons where you sacrifice the additional shield/weapon in exchange you get an increase in your attack and damage roll.

Let's just take Killy McKill the level 5 fighter with 20str
(assuming ambidexterity and two weapon fighting)

Orc Double Axe: +8/+8 //damage 1D10+5
Greataxe: +12 // damage 1D12+7

Hope that clears it up a little. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Riven

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 02:03:40 am »
// i may be wrong, but i think with ambi and two weapon fighting, the double axe would be only minus 2 to hit with each attack, so in your example, 10/10.
I believe double weapons are considered light weapons, when wielded in two hands....

Filatus

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 05:54:57 am »
Yep,

Main hand hits at 100 % and the off-hand side is considered a light weapon, hitting at 50%.

So with all the feats, the penalty would be -2 / -2

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:08:57 pm »
So Damage would be 1d8+5 for the "main hand," but 1d8+2 (half the strength mod, rounded down)in the "off hand," even when using a double weapon like an orc double axe.

(pretty sure the orc double axe does a 1d8 on each head, not a d10)

Krell Himmler

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:05:10 am »
You're right, I forgot it was considered light and reduced the second hand penalty further :). But I hope my example gave a little highlight between the pros and cons of each.....

A two handed weapon really can be devastating in the hands of a str based high level fighter, the damage becomes quite huge....