The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Fort of Last Hope  (Read 5061 times)

willhoff

Re: Fort of Last Hope
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 02:51:28 am »
*As he makes his way to whats left of the South wall all the way stepping over rubble and dodging falling hot timbers, Vrebel gives a quick "well done" to Captain Argali as he passes and a thumbs up to Andrew, Portlie and Arfur if their looking.

Once he gets to the wall he stops and listens to Thane Kobal speak as he stares in awe at the damage done.*

I like yer idea of gettin the giants involved.  We got lots of heavy liftin ta do and in a short span a time.  I'd say rebuild the wall with the giants haulin those huge boulders dropped by the dragons.  One on top of the other they'll stack em.  Once its high enough maybe we got get some masons ta smooth out the top with morter or what not to make it easier ta shoot and walk on.  All done under dwarven supervision ofcourse *his eyes light up a bit with a tired grin*

As far as the gate I dont see a need fer one.  The least amount a ways they can get in here the better.

If there a way ta solidify the boulders through heat or some other means then I'd say do it.

We best make sure whoever is workin is well covered from attacks, you can be sure the Cult is preparin as we speak ta make a push for this breach.

davidhoff

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 04:11:31 am »
*Once the horns stopped blowing and the dust began to settle, Griff returned briefly to the West wall to quickly access the status and check with Daniel.  

Aye keep a good watch on 'er Danny, she's all yours, gonna go meet wit Kobal n deh others.

*Griff then heeds the Thane's call and meets with the others.  He nods and smiles in respect with he sees Kobal and the others gathered.*

Aye Kobal, hell ov a hole dat dragon dun put n our Fort wall der.

*Griff nods and listens to Kobal, Vrebel and the others as they discuss their options*

Aye, Oi loike deh oidea 'bout get'n deh goints in 'ere too.  Weh got plenty ov large sections ov wall broken off everywhere.  Lets clean deh foundation loike n get it as smooth as weh can.  Den weh start wit deh most square pieces weh can foind n have deh goints lay dem suckers down firs'.  Weh can get some ov dem goints tah start work'n up a big batch a mortar.  Dis ain't gon'a beh perty but it should beh strong.  Weh mortar as weh go, lay'n deh noicest, squarest chunks firs, and build up loike n den use deh more damaged pieces on top.  Weh can smooth out deh top wit mortar *nods to Vrebel*  

Weh gona nay have a gate nay more, but weh can get out thru deh east still.  Problem is weh n a bit ov a stale mate.  In a month dat dragon com'n n we'll still be 'ere trad'n blows wit deh Drachs.  Somtin' gota change or weh gona have tah deal wid dat big Red again.

*Griff then helps supervise a bit identifying the better section of the wall rubble and helping in the mortar mixture.  After which he returns to the West wall.*

Script Wrecked

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 01:41:26 am »
Argali sees to the injuries of the ballistae crew as best she can, mostly by pouring small green potions down their throats. The able bodied crew then set to tending their machines, making repairs as required, and salvaging any intact components from the wrecked ballistae. Finally, the hoists are checked over and kept operational.

Argali attends the meeting at the ruins of the south wall gate. At the remarks regarding giant lifting, she makes a mental note to get the surviving giants to begin shifting the stone blocks.

She expresses that she is in favor of blocking up the south gate.

"Argali iz zuspecting that we will not see any attacks by the drragons for the while. In zis regarrd, the tables have in fact turrned in ourr favorr.

"She iz alzo finding it interesting that the Ractraferioz iz giving us the month to be holding out against the Cult beforre returrning to be destrroying the forrt, when he could have done it then and therre."

She purses her lips heavily and thoughtfully.

"Did not the dispatches from Blackforrd Castle mention that, on the day that the Molvaren iz [POST=1718030]crushing[/POST] the outerr lines of the Hilm defence, they arre [THREAD=283165]receiving[/THREAD] the letterr from the Lorrd of Ash forr the talkings?"

She purses her lips again. "Therre iz the game being played, and we arre needing to be finding out what."

As and when the meeting concludes, as well as speaking to the giants about the fort, Argali gathers a dwarven(1) scouting party and heads out into the night for the mountainside to see if any more giants have made their way to the Fort.

(1) dwarves can see in the dark

davidhoff

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2011, 05:34:49 am »
*Griff makes his way to the West wall as he walks through the debris and smoking stones.  He seems troubled by something.  He makes it up the stairs of the West wall as he looks at his troops covered in ash.  The achers now on the top of the wall doing their job of launching arrows at the attackers below.  He gets to the top of the wall and looks up into a sky that is blue except for the smoke plumb rising from the Fort.  The sky is clear; no dragons.  He quietly turns to survey the view from above.  He watches as solidiers clean the mess around the Southern wall breach and then he focuses on the destroyed main tower; the Red dragon had so easily make quick work of both .  He turns his head slightly and then looks out at the enemy.  Their camps are relaxed, the drachs eating and drinking in comfort, they roar in alomost a playful and mocking manner as they spar and banter.  Griff looks down at his axe and holds it in both hands and then kneels to pray.  It is a quiet prayer and after he is done he stands, now with look of determination on his face*

Vorax grant me strenth n wisdom in wah Oi must do.

*Griff calls a Meeting of the Captains.  After the Captains, Daniella and other Fort leaders are assembled he would speak.*

Tank ye fer com'n n short notice, but Oi been tink'n.  Oi changed meh moind about deh South Wall breach.  Meh now tink deh breach in deh Southwall beh a bless'n from Vorax.  Deh enemy is soft as they sit in dere camps; Oi have seen dis.  Two ov deh dragons have been slain n one is mortally wounded.  Deh wounded dragon may heal itself n deh drachs prolly gona bring more dragons tah replace deh fall'n ones.  The sky's now is clear.  The Red Dragon dat crashed our South wall n wrecked our Command tower give us one month.  Deh toime is now to stroike out at our enemy!  Weh have deh element ov surproise fer us.  Oi'm toired ov fight'n on der terms, its toime weh foigh on ours.

Weh launch a main offensive through the breach in deh south wall, n follow with a second offensive wit some of our soldiers from deh mountains n squeeze em.  They will not expect dis.  Maybe send out an elite force tah try n take out der Lead'a n his command.  Weh keep some in reserve 'ere at deh Fort, n weh can fall back if need beh to deh fort if'n weh get over run.  Maybe weh can foind a way tah rebuild deh gate on deh South Wall to close on our return.

If'n weh wait, den deh win.  Deh will pick at us and pick at us n toime will pass.  Den the big Red dragon will return n weh see what he can do.  Weh gota whole lota bloody good dwarves n soldiers n 'ere dat are ready to foight n deh sit do'n nut'n.  Whoile weh hold up 'ere in Hope, the drachs move around us n head tah Hilm, happy tah keep us bayed up n dis Fort.  To win dis war weh gona need tah face deh enemy on the battle field.  If weh sit, Deh will send a strong'a force tah Hilm whoile weh held out 'ere den deh come back for us lata.  Deh toime for Hope is now, not to defend but to attack!

*Griff raises his axe in the air as he grabs it by the middle of the handle.  He waits for their responses.*

cbnicholson

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:21 am »
Daniel leaves trusty Mulevy to watch the west wall and joins the other captains. Listening to Griff's speech, he nods slightly throughout then steps forward, "Vorax would counsel such a bold move and I believe it to be an appropriate one with a wall smashed and such a doom pressed upon us by the foul red, but I would caution this company not to throw all into one assault." Daniel turns to Daniella if she is present. "M'lady Daniella, Champion, ever have I watched your courage and wisdom and marvelled at Toran's choice, yet hear my entreaty. If you agree to this charge, allow me to hold the fort in your name and offer what succor I am able to those that must be pulled back from the fighting.  While the hand that holds the blade must be extended to gain the victory, ever the shield protects the heart." Daniel steps back and waits for his orders.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Alatriel

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2011, 09:35:42 am »
Daniella listens to Griff, and then Daniel.

"I'm going to consider this, but I am not giving my authorization to it yet.  Things are developing in the War Council from what I've heard, and I will wait to see what unfolds there.  Apparently the Lord of Ash has requested to cease hostilities so that there can be diplomatic talks.

"As for holding the fort or running out there and going full force against them, I'm not sure you quite understand what we are doing here.  This is not the only force that Kuhl has sent against us.  Our job here is not whether we hold them out or defeat them here, but rather that we hold out in this fort and keep them here fighting us instead of joining the force that is marching towards Hilm Castle.

"As grim as it may sound, we are here to buy others time.  It isn't a glorious job.  It's deadly, and terrible, and *curses* I wish that I could simply agree to this, but not before I have all the information.  If we empty this fort and we charge against them, if we lose, we lose.  There are no second chances.  I'm not sure that they don't expect it, to be honest.  They want us out of this fort.  They can't destroy us here yet, so if we bring the battle to them they have us where they want us.

"For now, send out small strikes.  Start hit and run tactics along their weak areas.  Use those soldiers that are trained in stealth tactics and quick movement.  The goal is not to try to go in and take them all out with these smaller offensives, but to keep them on their toes- and keep them awake.  Don't let them rest.  Wear them out.  Take out one or two of the enemy, then retreat and regroup.  Use archers where you can.  Make them fear us.  Make them make a mistake.

"And in the meantime, I want the south wall fortified, so that when they come back after us we'll be ready here.

"I'll consider the other option and I will let you know.  In the meantime, you have your orders."

mixafix

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 10:10:58 am »
Arfur stands resolute looking over a fire near to where Andrew stands and not so very far from Daniella as she issues orders.

He raises his head slowly flicking around the camp fire from left to right. He takes a breath and looks to the Fort Wall using his freshly polished Halberd as a prop to lean on both physically and mentally as he pleads.

"Warriors of the Last Hope, I am Arfur Dumas, who stands in the shadow of Andrew the Bard.

Andrew who kills Darch by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume the Cult with fireballs  and bolts of lightning with but a few well chosen words.

I am of this Free Company and I see a whole army of stonebound here in defiance of tyranny. You have come to fight as free souls, and free souls you are. What would you do with the Free Company ?

Will you take the fight to their General ? Kill him and we buy others time. Valuable time.

He pauses puffing out his chest and easing himself onto tiptoes and stares manfully towards a smoking tower in the fort.

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our cause."

He casts his head to the ground and holds it there before looking up sharply at Portlie. He has no other audience.

"What do you think? Was the left side of my face best - would it be better if I faced the other way.."

Further afield other voices debate in ernest that which this eternal romantic practices towards.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 11:52:44 am »
Argali looks between Daniella and Griff(1).

"With the drragons gone, at least forr the moment, therre iz indeed an initiative to be seized, an advantage to be taken. However, even zo, werre we to fight them on the plains, it would be a last ztand. And then, when we have fallen, they arre heading forr the Hilm Castle.

"As the Lady Commanderr iz zaying, we have to give them the reazon to be ztaying herre. We have to harry them, make the hit-and-run. Wherre arre the azsassins and the shadow walkerrs when you arre needing them, no?"

She makes a small ironic smile to herself.

"If you arre wanting to get really crrazy, we find wherre the enemy generral iz camped, we fling ourzelves using the trebuchet into the air, then use the Cloak of the Watcherrs to be making the soft landing," her tone suggests she is not entirely confident the cloaks would work that way, "beforre killing their generral. That would be upzetting theirr plans zomewhat, no?

"Eagles. Do we have any giant eagles to be flying us in?"

(1) likely before she [POST=1718169]went[/POST] out into the night

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:25 pm »
* Kobal arrives with Argali and nods at her words. *

Even sending out a small force will weaken the Fort - perhaps sufficiently that the walls will no longer hold back their forces trying to scale them on ladders.

I would agree that the General as a traget would be worth taking a risk. If we might learn the location of his command tent we could consider what options we have.

In order to get at him we could attack in one or two places to create a diversion. But how to get close enough to him... even then?

// Kobal speaks in dwarven.

RollinsCat

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2011, 12:19:34 pm »
"You're not in my shadow, you're blocking my light.  And hundreds is a tear much.  Maybe one with a lucky shot after Stormhaven or Argali softened it up a while."  Dealing with the aggravating foreignness of gnomish technology was bringing out his snappish side and he hummed, listening to himself, before speaking again.  "Not that I want you to tell them that...carry on."  A glance over at Arfur.  "Left side.  More symmetrical."

He crouched by the fire, using it and the burning parts of the fort to light the nets strewn across dirt and rubble.  They didn't have enough metal hooks for all of them and the fort smiths were full-on repairing weapons and could not be bothered.  He rested one arm on a bent knee, looking across to his fast-becoming-indispensable infantry friend.  "What do you think; rocks?  I'd like to see if we can use this to tangle myrdrachs as well - knock them out of the skies."

"Not sure..."  The soldier ruffled the instructions and checked the edges of the net closest.  "We got no hooks but rocks won't work on a dragon, should it return, so we save these nets for that, but means reloadin'."

"Not in combat.  Should we dedicate one for dragons and try one for drachs?"

"Might work.  Cat's outta the bag now, they're gonna target this an' Cap'n Argali's cannons right off, though."

"Mmm."  

The soldier hestitated a moment, plucking at his thick mustache.  "Got an idea, Andy.  But I'm just a grunt, maybe you can toss it to the Commanders."  Andrew's eyes shifted up from the nets and he nodded for the man to go on.

"Got a ton of timber lying around, let's build some decoys.  Can be right quick, maybe then we'll get a few shots off before they pick off the real one."  The soldier's voice was quiet - the quiet of fearful resolve.  The bard studied him a moment.

"Are you stonebound, Mister Tiller?"

"Nosir."

A long pause.  Andrew examined his hands before looking up.  "I will do my damndest to keep you alive.  If I can't, it's small comfort, but I will sing of you.  Is there anyone who needs to know if you die?"  No more nice words for it, no hesitation.  They'd all seen too much.

"My mum and dad and sisters, yeah.  They're in Erilyn."

"Give me an address.  And a letter, if you can.  If the worst happens I'll see to it.  And I'll pray you can deliver it yourself, on two feet.  Start building the decoys, don't wait for approval."  The soldier nodded and Andrew went to speak to Daniella.

Alatriel

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2011, 01:14:27 pm »
Daniella looks at Argali for the dwarven language translations, musing softly, "Where is Chaynce when I need him?"

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2011, 01:26:41 pm »
* Kobal notices Daniella's look, apologizes and repeats what he just said in Common - this time with an accent. *

incahootz

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »
Kromlek stands at the edge of the meeting, still not comfortable being around all the important people. He seems to want to say something for a while and eventually blurts it out.

"Oi got a crazy idea loike. Ifn our job is too hold em here, an nauw we only got a month from dey dragon, do yea think dey dragon will level deh fort no matter whose in it? Oi mean, he killed deh Myr'drachs and deh drachs when he broke deh wall. Maybe he'd wreck deh fort no matter who beh in it? We could work teh hold deh fort and abandon it just before hes return an let deh Cult run in...just in toime for him to return and level it?"

He squirms a bit under their looks. "Just an oidea loike."

davidhoff

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:49 am »
*Griff listens to the others talk and seems to deflate a bit* Aye den Oi beh see'n what ye mean.  Aye best tah hold deh Fort fer now n send out some groups tah mess em up good n den come back to dah Fort fer safety.  *He nods looking over the group*  Aye jus wana say tis an hon'a tah serve wit all ye folks, n weh gona crush des basserds Vorax will'n.  Commander Daniela Oi'd loike tah volunteer tah lead som'a dem sorties out der if'n Danny don't moind cover'n deh wall fer meh.  *He salutes and chews on a piece of salt cured badger*

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2011, 06:42:24 am »
Quote from: incahootz
Kromlek stands at the edge of the meeting, still not comfortable being around all the important people. He seems to want to say something for a while and eventually blurts it out.

"Oi got a crazy idea loike. Ifn our job is too hold em here, an nauw we only got a month from dey dragon, do yea think dey dragon will level deh fort no matter whose in it? Oi mean, he killed deh Myr'drachs and deh drachs when he broke deh wall. Maybe he'd wreck deh fort no matter who beh in it? We could work teh hold deh fort and abandon it just before hes return an let deh Cult run in...just in toime for him to return and level it?"

He squirms a bit under their looks. "Just an oidea loike."

* Kobal's eyes gleam as he looks at Kromlek and changes into common. *

Dis be nay bad oidea cousin! Bloimey, aye, Oi see w'ere ye're goin'! * Kobal slaps him goodheartedly on the back. *

We shoul' start tunnelin' already terday! We can do two fings. One is ter tunnel dauwnwar's goin' aftar a deep passage... risky though, since we're goin' bloind.
Or we coul' tunnel dauwn an' outta dah Fort, goin' fer a shallow passage tha' will jus' let us leave tha' place. Aftarwards we will 'ave ter fend fer ourselves.

Oi sugges' tha' a troup be set on dis task immediately. Also, refugees can be put ter dah task of creatin' puppets outta straw an' cloth ter be put on tha' walls in order ter make it look loike we be all still 'ere. *he grins*

Iffen it works tha' red beast will per'aps take out a good number of cultists, whoile we make fer Hilm Castle an' tha' place of der main battle.

Alatriel

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 11:02:05 am »
Daniella taps her chin in thought.

"I just thought of something... We are certain that General Siphe is out there?  There was a time that I interrogated a prisoner, years ago... He told me quite a lot about the Cult.  One thing, though... He told me that General Siphe actually does not like Molvaren, and apparently had some fairly harsh words about General Chen.  It may be a long shot... but imagine what we could do if we were able to convince him to fight for our side?"

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 01:24:10 pm »
* Kobal's excitement retreats somewhat and is replaced by a more calculating expression. *

Ye sure about dis? Coul' be a costly mistake, iffen ye wannae pursue it.

Bu' on dah odder han'... wha' 'ave we got ter loose from troin'?

* He shrugs, slightly smiling. *

Oi recommend ye signal fer palaver.
We can always revert ter odder plans aftarwards...

Alatriel

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 01:28:59 pm »
"It was many years ago, and it could be outdated information," Daniella admits, "but it's something else we could consider.  I will say this, though, that particular soldier... after he'd been with us for a while, after he'd been separated from the Cult's influence, the evil in the man... it just wasn't there anymore.  Not the way they radiate it now.  He had offered to go back in as a covert operative for our side, but I thought the idea too risky to put him back in their vicinity."

RollinsCat

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 05:11:29 pm »
He waits to speak to the Commander, humming, working on words to a song.

Alatriel

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2011, 06:17:06 pm »
One of Daniella's guards speak quietly to her to mention that Andrew is waiting, so she turns towards him.

"Yes, Mister Reid?"

anything