The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Nesar-Kuhl  (Read 3293 times)

Dezza

Re: Nesar-Kuhl
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:54 pm »
Ozrin scowls at Adder, "You rely to much on this pathetic creature, Do you even know if what he claims he has done has occured? He may be planning to undermine you. How did he get past all the Tesak, their traps, their Ori and their true sight, the Myr'drachs and their keen sense of smell. I say he is lying, he has not done these things, he merely wants more deaths to occur. Deaths we cannot afford as yet. We must wait for One Eye. Doctor."

He turns to Alandric with the last word, utter contempt for Adder clearly evident on his face. "Who will you believe, a lowly servant or a Priest of Death from the Temple of Arnax."

Polak76

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »
"Why would he make claims that will be clearly proven in the morning?  If there is no sign of disease spread by midday then drag him outside in chains and have him flayed in front of all.  I won't have anyone waste my time."  He catches his breath.

"And what is that status of One Eye?  Why hasn't he returned?  I need information!  Get it for me."

Ravemore

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:15 pm »
The little red devil materialized near the head of his bed and whispered in his ear. Adder smiled. "Let him spout his nonsense. His words illustrate his ignorance. He forgets, we are all servants of the Dark Lord. One who speaks thus of a Stipatio treads dangerous ground. He would have done better to keep silent and deal with me later. His actions speak of weakness, and we will exploit his hubris when the time is right..."

The devil whispers again, and Adder smiles again. "No, he is touched by the Lord of Darkness. To serve him is to embrace the madness..." He trails off into sleep, recuperating still from his serious wounds.

He had planned for the true sight, the Tesak, the Ori... but he had seriously underestimated their sense of smell and the traps. He was truly not good with finding traps.

Ravemore

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 12:45:40 am »
//Some of the occurrences from my first CDQ session with "Mix" intertwined with the siege of Zolinar. Somewhat in narrative form... This is also an open invitation to any player that is Corathite friendly (Or can tolerate Corathites) that wants to become involved in-game, or through forum interaction in this CDQ. Could become interesting. ;) PM GM Mixalot...
----
Adder was standing near the front lines watching as siege machines began lobbing animated corpses over the wall. The enemy had shown no inclinations to mount a counter attack, and things had slowed to the irritating mind-numbing crawl that sieges often degenerate into. A conscripted gnome unit had erected some type of machine to fire large balls of iron into the walls, but had thus far been unable to make it function properly. Adder had made up his mind that if no significant progress had been made, he was going to murder them and add them to the undead units. Gnomes were utterly useless creatures.

A courier from the rear lines soon arrived and informed Adder that a messenger was waiting a short distance away. He indicated the man had "personal information" for him. When Adder approached he was greeted by a man he recognized as a recent recruit in the Gloomwood Magalare, over which he currently led as Stipatio. After a short greeting they were interrupted by two assassins who were lurking in the nearby river. They had been breathing through reeds while they waited. Adder stepped back and yelled in surprise as they both lunged at him with long thin daggers. He was obviously the target. The Corathite messenger ran one of them through with a short sword, and out of nowhere an axe swinging Gimli appeared, his axe biting into the flesh and bodies of anyone who was not Adder. He must have been shadowing him when he left the front to speak to the messenger. Unfortunately the messenger was a hapless victim as well, and fell seriously wounded by Gimli's flashing weapon. Adder was able to use his healing skills to stabilize him though.

The messenger told Adder there was another man who had travelled to the area with the Corathite and asked him to have Adder meet him in the square of the nearby village. The Corathite claimed to know nothing about him, other than that he asked for Adder by name and he had met him while he was in route to the siege. Magalare business was then briefly discussed and direction and orders issued for subordinates. The messenger was left in the hands of a nearby Sancti to help him recover. Adder made it clear that the man was not to die from his wounds.

Adder and Gimli then headed to the rear to see the person who wished to speak to him, and more importantly... what he wanted. When they arrived they found the village abandoned. A search found the bodies of many of the villagers and most of the rear guard dumped behind a building near the square. It was unnaturally quiet. No birds, animals, or sounds of labor were to be heard. Protective enchantments were cast. It was not long before assassins struck again. The battle was brief and painful for the attackers. It was obvious they were professionals. Nothing was found to indicate who they were or who had sent them.  

Adder and Gimli then hurried back to the siege, concerned this was some sort of diversion to pull commanding officers from play in a possible counter attack from the defenders.

When they returned the only thing of note happening was the gnomes blowing themselves up with their siege contraption. Adder ordered them added to the ever-growing undead force and catapulted over the wall... perhaps as zombies they could find an ankle or two to gnaw on. He ordered several squads of infantry back to secure the village and their supply lines.

There were many questions in the back of Adder's mind. Who was the person that lured him to the village? He would have to question the Corathite messenger further... Was it related to his recent investigations and questions at Bloody Gate regarding Milara? Perhaps...

Dezza

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 09:54:07 pm »
// Four days after Molvarens assault on Castle Hilm comes to a close and his armies are now moving back to Kuhl.

Ozrin Nai, Priest of Death, entered Alandrics tent and inclined his head slightly.

"Doctor, there are some things I believe you should know. An imp just arrrived from Arnax. The allied forces have defeated Molvaren at Castle Hilm however that is problematic for us. His armies are returning to Kuhl. It is estimated Cyn Chen will receive reinforcements within two weeks, more than we can possibly handle. Also General Rim was defeated near Amaria and the remainder of his army is fleeing back to the crossroads to Nesar and Zolinar."

Alandric stared at the dark skinned Priest of Death his guts churning, everything was falling apart and time was running out. He had made deals that could not go unfullfilled for this engagement, better that he should die if he could not finish what he had started.

"Send an imp to find Jehorum, two days ago we were told he was leaving a village not far to the west and making his way back here. Send one to Arnax as well. Tell them I want more priests and mages, as many as they can provide for two days time. As soon as Jehorum returns we are going to assault Zolinar. And Ozrin....we will not stop until the city is ours or everyone of us is sacrificed to the Dread Lord."

Ozrin's eyes flashed with anticipation at the battle to come and as he moved to leave he paused. "There is one more thing Doctor. The servant of yours, Adder, while I must attest, the disease he miraculously released into the city seems to be working to some degree I still question his loyalty. One of my people saw him in the woods yesterday consorting with others. I would be wary of him."

"I am wary of everyone Ozrin, especially Priests of Death."

Ozrin grinned menacingly before leaving the tent.

Polak76

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 10:50:45 pm »
*When he was alone he summoned his familiar, a grotesque floating orb covered in wet leathery flesh with dozens if eyes protruding from stalks.  One large eye in the centre regarded him anxiously.*

"Keep an eye on Adder for me.  I would know if my own captains seek to overthrow me on the eve of absolute destruction."  The familiar, sharing thoughts and feelings with Alandric seemed to know it's task well.  Before leaving Alandric cloaked it from sight.  With it's silent hovering motion it would be near impossible to detect.

A short while later Alandric summoned some of his pupils.
"It seems the disease is spreading within the comound.  I want a full report on the extent of the disease, which areas are most effected, numbers and the current morale of the army.  You've got till morning to report."
He dismissed them with a wave of his had.

Dezza

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:45 am »
Hours later several of Alandrics pupils begin to appear and make their reports.

"Doctor it appears something is happening, there are large bonfires that have been lit just outside their eastern postern gate and wagonloads of dead are being taken out and burnt there. The guards are wearing cloths over their mouths."

Ravemore

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 01:30:30 am »
Adder stands among the soldiers in one of the forward positions watching the activity near the walls with satisfaction. It would not win the war, or take the city, but it helped. It was disappointing to see the dead go to waste though, and the removal of the bodies from the city was not what he wanted. He directed a nearby infantryman to spread word to the nearby siege machines to begin targeting the workers and wagons.

Adder noticed a Death Priest of a higher rank, Ozrin if he remembered his name correctly, watching the proceedings from a distance with contempt. It was the same person his familiar whispered of many days ago. He locked eyes with the man briefly and then watched as the priest turned and headed back toward the command tents. He would have to deal with that thorn at a later point in time, but for now there was service to the Dark Lord to attend to. He returned his focus to the siege activities at hand, whispering prayers to the Mortis Mentis.

Polak76

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 03:15:24 am »
Quote from: Dezza
Hours later several of Alandrics pupils begin to appear and make their reports.

"Doctor it appears something is happening, there are large bonfires that have been lit just outside their eastern postern gate and wagonloads of dead are being taken out and burnt there. The guards are wearing cloths over their mouths."

"Very well."  His mind calculates rapidly before he adds "Resume your position and report again in a few hours."

Dezza

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 07:53:35 pm »
Several hours later two of the pupils rush into the tent and drop to the ground faces pressed to the rugs on the floor of the tent in obesiance.

Alandric glanced down at their sudden entry. "What is it?

The apprentices stammered and glanced at each other fearful to report.

"Doctor, the enemy..."

"Speak, you blathering fool." Alandrics staff lashed out catching one of the pupils in the side of the head and sending him crashing aside a red welt down his face. The other pupil shivered and rushed out the words.

"Doctor, the enemy have a dragon, it just arrived."

Alandric felt his gut wrench at the mention of the world dragon. "It changes nothing we will still attack as arranged. Go and tell Ozrin that any man or women who tries to flee or leave our army is to be killed and added to the undead. At least then they will do our bidding without fear. GO!"

The pupils scrambled back out of the tent while inside Alandric swept his staff around smashing anything and everything in sight in his frustration and fury pausing only when the place was a chaotic ruin. And suddenly moments later mad laughter poured out of the tent causing those hearing it to get cold shivers down their spines. It was going to be a glorious battle indeed.

Ravemore

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:43 pm »
Adder watched the dragon circle the city walls and chuckled to himself and muttered. "This is going to get interesting." The sounds of mad laughter drifted down from the command tents and he laughed aloud himself. He knew that soon blood was going to flow like rivers and the Dark Lord was going to feed well.

Polak76

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:15 am »
** Later anyone passing close enough to Alandrics tent would hear him speaking about the battle ahead, the destuction of Cyn Chen and the dragon, plans of breaking the walls, pillaging the castle and fortifying it before Molvarens remaining army reached Kuhl.  Oddily enough though, anyone who knew Alandrics agenda would realise he was alone and that he was seemingly talking to himself.  Those brazen enough to chance a glance into the tent would see him sitting on a chair, talking to a skull which he held in his skeletal hand as if the inanimate object was listening to him.  It was certainly an odd thing to behold and yet many would not feel inclinced to question it or mention it to others.  Alandric, talking to a skull?  He was the Mad Doctor after all.**

Dezza

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 12:51:51 am »
Night passes once more and dawn breaks over the battlefields at the southern edge of Zolinar. A light fog drifts across the tree cleared areas from the city to the edge of the huge trees of the forest where Alandrics Camp was spread out through the dense forest.

Overhead a dragon roared yet again and strafed an area far down the line of the trees with acidic spray that burnt and corroded anything it touched. The grey and white mottled dragon, fresh from the battlefield around Castle Hilm had harrassed the Nesar-Corathite army all through the night. Even catching a score of undead and melting them with its breath in one strike. The Nesar army had not the resources to deal with the new threat and many of the peaasant army had tried to flee the pending engagement during the night only to be caught by Ravens patrolling and then executed before joining the ranks of the undead.

With the first feeble attempts of sunlight to penetrate the light mist a new force joined the battlefield. on the western edge of the forest hundreds of undead slowly appeared through the mist shuffling slowly over to the Nesar-Corathite army lines. Around them walked a number of mages and priests of Corath and protecting them came the Black Ravens and other cavalry that had left with Jehorum several days before.

Before long One Eye was riding his familiar Black horse into the main camp, dismounting just before Alandrics tent and dropping to one knee as the Mad Doctor came and stood before him.

"I am displeased how long it has taken you to return, but I see you have brought a reasonable amount of undead with you."

Jehorum said nothing, it was no use to tell the Doctor that the mission he had sent him on was impossible to complete within a day or two, or that it took several days just to find the villages and then more time to round up everyone, kill them and raise them again. It was no use telling the Doctor that herding several hundred undead through a dense forest in the middle of nowhere was not the fastest thing to do. No excuse would be good enough, even if it was the truth.

"When do we attack." Jehorum said simply.

Alandric regarded him then turned to Ozrin who had suddenly shown up nearby. "We begin in four hours and nothing...nothing is to survive."

Ozrin smirked and Jehorum stood once more and nodded.

"As you command. What about the Dragon?"

Alandric looked at Jehorum "What about it? Don't worry about it, I will deal with it when the time comes, or rather, he will deal with it." Then turned, laughing, and re-entered his tent.

Polak76

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 05:55:12 am »
*A short time later a voice roars from in the tent*
"All of you in here right now."  His mirth was now replaced with a more serious tone.  "And send someone to find Adder."

Ozrin and Jehoram entered and waited patiently before the pacing Alandric.  with his head dipped and his skeletal arm caressing his chin he spoke orders without looking at them.

"Here is how it will go.  Ozrin I want you to conduct a ceremony so vile that it will put fear into every onlooker from Zolinar.  Sacrifice some of our own men to make it happen.  Raise standards from the skin of bones of our enemies that they'll recognise.  I want them realising the horror of what is about to befall them."

At that point Adder enters the tent and takes his position beside the others.

"Another thing Ozrin, I want your greatest Sancti to join my strongest Orraculi.  HAve them pray to the Mad One and summon a demon force unlike anything ever before.  My Orraculi have memorised Gate and major summoning spells.  Together they will be led by Adder.  He will coordinate attacks by land and air.  The lesser Sancti and Orraculi will tend to His Children (undead).  Behind them the Nessar army with our own will charge the walls.  I will coordinate the war machines to assist your advance.  When your close enough, have the Sancti summon darkness and curses on our foes. The Orraculi will spread fear by way of necromancy.  THis should assist your charge.  Remember this attack doesn't stop until they're dead or we're obliterated against the walls."

He stops pacing and looks at Adder.  "With the demon army, ensure you take out the threat from the walls.  Use them to cause enough chaos to enable our army to breach the walls.  Don't fail me."

He looks at Jehoram.  "I will join your Ravens.  When the time is right we break through and attack Cyn CHen and her Dragon ourselves.  I'll keep some of my pupils to assist."

To them all.  "Start preparing.  No point in hiding our intention.  Cyn Chen has enough spies to relay our every move.  Lets show that we march to our glory and erase Zolinar from every map on Layonara!"

Ravemore

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 10:48:42 am »
Adder smiles in anticipation, bows his head, and departs to find his Orraculi. In the back of his mind he makes a mental note to instruct them to prepare some acid sheath spells, as he plans to do.

Dezza

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 09:21:14 am »
The tree line was oddly quiet, only the thumping of heavy hoofs on the ground from impatient mounts, snorts from their noses and the clinking of harnesses drifted down the cleared mile of forest between the city of Zolinar and the Kuhl Forest. The horses of the Black Ravens formed a long dark line out in the open before the trees. Masses of undead milled about while behind the horses mages, clerics and other Corathite servants watched with dark glittering eyes he field ahead.

Behind them nervous Nesar soldiers stood in long lines waiting for signals from the Corathites to begin the attack. What they had seen and witnessed over the last few weeks enough horror to last them a lifetime. It paled into significance however at what they were witnessing now.

The Priest of Death Ozrin Nai, joined by several highly ranked priests and servants of the Dark God stood on the ground halfway to the city of Zolinar defying the enemy they had begun to mill around on the city's palisade defences.

Around them four tall poles had been erected just before dusk and some of the enemy Drach Tesak that had been captured in their relentless raids had been eviscerated and sacrificed in the open on the battlefield to the Baron of Death. Their entrails and body parts being pecked apart already by crows while their blood dripped onto the ground of the battlefield below.

The ceremony complete a roar came from the back of the city and yet again the dragon that had become a major problem for the embattled Corathite army rose into the air and began to climb.

Ozrin Nai cried harsh words aloud and the chants of those around him joined him and before them a gate ground open yielding forth heat that washed over those gathered. From the circle of blood on the ground creatures poured forth, demons of varying types and strength lusting for the blood and souls of mortals. Their howls, cries, jibbers and hisses loud in the air. Angry at being unable to turn and strike at those who had summoned them they turned to the nearest opponents where they could and set off towards the city.

Myr'drachs lifted into the air and angry black swarms and moved forward to land outside the palisade, exactly as Alandric had planned. With a single horn every one of the remaining war machines in the nesar army unleashed their cargo and entire groups of undead carrying disease and other nasty surprises were launched into the city.

Fire suddenly erupted in the area before Zolinars palisade as a greater Balor summoned by Ozrin Nai himself unleashed fury on the Myr'drachs and the battle was joined. Beast verses demon ensued in front of the palisade, the fire quickly spreading to the walls of the city after Alandrics engines had plastered the area of the last few hours by every bit of oil they had left.

The fire spread in fits and starts closer and closer to the palisade while a vicious battle took place between demons and Myr'drachs outside the city. Within the city itself the defenders raced to deal with the undead in the streets some one which were attempting to plunge into the water supplies and wells.

All around him in the trees Jehorums Ravens chaffed at the bit, wanting to charge down the hill and involve themselves in the raging fires and planar battle going on. Only fear of Jehorum and the Doctor who led them holding them in place. Eyes glanced desperately at Alandric who stood just in front of the forest out in the open one arm raised to the sky holding aloft a dark staff.

The demons were dying one by one, torn apart by the mighty Myr'drachs and the Dragon was starting to descend on the tree line and still Alandric held as the fire crept closer and closer to the palisade seemingly unbeknownst to the defenders who were focused on the demons outside and the undead inside.

Closer and closer it drew until it began to lick at its base and suddenly those in the tower over the main gate noticed the fire and the threat it provided. As figures started to scramble to bring buckets to bear, the dragon lined up its approach from east to west ready to cover the entire line of Alandrics' forces in acid breath. Jehorum watched the dragons approach glancing between Alandric and the dragon, back and forth as closer and closer it drew. He could see it breathing in deep gulps of air preparing. The sardonic face of Adder turned to glance towards Jehorum. Eyebite and Gimli closer by him. He seemed to be enjoying the moment of impending doom immensely.

The fire seemed to dampen for a moment then flared and blazed brightly, suddenly shooting up the palisade, the flames completely obscuring the tower and the occupants within it. From their position Alandric could hear the screams of the burning men and women inside the tower.

His arm dropped and almost as one, fear of having to face the advancing dragon driving them the Nesar-Corathite army charged forward. Undead shuffled along in large groups while the Cavalry raced forward forming into ragged formations in which to strike at the Myr'drachs trying to clear up the last of the demons and behind them running for their lives came the panicked Nesar infantry. Those too slow were caught in the dreaded dragons acidic breath, the skin burned from their bones within seconds of them being struck.

On the gentle slope, Alandric walked forward between the massive tree stumps left after Cyn Chen had all the trees around the city cut down to build the palisade that now defended it. The Ravens reached the Myr'drachs first and and soon the sound of screaming and dying mounts and their riders filled the air. Fire roared its fury over the main tower and gates into the palisade slowly spreading along its front the fire added to by mages and clerics launching spells into the same location. Alandric had put everything into breaching the gates and gaining a foothold to the city so that his plan had a chance of working.

As the Ravens engaged the Myr'drachs the undead and the Nesar soldiers poured between them making for the palisade itself. The fire had spread further and further to the left and right rising up in huge sheets of flame to obscure the vision of the archers manning the walls and forcing them to withdraw from the heat emanating forth. Several Drach Ori attempted to put out the flames by Nesar sniper archers and Corathite mages were specifically looking for them and any time they appeared they faced a vicious assault from the attackers.

As Alandric reached halfway to the palisade the Nesar soldiers and undead were reaching the heat soaked area and slowing down unable themselves to find a way through. Several started to fall to Cult archers able to shoot at times through the flames.

Alandric watched the Ravens for a moment, they were trying to form up in groups of three to every one Myr'drach in an attempt to bring down the formidable creatures or to at least keep them busy long enough that Alandric could carry out his plan.

Turning back to the slowing advance Alandric called forth his own demon, a powerful creature from the Pits who leapt froth with a snarl at Alandrics direction unleashed torrents of fire on the main gate adding to the conflagration and burning alive many of those who were on the inside trying to put out the fire or shoot at the advancing forces.  Behind it Adder and several mages began dropping sheets of ice onto the ground to form a path to the gate to enable the soldiers to move forth. The demon reached the gates and overhead the Dragon descended again to strike at it rage overcoming its senses. The Demon raised a monstrous flaming sword and cut through the gate in a single sweep then pushing through, flames roaring all around it.Then the Dragon hit and the demon, the remainder of the gate, the tower and dozens of Cult soldiers beyond were engulfed in a great sheet of acid destroying much of what remained.

Adder cheered and added more ice storms into the breach before cajoling the undead into the gap then the Nesar soldiers. Beyond the gates however was another story. Back across the street Cyn Chen had assembled her forces. Arrows rained out in slews peppering the undead and then into the Nesar soldiers beyond. Hundreds died in the initial assaults through the gate before the masses of undead, almost impervious to the arrows of the defenders began to give the soldiers a chance to get into the area in small groups. Many were dispatched quickly by the defenders and it wasn't long before they were starting to hesitate to go through even with Adder and other Corathite mages and clerics hurling abuse and threats at them all.

From Alandrics vantage point he watched carefully as they gate was breached then laughed as the dragon helped to finish the job. Even though it had removed his demon it had done more than Alandric could have wished for. He surveyed the field once more, the Ravens had managed to take down some of the Myr'drachs but the fierce creatures were ripping through the Ravens ranks. The Nesar soldiers were slowing in their advance into the city as they met fierce resistance amongst the Cult soldiers within.

It was time, thought Alandric. High in the sky the Dragon climbed for altitude then began a lazy circle to choose its new target. There, a small pocket of people on the field beyond the battle with the cavalry and the Myr'drachs. That was the Dragons new target. It's gaze centred on the man in black in the centre of the group, Alandric, and began its run.

Far below, oblivious to the dragons impending attack Alandric drew forth a skull from a place within his robes and placed it onto the ground. Speaking words taught to him in confidence he drew froth a vial of blood and opened the stopper. Even as he did so a cloud moved in front of the sun and a shadow was suddenly cast across the land.

The dragon above began to descend, its target clear, the sudden shadow not distracting it from its target far below.

One drop fell onto the skull, then two drops and soon a splatter of blood dripped and ran over the skulls smooth surface as Alandric continued the words he had been taught for just this moment.

The earth shook, a tremour that was felt through the city of Zolinar. High above the Dragon perceived the tremour as a shockwave in the ground that spread out from the target it had chosen, but still it continued on its path.

Alandric dripped the last few drops of blood onto the skull on the ground and completed the words of power.

The skull suddenly rose from the ground taking on an ephemeral quality as a shimmering form began to coalesce around it and then spreading down. A humanoid shape took form and slowly took solidity. Alandric stepped back and dropped to one knee as the figure finally took full form and gazed around him. Dressed in black armour with a flowing cloak of dark purple silk that flapped in a non existent wind the form drew forth a large jagged two handed sword of an unusual metal that glowed with a deep purple ominous glow in its right hand, a short silver and black staff topped by an unusual red gem held in its left hand.

Suddenly the figure glanced skyward, its skeletal eye sockets glowed deep purple like the two handed sword hand easily in one hand as it watched the advancing dragon.

Storan, once an emperor of all he had conquered, a mighty warrior mage, binder of Pit creatures to his will uttered words that caused the area to throb with power.  An intense humming sound began and the dragon's descent slowed in time while Storan moved quickly, ancient words of the Al'noth flowing from his fleshless mouth and sheathing the area around them in such power that Alandric could only dream of. Creatures suddenly appeared around Storan, ancient warriors who served him in life and bound to him in death, the best of the best throughout his history wielding a variety of weapons and bearing armour from warrior codes across the Pits. They formed a defensive phalanx and a large banner unfurled from one larger than the others bearing a horned Pit Fiend Skull as a helmet. The banned flapped once, then twice as a wind borne of primal energies flowed across the area. The third time is snapped open completely revealing a dark purple field with a black sword pointing downwards.

Alandric began to laugh, caught in the safe area outside of the time alteration that Storan had initiated he felt the powers emanating from Storan and the portal he had opened. Words of power continued to flow from Storans fleshless face each one calling forth more and more primal energy into the world of Layonara.

Above the group on the ground a huge shape began to form, thunder cracked and lightning blazed in the airspace between them and the dragon caught in Storan's magic that was slowly descending. A cloud of vapors poured forth from the portal and began to take form.

Across the field of battle, and outside of the range of Storan's spell the battle slowed naturally as peoples gazes were drawn to the growing storm cloud and the unnatural wind that was now whipping about the area.

Cyn Chen ascended stairs rapidly with her command staff to the top of the tallest building in the city emerging on the roof as the cloud suddenly became corporal. What they saw stunned them and chilled them to the core.

It appeared as a massive blob of flesh that seemed to simply hover in the air. A huge mass of crimson ridged flesh almost a hundred feet in diameter most aptly described its immediate appearance. As Cyn Chen watched the blob of flesh seemed to pulse and eyes and dark orifices appeared all over its body that could only be described as hawklike. The eyes ranged in sizes the largest being over three and a half foot long but they shifted and changed their size and shape as the blob hovered there.

Cyn Chens eyes drifted to one of the black orifices on the creature and blinked as suddenly spells burst forth from them, balls of fire, lightning bolts, sheets of acid and flame that struck out across the area towards the city of Zolinar.

Ducking involuntarily as the magical bursts struck around the city Cyn Chen felt a dryness in her throat and fear in her belly. From her vantage point she could already see her troops near the main gates drawing further and further into the city to escape the huge floating shape outside it.

Desperately Cyn Chen glanced up as the dragon suddenly moved downwards as Storan's magic released it. Unable to shift its descent the Dragon plummeted straight at the flesh creature in the sky. Bolts of lightning arced into the dragon as it closed on the creature and then they collided, the dragon sinking deep into the creatures form.

For a moment the blob of flesh stretched and flexed and Cyn thought the Dragon might tear a hole through it but then with horror Cyn noticed that the dragon was stuck on top of the creature pitifully trying to move its wings, tail and legs only to find them becoming more and more useless until the dragon was entirely paralysed and lying there helplessly its wild eyes rolling in its head. Even as she watched, masses of flesh extended out from the blob from several of the black orifices, almost like some sort of sick appendages and reached up to grasp hold of the dragon. Powerful magic pulsed through them and the dragon was incinerated it its grasp.

Below the unnatural creature Storan's words spread across the landscape towards where the Ravens were engaging the Myr'drachs and wrapped them in a sea of death. From out of the forest behind Storan thousands and thousands of undead birds intermingled with some larger undead forms of wyverns and drakes filled the sky like a blanket and descended into the melee, smashing themselves relentlessly into the Myr'drachs, clawing at eyes, crawling into mouths, ears and breathing holes. Tens of thousands of the creatures engulfed the Myr'drachs without mercy and as they smothered them the Ravens took the opportunity to plunge, swords spears and lances into the Myr'drachs killing them as best they could.

Cyn Chen watched from the building rooftop as her defence of Zolinar was ripped apart from magic more powerful than anything she had ever witnessed before. The area outside the city was a dark blanket of flapping, chittering and clattering winged shapes. She could see already many of her Myr'drachs either being dragged down and hacked to death by the Corathites Ravens or else fighting to free themselves of the undead birds and trying to flee the field of battle.

Inside the city her soldiers had fallen back long enough for the Nesar soldiers to gain the gates and form a bridgehead inside the city and even as she watched she knew much of the fight had gone out of her armies at facing such foes. Even the Nesar soldiers near the entrance to the city were nervously half watching what was going on outside.

Cyn desperately reconsidered her plans then swiftly made her decision as the massive blob of flesh in the sky started to float towards the city itself. Magic flashed from the dark orifices on its body setting alight building after building as it moved. She realised then what the enemy before her was intending. They didn't want the city, they intended to destroy everything and leave nothing behind.

Cyn dispatched orders to her people straight away. The local soldiers and the forces here originally could hold it alone she was not about to risk herself of her beloved Tesak in a fight such as this. They had nothing to match what was before them.

What followed was a slaughter and destruction of immense scale. As the Tesak fled the city so to did many of the remaining Myr'drachs fending off the undead birds that chased them relentlessly until reaching the range of Storan's control whereby they fell to the ground as lifeless piles of bones. The creature summoned by Storan wobbled its way over the city destroying anything and anyone from either side. Cult soldiers were obliterated along with Nesar soldiers by the creatures primal magics, launched from the dark orifices all over its body until after a time it began to wobble unsteadily and then puffed out of existence leaving a city burning below it.

Alandric walked down the hill alongside Storan and his phalanx of elite undead warriors taking in the scene of destruction before him until Storan halted where on the ground the skeletal remnants of the dragon had fallen after sliding off the flesh creature that had killed it. Here Storan paused and turned to Alandric, his dark purple eyes glowing as ominously as his sword.

"And this to seal the agreement." Then he turned to the skeletal remains, uttering deep and ancient words of power and magic as the bones shifted and reconnected and the creature rose from the ground shifting its head to turn and face Storan who waved it towards the city. The undead dragons mouth opened and roared silently before it flapped fleshless wings and leapt into the sky then descended into the city tearing apart buildings and anything resembling life.

Alandric watched as the remnants of his army including many of his Corathites fled the city racing back up the low rise towards the forest edge there to turn and watch the undead dragon tear what was left of the burning city apart with its claws and magical fire breath. He saw Adder and Gimli dragging Eyebite from the battle below who was bleeding heavily. Then he saw Jehorum reform the remaining Black Ravens and begin hunting down soldiers fleeing the destruction going on within the city.

Moments later Ozrin Nai and a large group of Corathites drew near and halted staring with awe at Storan and his guards while Alandric gloated and turned to them.

"Nothing is to remain here Ozrin, nothing, send out the word, this day the followers of Corath will show everyone what happens when you defy us. Go and kill, maim, torture any you find for tomorrow we leave this place with nothing but the dead. We have done our job, it is time to go home."

As the Corathites rushed off eagerly to pass the word Alandric turned back to Storan and bowed deeply.

"I agree that your promise is fulfilled as you said it would be and to a far greater benefit that I could have hoped for. You will have all that you asked for and more if need be."

Storan, once trapped for eons and not long freed from imprisonment regarded Alandric. "Yes, you will. Now you have seen some of my power, it is only a taste of things to come." With that he turned and marched into the glowing portal followed by his elite warriors and as the last one entered it snapped out of existence. The wind died instantly, the sun moved from behind the cloud only to be obscured again by the smoke and fumes drifting high into the air from the former city of Zolinar.

All through the night the undead dragon creature by storan demolished anything standing while the Ravens and Corathites hunted for fleeing soldiers and delighted in their own forms of entertainment anytime they found some.  Terrified Nesar soldiers who managed to survive the slaughter withdrew to the forest and others simply fled in groups to the south eager to be free of the fighting and the unnatural and mad Corathites, especially the one they called the Doctor, the worst of them all.

By the next morning the sun rose over a burning pile of rubble that was once Zolinar and as the sun touched the bones of the undead dragon it clattered into dust signalling the end to Storans part in the destruction.

Stories soon spread of the arrival of Storan and the destruction wrought by the creatures he summoned. Of the complete and utter destruction of the city of Zolinar and almost all those who were left behind when Cyn Chen and her Tesak fled the field of battle. Of the undead host of birds that came to Storans bidding, of the horrors and the terrors that walked the forest that day and of the atrocities unleashed on those found by the Corathites after the battle was over.

Such was the price of war some in Nesar said while others wondered at the high price of working with Corathites.

Either way Alandric and his remaining army moved south as he had said leaving behind nothing but rubble and death in what was once a large thriving city in a lush forest in Kuhl. As well as realising to the world that as one threat is diminished, another rises in its place. The world had only just got a glimpse of what the future 'might' hold.

Spike

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 04:43:19 pm »
//I think my favorite part of these write ups is that the Green Dragon Cult are the good guys :p .

Dremora

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »
//Makes it strangely more enjoyable to read between two bad guy armies as opposed to good v bad.
Guess its just a change from the norm, even though the norm is also good fun :P

jrizz

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 03:31:29 am »
//Ummm holy c#%p!!!

Polak76

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2011, 04:26:52 am »
Quote from: jrizz
//Ummm holy c#%p!!!

Couldn't ask for a better reaction!!