The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: On The Way To Krandor  (Read 365 times)

Gulnyr

On The Way To Krandor
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:58 pm »
*While the group from Hlint is camped, Jennara explains more about what the Path is.*

About thirty-five years ago, I was made aware of an ancient book.  I should never have known of it, but it was taken by those who would misuse it and I was called upon to recover it by the Heavenly Servant.  With the help of many others, the book was recovered.

This book is the journal of Tuhral Araljan.  He was a general serving the dragons long, long ago, and fought against Sinthar Bloodstone in those ancient wars.  That was, of course, before Bloodstone was banished.  It is not simply a journal, though.  Tuhral Araljan was believed to have been killed several times, yet somehow always returned later on another battlefield.  By some magical means, the journal creates the Path of the Claw.  That is what we call it, anyway; it apparently has no real name.  The Path calls around the world, most strongly, I believe, to those who can change their shape by some more natural means, like the Druids.  It can attract anyone, however, and will pull more strongly on those who are closer.  The call is a lie, or perhaps it should be 'the calls are lies.'  The Path makes promises and offers...
*She shrugs.*  ... whatever is most desired by each, I suppose.  The stronger the mind, the easier the lies are ignored.  Perhaps certain personality types are more easily swayed, also.

Do not misunderstand.  The Path is not a fixed place.  You cannot simply go there the same way we are going to Krandor.  Decades ago, it was centered somewhere in the Mountains of Storms, most likely because the journal had been triggered nearby.  

The purpose of the Path is to create combatants.  Their description is similar to the description of Tuhral Araljan - especially strong and very dangerous in combat, almost impossible to overcome and kill.  Whole units of these skirmishers were fielded during those wars.  It also seems the Path will make a shapeshifter of any who are not.  It is a dangerous trial, though.  Only one person can emerge from the Path victorious, and many die trying.  I do not know if those caught in the lies are made to feel threatened and paranoid purposely by the Path, or if that is simply an unintended consequence that serves its purpose.

Much more recently...  
*She pauses and sighs, frowning.*  ... the journal was stolen by the Green Dragon Cult.  I can only guess how they knew of the journal, though that is not important.  A reasonable case can be made that the journal is what they came to Mistone for, but that is for another time.  A rather large gathering of adventurers and mercenaries gathered outside Fort Vehl...  Maybe you saw the postings several months ago on various message boards offering gold and danger.  This was an arrangement by another individual to prepare a... makeshift army to wait for some sign of the journal.  I had previously been informed by the Church that the journal had been stolen... again... and was then independently contacted by the individual and asked to address the gathered group, thus making this, in some way, my makeshift army.  *She shakes her head a little.*

We were too late, though.  The Path had been opened again.  Maybe some of you felt its pull.  We tracked it to the Hammerbound Peaks.  Near the foothills, an injured horseman was encountered and we learned of the Cultist army marching for Fort Hurix.  Our group divided, many going to help the city and the rest continuing into the mountains.  I will tell that story another day, and will tell this one much better, also.  For now, know that through great hardships... *She glances at Argali briefly.*  ... our group recovered the journal again, and that it has been taken elsewhere to be kept safely.

What is important from that untold story, for now, is that we were aware of three of our group and six Cultists entering the final trials of the Path.  I have spoken to two of the three from our group since then, neither of whom completed the Path.  I do not know how many others may have reached the final trials before we arrived.  We did not see the faces of all the Cultists, though most were clearly not shaped as this man.  
*She indicates 'Ben.'*  Two looked dwarven or deep dwarven, one was taller and broader than this man, one looked like a human or elven woman, and one was scaly, green, and winged.  If this man has been through the Path successfully, he could be the Cultist who spoke to us within the Path, or may be a druid or someone else who arrived before us.  He may, though, have come to have his current affliction without any experience of the Path.  Clearly, though, with the dangers inherent in one who has completed the Path, it would be good to know one way or the other, which is why so many have made so much mention of the Path so far.

The following users thanked this post: Harlas Ravelkione, blonde, Serissa, Script Wrecked, Cinnabar, Zoogmunch

anything