The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Player initiated investigation sessions  (Read 3649 times)

EdTheKet

Player initiated investigation sessions
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:41:50 am »
Greetings,

we've been receiving requests on people wanting to pursue lines of investigation regarding the Dragon Storm plot.

You could use CDQ slots for this, but that would "cost" you a CDQ for your character. So what we'll do is Player Initiated Investigation Sessions.

These Investigation Sessions need to be for a group of players, as they should not be personal XP hunt sessions.
You can submit for one here by:

1) Indicating what you want to investigate, stating the clues/rumors/info you are basing it on.
2) Indicating what timezone you and the investigative party are in and at what times you are available, so we can look at GM availability
3) being aware that while this can be rewarding, it can also be dangerous or even lead you to nothing at all. :)
4) realizing the sessions will probably be open to everyone (unless valid reasons are given)

These will not be very long sessions, probably no longer than an hour or two max. The idea is to gather information/investigate something which may be of use.

We'll then look at the proposed Investigation and let you know if we'll run it, or not (because it may be covered in another quest already, or can be done in a PM).

It is not intended to be a re-run of information already handed out in another quest, because for you guys to achieve the best outcome the playerbase will have to communicate with each other across timezones.

(Best is in the eye of the beholder BTW ;) E.g. Blood may have been defeated, but the Dark Ages killed millions, good/bad? No idea! Could it have gone different? Yes :))

There's a group of GMs across many timezones running stuff, and you may not even realize until later that something could be related to DS, so you'll have to talk.

Have fun!

The following users thanked this post: Harlas Ravelkione, miltonyorkcastle, Yllyrryon, Acacea, Pen N Popper

Pen N Popper

Re: Player initiated investigation sessions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:55:37 am »
Not overlapping any GM quests, I would thoroughly enjoy the chance to be involved in something like this.  How do those not-in-the-know begin to get acclimated to the Dragon Storm campaign?

Will these player investigations be put on the GM / Player calendar for us to join in on?

It's the "chicken and the egg," I don't know enough ICly (or even OOCly) to initiate an investigation which would lead to further fun.

Edit:  Perhaps the WLs that know things could use the town criers to make suggestions on paths of investigation.  They can add things to them, right?

Great idea, my thanks!
~ PnP

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:13:36 am »
There are numerous active PCs who know bits and pieces of information on the current plot. Some know much, other little, many know different things since quests that affect the plot have been spread out over all timezones via different GMs.

Start to ask around and I wager you'll soon find someone who can help you. And the towncriers may already have things to tell you... if you ask the right way. *shifty*

Dezza

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:29:15 pm »
Okay lets get the ball rolling:

// Please note I am keeping this here for the future...instead I wish to go back and revisit the notion of investigating how the Dragon stealers are finding out where the Dragons are located. I believe there may be some magical means they are using to divine the locations of dragons. other than that there must be another means they are using i want to try and locate and then take it from there...

1/ Please refer to the last report regarding information about Phal from Harlas's quest:
http://forums.layonara.com/rofirein/149732-urgent-report-dragon-activities.html

2/ AEST timezone and those who will (if able) accompany me will be: Lexor, Argali, Hilda, Angela Swan, Alantha, Arkolio (unless Pseudo is running it), Sala Stonehill, Jin Lun lee, Arynne, and possibly a mix of a few others.

3/ Considering last time we travelled to Belinara there was an attempted assassination of us and other nasty treats this is understood!

4/ Totally acceptable and welcome!

stragen

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 05:00:18 pm »
// Hey Dezza, just to let you know I can't see that Forum you are pointing to.  -Stragen

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:07:45 pm »
//yeah you know im up for it

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:01:13 pm »
// Alright then. Let us find a day and time, so I can run this for you.

Since it will likely be Australian time, it should be a weekend. How about Saturday or Sunday the 8.th or 9.th of March?

Serissa

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:19:58 pm »
That should work for me.

akata

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 07:03:40 am »
Quote from: Harlas Ravelkione
// Alright then. Let us find a day and time, so I can run this for you.

Since it will likely be Australian time, it should be a weekend. How about Saturday or Sunday the 8.th or 9.th of March?

I would prefere the 9th then as my wife and daughter will be out of the house for most of the day anyhow :)

Blackguy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:26:51 am »
These player initiated quest are they locked? or would you know bits and pieces of it, if you hung around those people above it, and could join on that basis?

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:29:56 am »
Talk to those in question in game. There should be a reason for you to know where to be at the time of the quest, and you should know what is it about. Explanations and description of past events should be handled before the quest and not during the quest.

stragen

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:22:21 am »
// Sat 8 March Evening AEST or Sunday 9 March Morning or Evening AEST works for me.

Dezza

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 01:43:52 am »
I have Rodlins WLQD saturday night. Sunday is doable but prefer anytime next weekend if possible?

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 04:56:44 am »
Alright. I'll add a calendar event for next Sunday then.

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 01:42:19 pm »
Calendar event added.

ycleption

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 12:21:25 am »
A recent post reminded me I had been intending on doing this...

1) Basically, I was talking about a stealth mission into Milara's realm, to investigate the darkness covering it.
Drexia has been curious about what lies in Milara's realm, especially since the treaty was signed just before she made her way into the world. She has been trying to find someone to tell her whether going in would have political ramification since the treaty expired years ago, and finally found that it wouldn't.
A recent conversation with Plen has highlighted the importance of the area, and figuring out what is happening; he said that nothing could be seen from the skies, and I think many people are curious whether anything can be found from a mission via ground.

2) Late evenings CST are best for me, some fridays and weekends might work if it would allow more interested parties to join.

3) Absolutely. Drexia is certainly not expecting to find anything, and the danger has certainly been stressed enough.

4) I think this should be as open as possible, subject to RP considerations. There are some people Drexia would refuse to allow to come with her, as I'm sure would others who might be coming. Other than that, I think anyone who is willing to leave clanky armor behind, and who has some credentials in the stealthy department (or can convince a mage in the party to cast hiding-type spells on them) would be welcome.
If the DM wants to put a cap on the number of people who could attend, I would ask that those who were present when Plen was talking to the group of us on Dregar be given priority.

scifibarbie

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 03:41:42 am »
Abi is very interested in doing this. She has discussed this with Drexia a couple of times along with a couple of other trustworthy adventurers.

She has been to a couple of different gathering where Plen gave some history, and talked to us at length about Milara and the need to find out what he is up to.

I think the main goal of the expedition would be to try and discover the disposition (ya for military speak!) of milaras forces. Is he gearing up for a war? If not, can we discern what is causing the cloud?

And depending on what we find..maybe cause some mischief for milara. ;)

Most evenings are good for me..Im CST (chicago standard time), but im pretty flexible. :D

scifibarbie

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 02:41:22 am »
Drexia and ABi and a small group have set things in motion.

Now to see what happens. :o :D

Falonthas

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:40 pm »
*drops down from the sill*

death awaits those who enter those mountains, even the animals dont go there anymore

*signed with sap and gem dust*
Khuren

Dezza

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 08:01:24 pm »
Sasha has been continuing to gather information about the Dragon Stealers in order to find a weakness that can be exploited. Now that we know for sure that Phal is in the hands of the enemy Sasha wants to take another tact since an all out attack on Phal where they are raising an army is not an option at this time.

Sasha has new information about how the Dragon Stealers are finding more dragons to corrupt and wants to investigate it by going to Spellguard and seeing if she can speak with people there adept at scrying and other magical means.

Sasha will be accompanied by Storold and several others who have a vested interest in pursuing this avenue.

anything