The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Armor and Weapons for sale  (Read 403 times)

blfarris

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
Armor and Weapons for sale
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:06:00 am »
Posted at Hlint Inn

The following items are currently in inventory, with asking price next to each item ...

Armors

Copper Chain Shirt - 50
Bronze Tower Shield - 250
Bronze Kite Shield - 250
Bronze Heater Shield - 250
Bronze Full Plate - 800
Bronze Scale Mail - 400
Bronze Splint Mail - 400
Bronze Chain Shirt - 100
Large Bronze Shield - 125
Iron Buckler Shield - 100
Small Iron Shield - 50
Iron Star Shield - 100
Iron Chain Shirt - 1000
Iron Banded Mail - 1200
Iron Chain Mail - 1200
Iron Half Plate - 2000
Iron Scale Mail - 1200
Iron Splint Mail - 1200
Large Iron Shield - 125
Iron Tower Shield - 750
Iron Heater Shield - 750
Platinum Chain Shirt - 5000

Weapons

Copper Darts (25) - 10
Copper Darts (50) - 15
Copper Bullets (99) - 25
Iron Short Swords - 600
Iron Long  Swords - 1000
Iron Great Axe - 1500
Iron Battle Axe - 1250
Iron Scimitar - 1200
Iron Bastard Sword - 1500
Iron Katana - 1500
Hickory Longbow - 250
Oak Longbows - 1250
Oak Shortbows - 750
Oak Longbow of the Hunter - 2500
Bolt, copper tipped Jickory Falcon Tail (20) - 5
Arrow, Iron Tipped Mahogany Falcon Tail (20) - 1000
Arrow, Iron Tipped Oak Falcon Tail (20) - 500
Arrow, Iron Tipped Mahogany Stirge Tail (40) - 2500
Arrow, Iron Tipped Oak Owl Tail (60) - 2250

If you dont see what you need ask

Noss or Argos can get these items for you

Harloff

RE: Armor and Weapons for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:14:00 am »
// These prices are very low blfarris, you are driving the rest of us out of business...

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:32:00 am »
// Please take a look at the pricing lens price. It will give you general directions for pricing your items (in most cases). We have a fragile economy on Layonara, and dumping prices can harm it.

Harloff

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:35:00 am »

blfarris

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:53:00 am »
// when you cant even give the stuff away, I think there is a bigger problem then someone trying to sell the items

// I will not discuss pricing any further ... all I want to do is make a item and sell it ... THERE ARE NO BUYERS

// I seen an other players characters inventory (my character was shopping) ... this person had over 30 large crates of armor and weapons in storage FULL ... I will say it again, this causes lag ... my opinion ... but to have such an inventory is not helping the Layo economy nor the game play nor the role play

// above items is all I have in inventory ... and dont plan on making more unless a character asks Noss or Argos to make the item ... have no desire to fill crates for items to sit

blfarris

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 08:02:00 am »
In Character

Noss ran into someone today who seen this posting
They were very upset at the prices ...
Noss simply asked why, the reply was that it would hurt them, so Noss replied for them to buy the items at "such low prices" and make a profit when they sell them
This person declined and swore at me

Noss laughed

Harloff

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 08:11:00 am »
// For the record I am not very upset. I just understood it as a server rule not to sell items to cheap. And yes the marked is not very big, but still i have sold several iron and oak weapons at full price.

Leanthar

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 08:12:00 am »
These prices are too low and you need to adjust them.  If they are not adjusted then we will take action in game with the character and player.  We have a rule to not sell so cheaply and you are aware of the rule, please abide by it.

freemen2

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 08:21:00 am »
Promise, Path will bring ye apples, when yer in the slammer, Noss ;)

blfarris

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 08:36:00 am »
// As per "L" posting on this subject

// Dont ask Noss to buy anything, he is out of the trade market

// most items above will be going to the pawn dealer later today

jrizz

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
Hey Noss, dont throw your stuff away. I make things also and too suffer from the supply and demamnd issue. But since there are socalitic rulle in plcae for standard pricing you need to find other ways to get your items into the market. I trade mine for all kinds of things. For instance a very happy halfling asked me to make him a oak pipe, I did, he wanted to pay me but instead of gold I asked him to get me 6 oak sand papers. And another time i traded a bronze great sword for all the summon scrolls this one character will find in a time frame. this is a fun way to deal with the items that are becomming quite common. In this way you dont put up prices but you "haggle" for gold and goods.

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
blfarris - 10/27/2005  7:53 AM

// when you cant even give the stuff away, I think there is a bigger problem then someone trying to sell the items

// I will not discuss pricing any further ... all I want to do is make a item and sell it ... THERE ARE NO BUYERS

// I seen an other players characters inventory (my character was shopping) ... this person had over 30 large crates of armor and weapons in storage FULL ... I will say it again, this causes lag ... my opinion ... but to have such an inventory is not helping the Layo economy nor the game play nor the role play

// above items is all I have in inventory ... and dont plan on making more unless a character asks Noss or Argos to make the item ... have no desire to fill crates for items to sit

There is always a market for goods... by this I mean the pawn shop vendors.  They may not offer very good prices, but they will at least purchase most craftable items when you can not sell them to players at the suggested retail price (lens of pricing).  I understand how you feel.  I craft quite a bit myself, but I do not expect to make full price on everything that I craft for crafting experience becuase there is simply not a market for it, so I suck it up and sell it to the pawn vendor.  Usually, you are not going to LOSE money by selling it to the pawn vendor.  If you insist on making a decent profit by underselling others, you will simultaneous flood the supply while depressing the existing demand.  YOU WILL MAKE A PROFIT, but others pricing properly will not.

In essence, if you are going to craft many items for the crafting experience you better get used to the pawn vendor prices or long term storage.  I would suggest the pawn vendor in order to reduce lag.  If you do this, in the long run, you will still make a modest (very modest) profit or at least break even.  If you want to maximize your gain, sell only in a LARGE town whose vendors pay the most (like Pranzis or Port Hampshire or something).

jrizz

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 01:47:00 pm »
so you suggest that what the pawn vendors pay is acceptable? A iron long sword with II fire for 35gp.

Gilrod

• Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 03:21:00 pm »
jrizz - 10/27/2005  1:47 PM

so you suggest that what the pawn vendors pay is acceptable? A iron long sword with II fire for 35gp.

Yes... considering the effect of longterm storage (if you wait for a buyer to arise) and the effect on the overall economy for dumping.  In my opinion, if you are making items primarily for the purpose of increasing your crafting stats, you should be ready to accept that you will not be doing it for monetary gains in the short run.  When you have the skill to make many items dependably, then produce them to order or to refresh the short supply.

For an iron sword with an enchantment II, it would not take long to make the sword to order when there is supply.  Making an item in great quantities when there is no or limited demand would be foolish in real life (they would likely sell them at a loss when considering the time involved) and result in the market being further depressed.  In Layonara, concerns such as food and rent are minimized so the crafter's "time" is worth less.  To you as an individual, the price drop does not appear to be a loss.  That is the problem.  If everyone floods the market with low cost goods, not only is the value of the item going to be further depressed but the market will be flooded with iron swords with level II enchantment so that everyone with 50 gp and the level will be running around with one without having to "earn" it by raising the money first.  

This is a low magic world where such items should not be common.  Would it remain a low magic world if the rules did not exist?  

Furthermore, breaking into the market would be nearly impossible for the new crafter who has more difficulty making the same item as the experienced crafter of higher level.  The more experienced crafter could always undercut your price because it is easier for them to make.  For example, one of my characters could easily undercut ALL of your prices for iron weapons and armor because of his skills across many catagories.  Would you want me to do that to you just because I seek a quick gold piece?

If you want a quick gold piece, then yes... the pawn vendor's price is acceptable.  If there were no price controls, what you make would be worth about what the price the pawn vendor offers you.  If you do not believe that, talk to people who were around when the market fell apart about a year ago.  The price guideline rules exist for a reason.

(Actually, the prices got so low that people were mass producing goods for sale at the vendors to make huge profits (... profits that would not be realized in an actual economy).  For this reason the vendor prices were set really low.)

Do you see the point? L and the others are not trying to quash your business spirit, they are just trying to preserve some simblence of order in Layonara's economy.  Standard pricing in one of the evils a producer MUST endure in Layonara in order to maintain order without real life controls (such as the value of a person's time) effecting price.

I hope you continue crafting for its own sake.  I do not make any profit at all from crafting (what little wealth I have comes from selling materials I find - like gems I do not have the skill to cut - to other crafters).  I hope to see your name on the craft skill boards. :)

jrizz

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
good points and I agree with you. I see that this is hard to balence. as for myself, I craft to make the arrows and bolts that I and my friends need and they supply me with things that I need. For the special items I like the model where you have to gather the components and then someone makes it for you. Mass producing is in my opinon the wrong thing to do (unless it is something like arrows or darts...). I have seen in some houses, large chests full of rings all of the same kind. I think the thieves guild need to do some house cleaning :) could make for some fun RP :)

Cheers

twidget658

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
It is simple --

If it is not selling... STOP MAKING IT!!

havoc

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 01:04:00 am »
I am still pretty new to this world, and I have found it almost impossible to sell any of my crafted items.  Its easy to say don't make them if they don't sell, but if you stop making items you can not progress in the craft.  If you can't sell the items what good is it to make something.  The topic circles around and around.  
Its frustrating to those of us, with very limited time to even begin crafting.  I only can get a few hours here and there to even play.  I enjoy this world and the integrated crafting system.  I wish it were easier to show some accomplishment with crafted items.  I mostly just make things and sell them to the pawn dealer when my pockets are too full or I have over extended my weight limit.
I accept that I will not be able to profit from my efforts.  I also see where others might not feel that is right.

jrizz

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
I have looked at zeros priceing guide and in some areas it is way off in terms of what prices are out there. Is there a better list somewhere?

Leanthar

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 03:20:00 pm »
ZV stated in that thread (yesterday) that he would be updating it.

twidget658

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
Almost everything I make goes to the pawnshop.

You ask, "Why make it?"
My reply, "Because I enjoy it!" I like using things that I make. I don't do it for the money. I do make things for the guild and I do sell some things...that is a bonus.

I am a ranger. I love exploring and collecting. I have maps that tell where everything is. I love the crafting system, not for profit, but for the reward of success and the satisfaction of using what I create. I love hitting the small chances.

Crafting just to get to higher levels is not fun. It is boring. [yellow]Crafting because you like collecting the CNR and risking it all to make something new, is rewarding and fun.[/yellow] And the levels just come so it feeds your hunger. That is why I like it. I do solo runs on purpose. I like the thrill and the reward of sneaking the cherries off of the trees while giants are three feet away, for example. My feats support my habit. That is what I have decided I want my character to do. His armor is a little better than leather, but it aids in the hide skills. (Better for sneaking to get other CNR)

The reason why the prices are so low for the easy to get stuff is because everyone can get it. Things like sand and certain plants that take a while to collect sell because it is time consuming to collect, but the lower level characters can build great relations by collecting some and selling to the higher levels. It is called a business deal. The ones that are higher level have put a lot of time in it and have been here for a while. It doesn’t happen overnight. Slow down and enjoy the process. If you want something NOW, then buy it. You don’t have to be a crafter.

A matter a fact, I am having crafting withdrawals right now. I am going to stop typing this, log on, and craft. When crafting, I will RP with whoever is near. In between crafts, I will RP. While gathering CNR, I will RP. I am going to have fun! See you IG! *smiles*