The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Gloin's Wake  (Read 90 times)

Victor

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
Gloin's Wake
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
Woe!  The tale of Gloin's tragic death spreads.  Word passes from dwarf to dwarf and the story grows in the telling.  The master crafter was eaten by a bone dragon as he attempted to save the town from the fools who lead it to the gate!  His valiant stand in the creature's path will not soon be forgotten.  There is much gnashing of teeth and tearing at beards as word that the soul mother has claimed him reaches his kinsmen.

Fellow dwarves, it is our duty to provide dearest Gloin with a wake the likes of which Layonara has never seen.  Never mind the crazed halfling that insists she's seen him walking the town.  Our beloved kinsman's spirit deserves a proper toast in the dwarven tradition.  Gather all of his friends and family to drink ale and sing his praises till we shake the walks of the inn with our voices!

aragwen

RE: Gloin's Wake
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 12:49:00 am »
*Jacchri walks through Hlint and hears people whispering about Gloin*
  Gloin has been claimed by the Soul Mother?
  NO!!
  *Jacchri walks slowly to the shop and falls to his knees in front of the shop*
  Oh Gloin, why you?  You have always been such a good mentor and friend. Why did she have to take you?
  *Jacchri sits there the pain visible behind his eyes*
  *He slowly takes a flag of Folian out and starts a silent prayer*
  "Longstrider, I speak to you today as I dont think Vorax will hear me. My dear friend and mentor Gloin has been ripped from the world of the living and is probably wandering in the Plane of the Lost. He was a good dwarf and has done many good things in the world. If you can please put in a good word for him with Vorax. He has been a brave warrior and always defended the just and the righteous of this world.
  He was much loved by most and his friendly and gentle ways would surely be missed in this world.
  Thanks for listening to me and if it pleases you, guide my steps in walking the path you choose for me."
  *slowly gets up and wipes a single tear away* 

s0ulz

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:57:00 am »
*Fenrir hears this rumor*

"What?! Ye talkin' mad? Gloin can't be dead!!"

*yet he hears of more confirming stories and rumors and sighs in desperation and grief*

"He be the one o' the finest kinsmen eh knew... a REAL dwarf! Vorax have mercy on him and on us all."

*Fenrir puts his axe on the ground and whispers a prayer towards Vorax. The prayer is zealous and comes straight from the heart. He then rises and wipes his tears with his beard and sits on the ground with deep grief*

"Vorax guide yer soul back te us, Gloin"

Harloff

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 06:44:00 am »
// has gloin chosen not to try to have the DT removed anyway?

http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19479&posts=9

I just think it is nice to have this taken care before we RP to much on his death. and have to find an excuse if he returns.

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 06:52:00 am »
// Either way, it was his 9th, not 10th.

Harloff

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 07:01:00 am »
// now i am really confused... cptoad states that the DT he wanted removed was his ninth:
http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19478&posts=4

Leanthar

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 07:23:00 am »
//To me it sounds like he has decided not to come back (and in the middle of an ECDQ) and instead wants it to be a Soul Mother reason.  The Soul Mother only takes it on the 10th DT--no exceptions... I may be wrong but I don't see any other reason why he would be spreading word like this via ooc methods.

Harloff

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 07:39:00 am »
// AH! I thought that he had met the dragon twice... Sorry for writing occ comments in the thread.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 09:22:00 am »
*Cole sighs and dumps out the Ale he had been sipping, causing Yastin to yell a slew of profanities at him*

"So... many... gone...  I don't even feel like drinking anymore..."

*He turns and walks out of the Wild Surge, tossing his mug behind him*

Acacea

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 01:30:00 pm »
Acacea, after a rather trying day, stalks into the Wild Surge to look for news that she's missed recently, and comes across Victor's notice for the wake. She sighs in exasperation after the first few words, and on continuing to the end, her jaw drops. "Oh, for the love of anything sacred and good to drink, I said he got up again!" She re-reads it again and throws her hands in the air. "Crazed halfling? Crazed!"

She mutters and adds her own reply to the bottom, swearing in her best parroted dwarven.

On one side, you've got the wailing dwarves trying to hold a wake for a guy who isn't dead- or at least wasn't after the incident they described (I'll call them the Mistakenly Mourning!), and on another, one who got himself killed by a bone dragon despite being warned that it was in town and looking for company (Barmy Bonehead?). Compared to them, I don't see how the halfling who also came in after it was already there, but managed to use her ears to think "Maybe I won't go that way!" AND gave the correct information about the incident, is the crazed one!

I'm all for parties, but really.

Happy to be crazy if these guys are sane,

Acacea the Moonstouched Madwoman

Victor

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
Gloin is gone.  Did he fall out of the bone dragon's ribcage intact, as it attempted to devour him?  Who can say?  We have only the account of poor Mad Acacea, who fiercely denies that he is dead and becomes greatly agitated by the mere mention of Gloin's demise.

I fear that we will all be driven mad with grief unless we can drown our sorrows in a prodigious amount of fermented beverage!  Let us not quibble about the manner or permanence of Gloin's death.  Rather, let us celebrate his life.  

Lift your glasses high, and remember Gloin!

Leanthar

anything