The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: No Need For Redemption  (Read 103 times)

Yllyrryon

No Need For Redemption
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:13:05 pm »
*Ael circulates copies of the his missive throughout groups of Az'atta's faithful and other surface dwelling drow throughout Dregar, Rilara, and Mistone; then posts a copy in the Surge*

“There is no need for Redemption, nor for Vengeance and Hate, nor for Submission to Shadow.  These three paths are integrally linked, keeping our kindred, the race known as The Drow, lost either in abject depravity or confused by contradictory teachings devoid of real meaning.

Herein I shall address the teachings of Az’atta’s church to begin to clarify the confusion engendered therefrom.  Later I shall enumerate the integral link between Az’atta, Ca’Duz and the Shadow; and how these three faiths have limited us from our full potential, both as individuals and as a race.

Supposedly Az’atta achieved enlightenment through an evil act, to wit, drinking the blood of an enlightened avatar she herself had slain.  Yet no being can become enlightened in such a manner, but only through a mindful openness to the flow of one’s own life which in turn leads to a series of insights attained over the years.  Any degree of enlightenment cannot be passively transferred from one being to another in any way whatsoever.  The path of enlightenment is an active process unique to each and every individual who chooses to tread it.

Furthermore, there is no pinnacle of enlightenment, as per the well known proverb, “Even the Masters have Masters.”  The path is truly a journey without destination; hence all that matters is the journey itself.  As for Az’atta, whatever insight she attained in the moments following her vile act may have changed her for the better, and may have set her on a course towards enlightenment.  Yet not even she herself could have ever known how enlightened she had, in fact, become.

In reiteration, Az’atta did not achieve some summit of consciousness by drinking the avatar’s blood.  

Moreover, any state of mind she subsequently achieved did not in itself justify any act she committed thereafter, for better or worse.  Degrees of enlightenment yield comparable degrees of skillful action.  Questions of good or evil, light or darkness, right or wrong are all part of a dualistic perspective that one eventually transcends as they move forward on the path.

The preceding contains a succinct definition of enlightenment, to the degree words can encompass it.  Ever since the moment Az’atta was granted ascension by two fallible gods, the Church of Az’atta has muddled concepts of enlightenment with teachings drawn from the story of her life and ascension.

One of the core teachings is as follows:

'All creatures of Layonara are worthy of Az’atta’s mercy, if they choose to accept it. You must offer all creatures, regardless of past acts, a chance to accept the mercy, redemption, and love offered by Az’atta. '

In the context of this faith, mercy and love are divine dispensations offered by the ascended being who is now known as Az’atta, The Redemptress.  To the extent a mortal chooses to follow this goddess, they must strictly adhere to this admonition.  The teaching is nothing more than what this goddess wants her followers to do, and has no bearing on enlightenment.

Now the only redemption Az’atta has any power to offer directly is by retrieving the souls of her devout from the Void of the Lost.  There is nothing this goddess or any other deity can do to offer any being in this realm any form of redemption.  And here there is no need to explore the nature of redemption as we have done with enlightenment.  Those who follow the Phoenix need only look within their own hearts, their own lives to see the truth of this: redemption is not something granted by any one;  and it is necessary only when the individual defines a need for it in their own life, based on a wise assessment thereof.

When approaching questions of redemption in our own lives, we should look to motive.  Why do we think we need to be redeemed?  Are we seeking others’ approval, so that we might better “fit in” on the surface, our new home?  Are we trying to pay for something we did in the past that now we view as wrong or unfortunate?  Oftentimes, such desire drives us to do so-called “good works”.  Yet there is much truth in the proverb that “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”.

Redemption is thing of emotion, of desire, and not of reason.  To satisfy this drive requires others’ stamp of approval, to some degree.  Thus redemption is a fickle thing at best.  As fickle as the gods themselves.  And as such, achieving it is for the most part beyond any individual’s control.

In contrast, enlightenment is something achievable and worthy of striving towards.  Just as it cannot be granted, so too it cannot be withheld.  

Brothers and sisters in blood and spirit, I ask you to contemplate what I have written here.  Think of who and where you are now, and what you aspire to become.  The path is open to you, and the tools to follow it are offered.  The choice is yours as to whether you take into your own hands the further course of your lives.

Ael’Rynth d’lil Maethra”

AeonBlues

Re: No Need For Redemption
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 03:39:01 pm »
*A trail of sand leads to the message board*

Most often I offer redemption at the end of my sword.

Redemption, but one facet of Az’atta’s true meaning, and is not something I feel compelled to over exaggerate.  I try to work with people that I feel can change their ways.  I find that people are like gems.  Some become beautiful, but others you have to smash into dust.  If I think an evil being has the potential to find redemption in their own heart, then I will help them on that path.  Recently a fellow Drow spat when I announced that I was a cleric of Az’atta.  Later that man was on the ground bleeding to death, surrounded by desert clan giants.  I cast my domain sanctuary, ran in, and cast my most powerful heal spell on him, and he rose to full strength.  I don’t expect him to turn his ways at that moment, but a seed has been planted.  His life was saved by the power of Az’atta.  Would a cleric of Ca’Duz have saved him that way, or just watched him die, and called him weak?  The thing about redemption is that it is not something that can be offered.  The individual must want to change, and when that change happens, the person is redeemed.  No one else needs to approve.  Redemption is a personal recognition.  No matter who you are, or what you have done.  If you change your ways, and open your heart, Az;atta will accept you.  

I have spent my entire life trying to fully understand the path of Az’atta, and it is only recently that I have become confident in my beliefs.  One thing is that there is no organization to speak of.  I have never been offered guidance, or mentoring from the church of Az’atta.  I have never been asked to aid the church, nor have I been chastised for any of my actions.  This is the path of Az’atta.  She walked the surface with a few allies, and forged her own path, guided only by the goodness in her heart.  As far as I am concerned, I answer only to my own heart, and when I pass on, I shall stand before Az’atta and be judged.   She is my only superior.  I bow only to her will, and none stand before her.  If people with power question me, then I say that I have power too.  Power to
stand and defend this land with love, compassion, and truth.  I do not lead by force of will, nor to do follow that kind of leadership.  I lead by good example.  I lead by earning respect.  I do not command.  I suggest, I listen, I negotiate, I do what I feel is right.  This is my way.  This is my path.  If this path is wrong, then I will pay for my mistakes when my soul stands before the burning phoenix.

Cymeran Vrinn

Yllyrryon

RE: No Need For Redemption
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:43:02 pm »
I appreciate your candor, Cymeran.

In accordance with what I wrote previously, you are one who has chosen Az’atta as your goddess and you strive to do what you think she would have you do.  All of this implicit in what you have written, above.

You have provided the testimonial of a single drow who has decided to attempt to follow what you perceive as Az’atta’s path.  But for each drow you offer as an example of one who follows this faith, I can show you three or more who, in being true to themselves, follow neither this path nor its teachings.  And I do not speak of those who languish in the depravity of the Lord of Hate or of the Shadow.

I, myself, am one of these many.

Like you, I am guided by my own heart as I seek to preserve this realm.   Yet wisdom is my sole master and the only power to which I answer are the laws of cause and effect.  I learn from and reap the bounty of skillful conduct just as I learn from and unflinchingly bare the cost of unskillful action.  Always learning, always growing, always becoming something more than I was in the previous moment.  Nothing apart from myself can prevent or impede this.

Now as you well know, many presume to judge us, regardless of what particular path we tread.  This ranges from outright hatred devoid of reason to more a more subtle attitude which grants grudging acceptance yet is always ready to condemn us, given the slightest excuse for doing so.  In light of both of our testimonies, such judgment is meaningless.  

This is as it should be.  So to those of whom I speak, I declare as follows.   Save your breaths.  We are drow; it is we and not you, who define who and what we are.  We are here, on the surface, now an integral part thereof, and there is nothing you can do to change this.  And we openly defy any who would challenge these premises.

I take a moment here, to address all of those who have given each of us the chance to earn their trust and respect.  This is all for which have ever asked.  And this particular drow would face death itself on behalf of any of those who have come to be his true friends.  I know with deep conviction that I am not the only drow who is able to declare such devout loyalty.

In closing, Cymeran, I too declare that I prefer to lead by example.  But in over a hundred years I have lived on the surface, certain words have never been spoken, certain teachings never offered, and certain actions never done.  And so, I have assumed the burden of trying to meet this deficit.  I move forward because what I am doing and intend to do needs to be done; I move from conviction and not desire; and any leadership I provide is offered in the spirit of service and not of grasping.  Whether a multitude rallies to the ideas and ideals I espouse or whether I alone will be their advocate is entirely immaterial.

anything