The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Abigail Firesteed- WLDQ request  (Read 3232 times)

scifibarbie

Abigail Firesteed- WLDQ request
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:35:28 pm »
Here we go!

Official request for Abigail Firesteed to be considered for an attempt at being a world leader.

Her original pc submission

Her PrC submission

Her Journals:

My book- By A.F.
Lost

Her updated bio with quest list

Id like to thank the academy ahead of time for their consideration. :D

The following users thanked this post: jrizz, Lord Dark, Lynn1020, Lance Stargazer, willhoff

Carillon

Re: Abigail Firesteed- WLDQ request
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:44:20 pm »
Hi scifibarbie,

Thanks for your submission. It will be reviewed by the GM team and we will let you know if we have any questions.

As we like to consider WLDQ applications with all the care and attention they deserve, it can take a bit of time for all the Team members to read through your application and such. We will try to get back to you within a week with a decision, but if we need more time to discuss things we will try to let you know.

Thanks, and of course if you have any questions about the approval process we are always here to answer them!

~Carillon

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:27:49 pm »
WHOA!  Good luck Scifi!

jadewillow

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:42:33 pm »
Good luck Scifi. Well deserved in my mind.

Carillon

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:47:16 pm »
Hi Scifibarbie,

Just a quick update, although we like to get back to people within a week if possible some of the GMs still need some time to read your application and weigh in on things, and we like to hear from as much of the Team as we can on this, especially the GMs who know you best.

Sorry for the delay. We'll keep you posted, and hopefully have a decision for you quite soon.

~Carillon

Lynn1020

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:03:59 pm »
Quote from: jadewillow
Good luck Scifi. Well deserved in my mind.

Agree!  Well deserved! Good luck! :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 10:11:20 pm »
Umm folks, there hasn't been a decision yet  ;)

Lynn1020

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:15:12 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Umm folks, there hasn't been a decision yet  ;)

Umm... thats why I said good luck. ;)

Carillon

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:03 pm »
Hello Scifibarbie,

Apologies on behalf of the Team for the delay in getting back to you about your application. We value our World Leaders and the application process and like to make sure each GM has a chance to offer their comments and insight on new candidates.

Your application has now been reviewed and thoroughly discussed by the GM Team. However, I am sorry to inform you that you were not approved to attempt a WLDQ with Abigail Firesteed at this time. I am about to send you a PM with more details.

We encourage you to apply again in two months time. Please take a look at the rules and guidelines below, so that you are clear on the requirements:

World Leader Requirements

On a slightly unrelated note, but since it was mentioned in your application, we would also like to take this opportunity to clarify your lore question about Spellswords. (Please note, this in no way affected our decision regarding your WLDQ approval, but since many people enjoy reading the WLDQ applications we wanted to publicly set the record straight, so to speak, so there was no lingering confusion!)

A spellsword (Or spellstaff/spellmace/spellaxe) is someone who has learned to channel the Al'Noth through their weapon, and also to cast more effectively in armor. Spellswords are people who have learned to hone their combat abilities and their arcane magical talents (in whatever form those might come, be it sorcerer, wizard, bard), and to combine these two skills to best use both magic and armor. Some consider these individuals to have mastered the ideal fusion of magic and melee, and they are often regarded with awe or even fear by both other practitioners of the Al'Noth (because of their ability to cast effectively in armor) and mercenaries and common people (because of their ability to harness the power of magic).

Although like any Prestige Class, Spellswords should be considered somewhat rare and certainly less common than wizards, sorcerers, bards or even weaponmasters or duelists, they are not incredibly rare. There are a number of Spellswords (and spellaxes, spell(whatever)s, etc.) around, and there would be a number of NPCs in most cities with a high concentration of magic users who demonstrate these abilities, at the least. Spellswords are about as common as shadowdancers, arcane archers, shifters and skalds.

Furthermore, in case there was any ambiguity, a spellsword's abilities are learned rather than innate and manifested. One cannot be born a spellsword any more than one can be born a shadowdancer or an arcane archer or a skald--all are entirely learned skills, either through training or individual practice. Like any other learned ability, the spellsword may have characteristics that predispose them to being able to master imbuing weapons or casting in armor, such as their ability with magic and their skill in combat, their determination, their concentration, etc., but there is no spellsword gene.

We get the impression that you as a player have a different view on the spellsword class than what is mentioned above. While characters may believe what they will based on what they hear, it is important that the player understands the OOC concept--in this case, that a spellsword's abilities are learned rather than innate and manifested and are not that rare. In fact, the spellsword can be seen as the melee representation of an arcance archer.

We hope this helps clarify any questions you might have had about spellswords. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the Ask A Gamemaster thread.

scifibarbie

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 04:07:51 am »
Thanks for that. Just for a note of clarification though

We get the impression that you as a player have a different view on the spellsword class than what is mentioned above. While characters may believe what they will based on what they hear, it is important that the player understands the OOC concept--in this case, that a spellsword's abilities are learned rather than innate and manifested and are not that rare. In fact, the spellsword can be seen as the melee representation of an arcance archer.

This is what Ive thought all along. Though maybe I didnt clearly define that idea in my request. For those who have read Flynns training excerpts and Abis its an idea she very much espouses. I know IG even before she permed, she turned away a couple pcs who wanted her to teach them just for that reason.

Her idea was that it was something more to be trained as a spellsword. Just being able to cast magic, then don your armor and go fight is something most fighter mage combos do anyway. Though mechanically IG thats pretty much all we do. ;) RP wise it should improve the PC's (or NPC's) character in some fundamental way as most types of intense training tend to do.

Although like any Prestige Class, Spellswords should be considered somewhat rare and certainly less common than wizards, sorcerers, bards or even weaponmasters or duelists, they are not incredibly rare.

As far as their rarity. That was more due to things that happened in game in relation to her cdq, and quests that were run that led me to believe spellswords as a specific class were pretty rare even within the NPC domain.

Thanks again guys! See ya again in a few months. :D