The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Making True  (Read 523 times)

Making True
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:14:07 pm »
Hey guys, I'm new to the world and am really enjoying everything so far... well that is everything except for not having any currency.  I guess I'm missing something but I am finding myself without the ability to purchase healing supplies and therefore unable to adventure.  I would appreciate any input on the matter.  Thanks in advance.

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Making True
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:17:02 pm »
hint Hint...  Look for NPCs offering Jobs.  some involve fighting, but there is someone that just wants you to pick up some items for them, and another that just wants you to deliver Items for them...  ;)

orth

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:47:24 pm »
Just some random thoughts:

Don't be shy and ask for donations for your bardic performances, some folks just don't think of it and need a bit of a reminder.

There are safe places to gather natural resources.  Most guilds and many crafting individuals buy natural resources by the box, use the Trade and Market Hall forum to sell boxes of items you can manage to retrieve.

Buy and pick flowers and sell them at a profit to wooers you can put on the spot ;)

Try to group up with others, this usually ends with the group splitting the treasure equally. A well played bard can be an excellent addition to an adventure in many capacities.

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »
The group thing definitely helps at low levels. And try exploring a bit, some of the beginner areas give no true, others give a good deal.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 07:45:47 pm »
Yeah guys, I'm getting where you're going with everything and I really appreciate the advice so far.  I guess I've gotten so used to playing the hack and slash sort of games that options like that just don't pose themselves.  I just need to think outside of the box a little more.  I was just getting worried with my dwindling resources and the need for food and water.  Once again, thanks for the feedback so far.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 08:44:24 pm »
Some foods grow naturally and can be found for pretty much free.  Take, just about any berry or nut for instance.  Although, you do have to eat quite a few berries or nuts to get full, so they may not be the best choice.

Other alternatives if your character isn't opposed to eating meats (and other things) are fishing, hunting wild game animals, or learning to become a master chef.

Fish are obtainable via the use of a fishing pole (there's even a 'pocket' pole for 'right-sized folks'), a shovel (to dig for worms), line and bait (worms, or lures).  Alternatively you can use a bow with fishing arrows to plug those swimming morsels.

If you posess a skinning knife, wild game such as deer and boar can yield meat as well.  After you've killed an animal, look to see if it has a 'skinnable corpse' and then equip your skinning knife to skin the corpse.  Once you have some meat you'll need flint (good for 20 uses) and tinder (1 use each) to build a campfire over whch to cook your meat.

Lastly, if being a gourmet chef is your style, there're also CNR recipes to be prepared in the kitchens of most major inns/taverns.  However, becomming proficient enough to cook 'crafted' gourmet foods takes a lot of practice and time, so you'll likely want to opt for the campfire cooking for a while until you learn to cook like a pro.

Using these resources instead of buying your food from the local inn or tavern will save you loads of True in no time at all.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:03:59 pm »
Befriend a lot of Clerics. :) Other than that, you can expect to have to get a weekly budget going to manage your healing supplies.

Or learn a lot of healing spells.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:27:51 am »
Heh!  START FISHING!  It's Cheap, easy, AND its FREE FOOD!

Faldred

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:57:44 am »
Quote from: Nehetsrev
If you posess a skinning knife, wild game such as deer and boar can yield meat as well.  After you've killed an animal, look to see if it has a 'skinnable corpse' and then equip your skinning knife to skin the corpse.  Once you have some meat you'll need flint (good for 20 uses) and tinder (1 use each) to build a campfire over whch to cook your meat.

Just to be clear... with a decent Fort save, the cooking step is quite optional.  Certain characters have been known to wolf down raw meat as their primary diet.

ycleption

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 12:14:58 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Heh!  START FISHING!  It's Cheap, easy, AND its FREE FOOD!

Just a note, if your character can, bow fishing is much easier and cheaper. As a new character, pole fishing will probably cost you more than you save from getting free food.

bobby1361

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 10:43:48 am »
Get a group of friends.
Adventure with them, its what i did, even though i've been playing for over half a year at least i sitll havn't ever had over 20k true :P
Friends will help you not die, and if you have a cleric friend who can heal you, all the better.