The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Adultery  (Read 224 times)

Masterjack

Adultery
« on: July 23, 2007, 03:02:07 pm »
I was going through the lore pages and noticed that Adultery is considered a crime. Is it possable to get a definition of Adultery? To some it is sex between a married person and someone that is not their spouce. To others it is sex between two unmarried people.

Masterjack

akata

Re: Adultery
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:35:22 pm »
copied from the serverrules

Role playing sexual encounters between characters is not allowed. Characters may get married and/or have children, however any sexual situations may not be explicitly role played.

~Akata

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:52:03 pm »
though that doesnt mean the intimate conversations such as flirting are no-nos....  *shifty eyes*

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:53:11 pm »
Be sure you have a high rank in the balance skill before you tread the fine line.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 03:54:04 pm »
Put it this way.  If you wouldnt want your mom to see you doing it, dont RP it

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 03:56:37 pm »
That's actually a pretty good standard for relationship RP in Layo, actually. Good call, Shiff.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 03:59:38 pm »
I try...  ;)

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:39:04 pm »
In terms of when it's an IC and in-game "crime", I always considered adultery to be more akin to breaking the sanctity of an established marraige vs. having pre-marital relations.  It's one thing to be dating somebody and delve into a little bit of consensual hanky-panky, but another thing entirely to start sleeping with somebody's wife or husband and being a home-wrecker.  In that sense, even less graphic things like flirting with or kissing a married person would be considered adultery, while two people dating getting intimate would not be.  Adultery becomes a crime because it goes against the implied "contract" of marraige, which entails a set of expectations of conduct and fidelity, and the stability of the family.  

So in the IC, in-game sense of the legal system, I would think that sleeping with somebody's wife would be illegal according to the law of the land, whereas that which goes on in the Temple of Xeen between unmarried persons stays within the Temple of Xeen, and the Justicars probably would not be making any arrests of those whacky teenagers making out behind the barn.  

On that note, while graphic sexual RP is disallowed via server rules, it is not to say that two persons can never be involved in baby-making via leaving things up to the imagination.  You could have a couple kissing in public, sweet-talking and walking off to an inn-room, just not actually RPing what would be going on in said inn-room.  This is important, because it's not like we have the resources to track and ID every single player here to make sure they're legal or not, and there are some GMs that are under-age who might stumble in on some pretty ackward moments.  The FBI has enough things on their plate as it is.  

SO while you can have intimacy and a mature relationship, there really is no need for an x-rated relationship or cyber-sex.  Besides, all of our parents would probably be very saddened if they found out we were involved in D&D digital cybersex on Friday nights no matter what our ages are... "jeeez, go to a bar an MEET some *real* girls, son!"  So you see, the rule against ingame cybering is really for all of our own benefit... urging us to fulfill our physical passions in a healthy manner... in real life... without d20s... or orcs.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 11:57:59 pm »
"jeeez, go to a bar an MEET some *real* girls, son!"

that has to be one of my favorite line i ever saw on this forum. Funny but to the point.

I also agree with his interpretation of what the adultery would be considered on layo.

Chazzler

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 01:40:38 am »
'But I like orcs, they're burly and smell good'

Nah, just kidding. A good rule it is, especially since there are many juvenile players here.

Masterjack

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 06:22:59 am »
*shakes head* I only asked for an official definition from an official source. I'm not looking to break any server rules. I'm siding with lonnarin's definition personally. I would like to see something official though. I also can see different churches looking at it differently.

Chazzler

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 07:00:46 am »
I have to side with Lonnarin's definition of adultery and cybering on Layo, it's a no-no.

Xirion

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 07:31:00 am »
I cant give you an offical definetion either, but I think that what Lonnarin and Chazzler allready pointed out is totaly right. There are some...er... chatrooms in the net for that I guess. I think being a bit reasonable should be enough to avoid breaking the rules...

... While writing another question comes to my mind, how can I get a baby, just out of intrest? Neither has Eander a girlfriend nor a flirt, so it is really, just because I want to now ;)

Dorganath

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 08:09:26 am »
The definition of Adultery only matters to agents of law or churches that are concerned with such things (Rofirein and Toran, for different reasons). Lonnarin's definition is pretty good, so let's go with that. Different faiths wouldn't necessarily define it differently, but then they also may not care much either.  How it's defined isn't really dependent upon faith.  It's more a legal issue than anything...Toranites would also argue it's a moral issue, of course.

Incidentally, regardless of your own character's faith, beliefs, etc (or lack thereof), he/she can still be charged with Adultery if the spouse of whomever presses charges.

Polak76

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 03:52:54 am »
Quote from: lonnarin
In terms of when it's an IC and in-game "crime", I always considered adultery to be more akin to breaking the sanctity of an established marraige vs. having pre-marital relations.  It's one thing to be dating somebody and delve into a little bit of consensual hanky-panky, but another thing entirely to start sleeping with somebody's wife or husband and being a home-wrecker.  In that sense, even less graphic things like flirting with or kissing a married person would be considered adultery, while two people dating getting intimate would not be.  Adultery becomes a crime because it goes against the implied "contract" of marraige, which entails a set of expectations of conduct and fidelity, and the stability of the family.  

So in the IC, in-game sense of the legal system, I would think that sleeping with somebody's wife would be illegal according to the law of the land, whereas that which goes on in the Temple of Xeen between unmarried persons stays within the Temple of Xeen, and the Justicars probably would not be making any arrests of those whacky teenagers making out behind the barn.  

On that note, while graphic sexual RP is disallowed via server rules, it is not to say that two persons can never be involved in baby-making via leaving things up to the imagination.  You could have a couple kissing in public, sweet-talking and walking off to an inn-room, just not actually RPing what would be going on in said inn-room.  This is important, because it's not like we have the resources to track and ID every single player here to make sure they're legal or not, and there are some GMs that are under-age who might stumble in on some pretty ackward moments.  The FBI has enough things on their plate as it is.  

SO while you can have intimacy and a mature relationship, there really is no need for an x-rated relationship or cyber-sex.  Besides, all of our parents would probably be very saddened if they found out we were involved in D&D digital cybersex on Friday nights no matter what our ages are... "jeeez, go to a bar an MEET some *real* girls, son!"  So you see, the rule against ingame cybering is really for all of our own benefit... urging us to fulfill our physical passions in a healthy manner... in real life... without d20s... or orcs.

God you wouldn't want to see what I get up to on another NWN2 adult server.  Then again most of you might!

anything