The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Age of Maturity and Races  (Read 165 times)

stragen

Age of Maturity and Races
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:06:09 am »
The age of maturity for the various races is given on Lore [LORE]http://lore.layonara.com/Races%20of%20Layonara[/LORE]

In particular
Humans mature around 18
Half-Elves mature around 20
Elves mature around 110

With the current character rules, 'around' means the minimum age for a new character.

At what age would a 3/4 elf (an elf with a single human grand-parent) come into maturity?    Using a linear fit gives an age of maturity for a 3/4-Elf of around 65 yrs.  To me it appears to be an exponential fit in terms of age of maturity.  Using an exponential fit would result in a much earlier age of maturity.

There is no such thing a 3/4 elf mechanically.  They are either a half-elf or an elf.  So does it simply matter which racial temple is used, half-elf or elf?  

Cheers,

Stragen

Rowana

Re: Age of Maturity and Races
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 01:39:10 am »
It's also a bit moot now that mixed races are unable to procreate. However, based on what has been said before, I would go with the same as a Half elf because elf blood does not get stronger with the addition of more elf lineage. This is referenced by other threads of similar topics, but not really to pull them up for you just now.

As always I defer to the loremaster, but this would be my educated guess on the matter.
~row

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:18:37 am »
It's been stated in the past that anything less than a full elf is a half-elf, for all intents and purposes, until you get down to something that's just straight human.

Gulnyr

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:39:44 pm »
There wouldn't necessarily be any pattern or curve, since genetics isn't any sort of pure mathematics.

This is just my imagination running and nothing official to Layonara, but imagine that Elf genes are laid back and easy going and Human genes are anxious and aggressive.  The Elf genes have a lot more time to get things done, after all.  There will be some areas where the Elf genes dominate, and some where the Human genes dominate, and others where they even out and compromise.  Rate of maturity just happens to be an area where Human genes win hands down, since the age of Human maturity is only slightly less than that of Half Elf maturity; the Elf genes barely make themselves known in that department.

Anyway, this link points to one of those Half Elf threads, though I'm not sure if it talks about rate of maturity anywhere.

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:47:06 pm »
Quote from: Rowana
It's also a bit moot now that mixed races are unable to procreate. However, based on what has been said before, I would go with the same as a Half elf because elf blood does not get stronger with the addition of more elf lineage. This is referenced by other threads of similar topics, but not really to pull them up for you just now.

As always I defer to the loremaster, but this would be my educated guess on the matter.
~row

I concur :)

anything