The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Alright. Huston we have a problem  (Read 401 times)

Primalfear

• Followers of Prunilla
    • View Profile
Alright. Huston we have a problem
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:03:33 pm »
My second brother who had his char approved recently (Guillaume) is having some major issues right now.

He has windows vista, and yes the game is running fine (under administrator status). He has installed all the hacks and the patch also. So that is fine.

When ever he tries to connect to the server, it says that he is missing the tlk file. I have guided him through the whole installation process, and have double checked with him today where the file was, and how the folder was named. We even renamed the folder to the proper tlk name. It was the right name in the first place, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Even with the right file in the right folder in the path which is C:"\\"NeverwinterNights\\NWN\\tlk   *** without the " it makes the usual smiley

The server still asks him for the tlk file. I have given him my tlk file to make sure he had the right one, and he is still getting this error. I am about to go to his house and use some c4 on his vista computer... >:/  so please! someone help us. We just spend 6 hours on this without any success.

Dorganath

Re: Alright. Huston we have a problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:38:29 pm »
The usual mistake is that the TLK file doesn't get un-RARed in the \\tlk subfolder. Did you check that it's been unpacked from the archive?

Primalfear

• Followers of Prunilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:40:46 pm »
It was the one I sent him was the un-rared version of the file.

orth

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:04:00 pm »
Just to clarify, the message he is getting is:

Could not load the Module.
Missing required custom talk table.
"layonara_v21.tlk"

?

orth

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:09:42 pm »
Also was this a fresh installation?  He's never had it installed before somewhere else?  He didn't just move the directory after installation or anything like that?  Windows may be having a problem with a registry issue if that's the case.

I read this thread over at Avlis as well, if you scroll to the bottom you'll see what the guy discovered with his issue.

Primalfear

• Followers of Prunilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:48:28 pm »
that is the correct message.

It was a totally fresh install. Had just bought the game for him that day when he installed it. All he did was to take the rare files for the hacks, portraits, tlk, music, etc I had done for him from my own files and I handed him over a dvd . Un-rar (uncompress to "name of the folder" them then copy them into the NWN root folder. Same as I did with my other brother (Phobos) who has no trouble playing on the server.

Basically I gave him a copy of all my folders that are containing the layonara stuff needed to play on the server. It worked with my other brother, but for him.. it doesn't. Both uses Vista's also.

orth

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »
Have you been trying the same tlk all this time, perhaps download a fresh one from here and give it a try?  Sorry, running out of ideas on what it could be.

Spike

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 09:37:37 pm »
I had a similar problem when I moved to vista. For me it was because the files were being placed in the wrong folder. Basically when you look at the window in question (C/program files/games/neverwinter nights or whatever) there is a bar above the files reading "Organize, Views, Burn", etc. and then "Compatibility files". When I clicked on that if offered essentially the same list of files. I then had to go into the hak and tlk files, cut, go back to the previous page and paste them in the corresponding original files.

By the way I am rubbish at computers so it could be that mine is set up in a really weird way, but its worth a shot ;) .

Primalfear

• Followers of Prunilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:30:26 pm »
Quote from: orth
Have you been trying the same tlk all this time, perhaps download a fresh one from here and give it a try?  Sorry, running out of ideas on what it could be.

we've tried a new set earlier today, up until i decided to give him mine again. Nothing worked.

@spike...err what?? sorry I have no clue of what you just said, I don't use vista at all.

Spike

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:26:18 am »
Yeah not that good at explaining things. Heres some pictures taken with a dodgy camera phone. The first is the file where my nwn stuff is. I then had to click on "Compatibility files" that took me to the second file (second picture) and do the cut and paste thing on the hak and tlk files back to the original (first picture).

Fidzy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 08:43:58 am »
I have found, on my own Vista computer, that to avoid NWN from quitting (stops and closes) I had to add "Disable Intro Movies=1" int the NWN.ini file.

I am now able to connect and play on the server.

Maybe will I have to add "Disable Movies=1" (to disable all movies).  I do not know yet.

I have not been able to check on my brother's (Guillaume) compu yet.

Stay tune.

Addition:
Please note I use NWN 1.69 version.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 10:17:49 am »
Quote from: Fidzy
Addition:
Please note I use NWN 1.69 version.

You have to use that version to play here anyway  ;)