The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ask the Loremaster: Boyer Kingdom (Dregar)  (Read 313 times)

EdTheKet

Ask the Loremaster: Boyer Kingdom (Dregar)
« on: August 28, 2009, 02:30:58 pm »
LORE: Boyer Kingdom excerpt was posted.

The following users thanked this post: lonnarin, SteveMaurer

lonnarin

Re: Ask the Loremaster: Boyer Kingdom (Dregar)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:03:14 pm »
Keep it up, Ed!  Always look forward to your LORE updates, and these should be very useful for new players trying to piece together a biography.

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »
Thanks.
It's also useful for those who've been here for a while to see what the realms are like.

Gulnyr

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »
Is the size right on the Boyer Kingdom?  Going by the map, 800 statute miles checks out as a good approximation east-west, though 450 statute miles seems a closer match for the largest north-south measure and 250 for the shortest.  The real question is on the total area, though, since 2573 square statute miles (roughly 23000 square miles) is smaller than West Virginia or Bulgaria (roughly 24000 square miles each).

Edit: And now that I'm not interrupted by the real world...  It just seems a few zeroes were dropped.  Taking 800 as the average width and 300 as the average height, the area would come out to roughly 240000 square statute miles.  That's close enough to 2573*100, so it just seems like a typo.

Pseudonym

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:23:49 am »
Hey Eduardo!

Two questions.

First, the quests that have taken place in the Boyer Kingdom that I have attended (and I am talking major ones - WLDQs versus fluff piece stand-alones) have involved, to a large degree, greed, bribery, corruption, assassinations and deviltry in the political arena ... however this is not mentioned in the summary. The summary, IMO, makes the kingdom sound quite ordered and orderly, the Burgors kept on a tight leash by their Burgomeisters who, in turn, are accountable to a just (and attentive) High Boyer. Are my IC experiences of the place being a hotbed of corruption and double dealings an anomaly to the norm?

Second question. I suppose this is a question about the Kingdom write-ups moreso than the summaries and the write-ups generally as opposed to a specific question about the Boyer Kingdom.

One of the things that attracted me to Layonara and, I think, one of our real selling points to potential new players is the ongoing effect characters can have on events and places in the world. In the summaries thus far posted, I can only find a single reference to a player character (being Brisbane the High Druidess of Tilmar). 21 current World Leaders but (as yet) not one of them is mentioned in any kingdom summary as having achieved something noteworthy?

What do you think?

Best regards,
Pseudo

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:38 am »
I'm missing the Runic Anvil in there... ;)

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:02:50 am »
@ Gulnyr: you're right in there missing a few zeroes. I'll have to check the sizes of all other realms as well.

@ Pseudo.

1) There's a few things going on with these excerpts. They were all written 2 years ago or so, so events like Essrantor's Veil are not included yet.
In addition, the Boyer does give his nobles some leeway, please note "He gives the regional nobles a good deal of autonomy to interpret the laws, but if someone goes too far from the general view he is quick to step in and displace the deviant" There is definitely room for "politics" there.
To call it a hotbed rife with corruption is too much though.

2)Regarding World Leaders, you're right, Brisbane is the first to appear in a realm summary. Most WLDQs have not dealt with things of a political/realm nature, so that's mostly the reason.
She's not the first to be mentioned in the full texts though. E.g. Quantum is in the Shining Hand text, Michaelis Draego will feature in the Huangjin text, Kobal will feature in the Runic Anvil, Connor in a part of Mistone.
But there are also WLs whose stories don't easily transcribe into a city/town/church/sect description because while their acts may have had a significant effect on the world, the effect may not be publicly known.
E.g. Rufus' taking control of a bloodpool, Brac'ar's retrieval of the Rhn Zharr tome, Triba's theft of something, just to name a few.

And then there is of course the fact that some WLs left after completing their WLDQ and at that moment our copyright policy wasn't in place yet. So not running any risks there and trying to avoid mentioning those characters in any write ups. A shame, yes, but not much we can do about it.

Hope that clarifies!

EdTheKet

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »
LORE: Boyer's Fort has been posted.