The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ask the Loremaster: Dorand  (Read 422 times)

EdTheKet

Ask the Loremaster: Dorand
« on: May 31, 2009, 04:42:14 pm »
LORE: Dorand is posted.

Vorax changed to Allied, Mist to Unfriendly.

The following users thanked this post: lonnarin

EdTheKet

Re: Ask the Loremaster: Dorand
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:04:10 am »
LORE: Dorand's Temples has been posted.

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »
All of LORE: Dorand is now posted, access it through the links on Dorand's main page.

EdTheKet

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:41:06 am »
LORE: Dorand now has a picture of Lord Forge.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:28:10 pm »
My character, Gilshem Ironstone, has been a member of Dorand's church since before the most recent lore changes.  Prior to the change all clerics were called "Hammers", however now that is quite a high rank and seems inappropriate to Gilshem's stature.  I was wondering if you could tell me what rank (if any) he would hold.

If it helps, Gilshem has made some donations, in the form of items he has crafted, which he likely would have submitted at a Tempering.  I have receipts of these donations which I can look up at your request.

Thanks for your time!

Gilshem (the handle not the character ;))

EdTheKet

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:19:44 pm »
As mentioned, it's a good question. There may be other people who might have this question so I'll give it some thought.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »
Just a friendly bump so that other players can respond if they are interested in their ranking as well.

EdTheKet

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 07:04:48 am »
Thanks for the reminder :)

I brought it up as a discussion point on the GM forums and discussed the pros and cons for granting this requests of rank, as well as the greater picture on whether or not we should allow this in principle.

The short of it is that Gilshem the character would be an Acolyte of the Hammer, so the lowest rank of the clergy.

The longer answer and reasoning is as follows.

The "new" Dorand lore has been around since first half of 2010, so quite a while. The old lore, while not having as clear of a hierarchy, mentioned that it spanned from Acolyte to High Hammer.

Since we always say that character development is the responsibility of the player, any increases for rank would then have to be through CDQs, which could then have happened since last year.

Another principle is that character level doesn't equate or translate into rank in a church or organization.

You could of course build a case like you did on how a character could potentially qualify for a higher rank. However, if we allow that, then we would have to go down a route of allowing this for anyone and the GM team having to review and determine for each request whether or not a higher rank would be reasonable. This would have some subjectiveness in it depending on the amount of "proof" a player would be able to provide.

So based on those two reasons, Gilshem the character would be an Acolyte. You are of course completely free to pursue CDQs to increase his rank, and since clergy progression in the church of Dorand is based a lot on crafting, he should be able to progress to Apprentice and Journeyman quite rapidly.

If you have any questions, just let us know.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:50:44 am »
That makes complete sense. I had not really encountered the situation before. I really just wanted to know so that when I request a CDQ (or likely a GCDQ) for a Tempering, I know where to start from.

Thanks for the clarification!