The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Bard CHA and spells  (Read 292 times)

HooD!uM

Bard CHA and spells
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »
ok this is what it says in LORE

Must have a Charisma score of 10+ the spells level to cast a spell.

why then cant T'orroc who has 18 Cha cast 4th lvl spells? if i raise it to 19 he can but 18 he cant? Also Rhydell who is a tiefling who gets a -2 to CHA can only cast 1st lvl spells where his CHA after mod is 13?

darkstorme

Re: Bard CHA and spells
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »
I would suggest that this is because at level 10 (T'orroc's level), Bards get 0 level 4 spells/day, despite having access to the spell list.

T'orroc's natural CHA is 17, so on login he would lose his level 4 spellslot, and not regain it until he slept with his items on.

Likewise, Rhydell, as a 4th-level bard, gets 0 level 2 spells/day.  In order to have a bonus spell in that slot, he would have to have a CHA (after modifier) of at least 14.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »
T'orroc's base (otherwise known as raw, or "white") charisma is 17. You are probably counting a CHA boosting item, such as a nymph cloak. Rhydell has only 4 bard levels, because he is multiclassed...

(darkstorme ninja'ed AND included the note about resting ;))

HooD!uM

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:50:03 pm »
oh right now i see...bleh..hehe i never played bards before so meh , thanks guys..oh and miss :P

P.S i just thought that having extra CHA would cancel that out becuase i was thinking that to cast lvl 4 bards spells i would need 14 CHA..and having 17 would at least give me that spell

darkstorme

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:12:35 pm »
Nope - Bards operate the same as Sorcerers.  You get the Base Spells Per Day, and then you can get Bonus Spells if your CHA is sufficiently high.

Note, however, that if the BSPD entry is a "-", it doesn't matter what your CHA is - you can't cast spells from that level.  The only circumstance where a high enough CHA score can provide you with early spells is when the entry in the BSPD table is a 0.