The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Children of mixed subraces  (Read 319 times)

Frances

Children of mixed subraces
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:53:08 pm »
Say a regular (lightfoot?) halfling had a child with a strongheart halfling.  Would this child be a lightfoot halfling, or a strongheart halfling?  

I'm assuming they're not so incompatible (like elves and humans are now) that they can't even have children... but if so, my question still stands as said child would have been born before the loss of Aeridin's blessing.

As long as we're answering this question, as an academic interest, what would the result be in general for all the halfling, elf, and dwarf subraces?

The following users thanked this post: Filatus

EdTheKet

Re: Children of mixed subraces
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:03:39 pm »
They would be able to have children, sure. They'd default to the standard race and that'd apply for all races.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:25:42 pm »
Alright, now...  Does this Transfer over to Humans and Assimar Tieflings...

I KNOW I saw somewhere talk about old Half Elves and Elves/Humans "making" "full" Elf/Human children, so why wouldn't, as Frances should before, the subraces be able to breed?  In essence, Celestial/Infernal Blood in those subraces is minute (1/8th is DnD Normal) and would easily be diluted to no real effect (beyond maybe physical) after that.  So?  A Verdict please?  And I am willing to further my point with some evidence...  :)

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:32:13 pm »
Tieflings and Aasimar are infertile.  These subraces result from even a minute fraction of the blood from the Pits, so pervasive is the heritage... so just as half-elves can no longer breed with either elves or humans (or half-elves), Tieflings and Aasimar can no longer breed with straight humans.

(Also, Half-elf + elf, in Layonara != elf.)

Weeblie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:32:21 pm »
I think...

If the character was created with the half-templates (Aasimar, Tiefling, Half-Orc, Half-Elf, etc), then it's a certain "no" to having children as that means the blood is still too strong.

For character who has yet no decided what template to use or the character who have some stain in their blood, but still so very little that it becomes justified to have been using a "normal" race template... an open question for Ed? :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:33:43 pm »
Assimar is not a "Half"  anything, remember that.

Tiefling/Assimar - HyperText D20

Weeblie

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 03:34:09 pm »
Half-Celestial... or... "part"-Celestial, actually. :p

But still enough that it "matters".

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:35:53 pm »
Oh, but a 3/4 human 1/4 elf is Okay to make babies?

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:39:17 pm »
Takes RIGHT off the Lore Page for Aasimar

"Proud, fair skinned and tall, the Aasimar are a race with a somewhat curious background. One of the two races that are known to be Planetouched, the others being the Tieflings, Aasimar are native to planes of law and order. They have holy blood somewhere in their ancestry, but should not be confused with half-celestials, as the celestial heritage is far back in the playable character's ancestry (at least 1/8th). While some claim to have descended directly from the Gods, it is more likely that one of their ancestors was a Celestial, and not a God. However, most of them cannot trace their heritage back to a specific celestial being."

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 03:50:39 pm »
Quote from: darkstorme
Tieflings and Aasimar are infertile.  These subraces result from even a minute fraction of the blood from the Pits, so pervasive is the heritage... so just as half-elves can no longer breed with either elves or humans (or half-elves), Tieflings and Aasimar can no longer breed with straight humans.

(Also, Half-elf + elf, in Layonara != elf.)

You say a creature, with a FACTION of the blood in them, can't have a baby, but your Three Fouths Elf, one fourth human, which  (Also, Half-elf + elf, in Layonara != elf.) That is! can?  >.>  I think I've said this one about some other things, but thats ridiculous...

Weeblie

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 03:55:28 pm »
The mixed subraces rule is covering Aasimars too, no matter that they aren't true "half-beings". There are divine powers preventing (or rather, no longer allowing) those with unpure blood to come in being, which means that those of unpure blood are not able to give birth either. The only question is, how unpure must the blood be before it's no longer considered unpure.

A partial answer to that question was as I mentioned earlier: If the character is using a mixed-blood race/subrace, then he or she is clearly of unpure blood. Otherwise, answer from Ed should probably be waited for.

Edit: Excellent for have dug that post up!

Gulnyr

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:57:19 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Oh, but a 3/4 human 1/4 elf is Okay to make babies?

In [post=684632]this post[/post] by Ed, he clearly states that the children of a Half Elf and a Human (3/4 Humans) are all sterile.  He also adds that Aasimar and Tieflings are sterile.  No mixed-race character can procreate anymore.

Also, the symbol "!=" means "does not equal."  "Half Elf plus Elf does not equal Elf."

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 03:58:26 pm »
OHHHH!

See, now it's not only fair but makes sense...

Dorganath

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »
Let's make it simple.  If there's any racial/species mix in the blood, said individuals cannot breed after 1420.  Doesn't mater if they're 1/400th Elf or 1/800th celestial...Aeridin put his foot down.

However, if the primary racial type remains intact, for example be they a mix of elf types of halfling types, this is OK, as they're still elves or halflings.