The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Concerning Parry  (Read 188 times)

Seven of hearts

• View Profile
    Concerning Parry
    « on: July 07, 2007, 08:15:16 am »
    I am a new player and I know in NWN, that there is a glitch with parry that continues to stack the negative deduction to your attack bonus if you parry more attacks in a round than you have. I was wondering if that was fixed somehow on this server.

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Concerning Parry
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 11:02:29 am »
    Good question. I have no idea. I only know one person in this entire world that makes significant use of parry.

Marswipp

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:35:05 am »
    Shalt now the Duelist(s) speak?
    Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Seven of hearts

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 11:41:47 am »
      With the bug still implemented, Parry is much more useless.

For example, under normal NWN circumstances, you get -3 to your parry check for every attack that you can not match. So if you are being attacked 8 times per round, and you only have 4 attacks. The 5th attack is at -3 to your parry, the 6th -6, 7th -9 and 8th at -12 to your parry checks.

The only problem with this is, that NWN forgets to reset these numbers. So in the second round of being attacked 8 times per round, you would be at -12 to your parry checks for the first 4 attacks rather than your normal modifier. Then at the 5th attck it would be -15, then -18 etc etc. I was just curious as I saw the duelist class was added here, which is an amazing class if parry works how it should.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:56:14 am »
      Actually, the duelists I know don't use parry, heh. I know a monk that uses it. And he has enough attacks that I doubt he has too much of a problem.

akata

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 06:22:39 pm »
      parry is a nice skill but slightly bugged , you cant parry more attacks then your character have, meaning as a duelist you can get it trouble because, no of hand weapon. On top of that there seem to be a problem with the second attack, just like if you kd you wont get sneak attack till your third attack. Then you dont parry the second attack

~Akata

Yllyrryon

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 06:47:23 pm »
      Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
      Actually, the duelists I know don't use parry, heh. I know a monk that uses it. And he has enough attacks that I doubt he has too much of a problem.
      [/FONT]

And my character is that monk. ;)

Notwithstanding the bug, it works wonderfully for him. He has a high number of attacks per round. The number of times he parries never exceeds his attacks per round because of his high AC; add to the high AC his 50% concealment from the empty body feat monks gain at level 18.

If a caster hastes you, that increases your attacks per round, further alleviating the parry bug.

If you are travelling with a well balanced group the bug is never a problem. Your groups caster hastes all of you. With a high parry skill level your character effectively becomes the shield for the group; then the other front liners take out the enemies. Furthermore, my monk does a great amount of damage on average with his riposte strikes, helping to kill enemies a lot faster.

Feel free to pm me or post further on this thread if you have any more questions for me. :)

anything