The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Dark Elves  (Read 2229 times)

Interia_Discordius

Dark Elves
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:21:08 pm »
What's the view on these guys? I assumed they were hated, wretched creatures on the surface, but I see a lot of tolerance for them from others.

On that note, where do giants, trolls, orcs, and other humanoid races stand with the common people? What about kobolds and goblins?

EdTheKet

Re: Dark Elves
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:33:04 pm »
Dark elves:

Hate them, kill on sight ask questions later, they're evil, bad, don't trust them, "they killed my family in Hlint/Port Hempstead/Spellgard with their raid", evil incarnate, steal your children, burn your crops, rape your wives, kill your husbands, use your children in dark rituals, poison you, backstab you, hate you, and so on.

where do giants, trolls, orcs, and other humanoid races stand with the common people? What about kobolds and goblins?
These all scare the hell out of them.

Oh, and "Surely there's lots of good dark elves" is not true. There are MILLIONS of evil dark elves and people know it. They've conducted tons of raids and sieges over the centuries, their religion tells them to rule over all, so a handfull of Az'attans and some adventurers are not going to change the general populace's opinion.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:36:18 pm »
Funny how many "good" people like dark elves these days...

*gets his hunting crossbow and goes looking for Sion and Ni'Haer(?)*

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:40:43 pm »
Righto. Thanks. I just needed to know how a typical Llane would think of people who protect dark elves and the like as well as the races themselves.

Muchos appreciated!

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:43:05 pm »
Quote from: Interia_Discordius
I just needed to know how a typical Llane would think of people who protect dark elves

Traitors to their kind, collaborators, fiends, murderers, .

Link092

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:46:25 pm »
actually, Shiff, I was expecting WAY more hostility, and it never happened, so I rolled with it. I'm thinking of moving Sion to an evil alignment later, rather than CN after his 10th lvl... but the hunting would definitely be enjoyed... :)

Thanks to all of those who tried hunting/killing/eradicating/insulting sion. :)

Link092

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 04:47:42 pm »
Quote from: Interia_Discordius
Righto. Thanks. I just needed to know how a typical Llane would think of people who protect dark elves and the like as well as the races themselves.

Muchos appreciated!

and most likely, you would take that smarminess of hers and times it by ten................ thousand

Link092

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:25 pm »
and another thought of mine came to be...  I realize that Hektor never got the nasty treatment I would expect either.... I was hoping for someone to run by and give the whole "Hulk smash!" sermon about him, and why he should be ran off/killed....

Alatriel

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:25 pm »
Every time my characters act with hostility towards dark elves they get shunned or told how wrong it is to think badly of dark elves.  Sion is only proving Daniella right, not changing her opinion.

Link092

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 04:51:02 pm »
Quote from: Alatriel
Every time my characters act with hostility towards dark elves they get shunned or told how wrong it is to think badly of dark elves.  Sion is only proving her right, not changing her opinion.

glad to help. :)

EDITING because I don't wish to make another post....:

You know, there is another thread about this here.

EdTheKet

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 04:58:25 pm »
I will just quote myself

Quote from: EdTheKet

The "average Hlintian" considers them evil.

Dark Elves are known to be evil, this is not speculation, this is a fact:

The Dark Elves have a millennia spanning history of War and Destruction. Bear in mind that there was a great Betrayal around -2311 which led the elves to separate (see the timeline). Agreed, this is almost 3700 years ago, but since elves can live to about 700 years, this is hardly long ago from an elvish perspective. So throwing the past away because it is long ago and elves and dark elves hating each other is stereotypical, does not really apply if you look at it from this perspective.

If we go forward in time, the Dark Elves captured the human city of Westgate in the year -103 (see the timeline), they destroyed the city of Port Hampshire in the year 843 (see the timeline, this is only about 500 years ago). I am sure if you ask several characters in Hlint, they can tell you the towns of Hlint and Haven were also nearly destroyed by the Dark Elves in the not-too-distant past. They also tried to stop all crafting by destroying and blowing up nearly every crafting location in Mistone.

Then at the end of last year or so (real-time) they laid siege to Hlint and nearly occupied it.

Then more recently, they started capturing people, poisoning them with a poison that will kill them if they oppose the drow. They then proceeded to lay siege to Spellgard, occupy it for a few weeks, then left after getting whatever it was they needed.

Therefore, treating them with an amount of distrust or even hostility is judging them on their past which is filled with evil deeds.

Claiming your character doesn't know about drow is very hard to justify. Dark Elves have been committing evil acts for millennia. This will have worked their way into local folklore, for example, when your character was a child he was probably told by his parents things like “Do not stray from home too far, else the Dark elves will take you” or something along those lines.

So your character has probably heard all his/her life that Dark Elves are greedy, dangerous, treacherous creatures who attack whenever they can and then as an adventurer you have surely been on quests where Dark Elves were involved (as enemies) or heard stories of such adventures.

Forgive the use of old names :)

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:59 pm »
Every time my characters act with hostility towards dark elves they get shunned or told how wrong it is to think badly of dark elves.  Sion is only proving Daniella right, not changing her opinion.

By PCs I take it. Something to consider: every time she shuns a dark elf, she gets support from all the non-displayed-in-game commoners and other folk close to her (including clergy NPC!) that they are evil and she is right in her shunning and hostility.

Link092

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 05:01:58 pm »
and little angry halflings that happen to be part of the Toran clergy. *nods sagely, and presents Lyr*

minerva

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 05:04:35 pm »
Too rich that Daniella and Sophia actually agree on something !

Link092

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 05:08:59 pm »
Quote from: minerva
Too rich that Daniella and Sophia actually agree on something !

the angry halfling? or the dark elf?

Xiaobeibi

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »

Yep too true.

Most treat darkelves as a kind of misunderstood black elves suffering from prejudice. Not like a homicidal, evil, enslaving, torturing etc... people who has killed and looted their way across the millenia

Link092

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 05:18:27 pm »
Quote from: xiaobeibi
Yep too true.

Most treat darkelves as a kind of misunderstood black elves suffering from prejudice. Not like a homicidal, evil, enslaving, torturing etc... people wheo has killed and looted their way across the millenia

ya... I'm trying to get Ni'hear in trouble with the toranites now.... *shifty eyes*

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 05:20:42 pm »
Don't have to.  Tyra already has plans  ;)

geloooo

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 05:21:07 pm »
Quote from: Link092
ya... I'm trying to get Ni'hear in trouble with the toranites now.... *shifty eyes*

Let's see how far you'll get me in trouble. ;)

Link092

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 05:21:37 pm »
do it! do it! do it! *chants*