The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Deciding to multiclass  (Read 1261 times)

WarriorOfTheLance

Deciding to multiclass
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:58 pm »
I am currently playing a 9th level wizard, and i've decided I would like to multiclass to either fighter or ranger and Arcane Archer in the long run.

the question is should i take fighter or ranger
my stats are

str 12
dex 17
con 14
int 19
wis 8
cha 8

with the creature skin for gray elf
my bab is 4

I would prefer to take Ranger as my second class, but i hear my wisdom is lacking for that... though i could put more points into wisdom at a later date and still be well built i think...

any game masters advice would be appreciated.

Warrior Of The Lance

Falonthas

Re: Deciding to multiclass
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:48:06 pm »
if it was me i would take a finesse based fighter, with your high dexterity, means you could increase your skills with the bow and handle light weapons well in a fight

like errol flynn in robin hood, kicked butt with his bow, but could still mess you up with his blade as well in close quarters

and you could even specialize it if you had the desire for whatever blade you chose to use, but light weapons and finesse use dex instead of str for modifiers

Masterjack

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:35:52 pm »
I would agree with Falonthas and take fighter instead of ranger. Mainly due to fighters having a higher BaB then rangers. Believe me you will need a higher BaB for your Arcane Archer when you reach higher levels.

The other thing to look at is, you only get one bonus ability point per every 4 levels. You would be level 16 before you could take ranger. Then you could not take it because Layo requires that you have at least 5 levels in every class once you hit level 20. You would only have 16 wizard and 4 ranger at level 20. So I guess it is fighter now or wait till level 20 and take ranger.

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:47:07 pm »
Mmmm, Fighter and ranger have the same BAB. I still agree with you, but more on a feats basis. Despite the image, Ranger doesn't really get anything that helps them with using a bow, whereas fighter can take the feats that will help you in the long run.

s0ulz

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49:15 pm »
Quote from: Masterjack
I would agree with Falonthas and take fighter instead of ranger. Mainly due to fighters having a higher BaB then rangers. Believe me you will need a higher BaB for your Arcane Archer when you reach higher levels.

The other thing to look at is, you only get one bonus ability point per every 4 levels. You would be level 16 before you could take ranger. Then you could not take it because Layo requires that you have at least 5 levels in every class once you hit level 20. You would only have 16 wizard and 4 ranger at level 20. So I guess it is fighter now or wait till level 20 and take ranger.

I'll correct this: both ranger and fighter classes get full BAB of 1/lvl. This isn't a problem. Secondly, wisdom of 10 isn't a requirement of taking Ranger levels, it's a requirement for casting ranger spells.

Build wise, fighter is the safer bet. Full BAB with two extra feats. RP-wise, depends on your character. Ranger will be odd to write in for some character types.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49:46 pm »
Fighters do NOT have a higher BAB than Rangers! Both are primary combatants, with High BAB Progression, at 1:1 for class levels.

In this case, I think Fighter would be the better choice. Not only can you specialize in your bow with Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization more easily due to the bonus feats a Fighter gets, the 3.0 Ranger is primarily a melee combatant, receiving Dual-Wield for free, but not getting any bonuses for ranged combat.

The Fighter's skill points are abominably few, but then, the Ranger's aren't much better.

Completely forego any attention to melee combat - just get Point Blank Shot if you don't have it already.

I'm not actually sure why you would consider taking only a few levels in Ranger - taking a greater number might help you, getting Divine spells as well as Arcane (albeit cast as Arcane), but only five or so levels will be fairly useless, particularly considering that you're going for Arcane Archer (a ranged class).

Fighter all the way.

Weeblie

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:59:43 pm »
Ironically, due to rangers having access to their own array of spells (like Ranger's Valor which stacks with all other AB spells)... they actually have a higher AB than fighters. ;)

s0ulz

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:01:21 pm »
Quote from: Weeblie
Ironically, due to rangers having access to their own array of spells (like Ranger's Valor which stacks with all other AB spells)... they actually have a higher AB than fighters. ;)

We were talking about Base Attack Bonus Weeblie. Pay attention! :P

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:14:56 pm »
And that's also at higher (5+) levels than we're considering here, as Rangers don't get spells of any real consequence for quite a while.

Let's also not forget that making use of the Ranger's primary low-level benefit, Dual-Wield, will give you AT LEAST a -2 on all attacks, in addition to being a melee-only feat (useless for an Arcane Archer, or close enough to it for these purposes).

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 04:37:38 pm »
Take 5 lvls fighter and 5 lvls Duelist. Put 1 extra point in Int and his base Int will give him +5 AC for being duelist :) whith his stats he will be a great dexfighter duelist wizard.. Duelists also have Full BAB and the fighter lvls you need to be able to get feats requirement for taking duelist lvls.. Just if this fits your character ofcourse.. ;)

WarriorOfTheLance

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:33:12 pm »
duelist eh?
ok should i take the 10th level of mage first? or switch over to fighter?

Pibemanden

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 05:39:34 pm »
Actually... I have a totally different qustion for you... That int you are giving is that how it appears with the skin? I am just wondering...

WarriorOfTheLance

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 06:02:49 pm »
the skin gives me +2 to int... so my int without the skin is 17
it also gives me +2 to con -2 to dex and -2 to str

Pibemanden

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 06:05:45 pm »
Then I would either suggest that you focus on the fighter levels a bit more sacrificing caster power before level 20 or start dumping stat points into int, the skin wont help you cast higher level spells so right not you are limited to level 7 and below because of a base int of 17...

WarriorOfTheLance

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 04:36:15 pm »
ok so i'm trying to figure this out...

I need these feats to become a duelist by 20
    * Dodge
    * Ambidexterity
    * Mobility
    * Weapon Focus: Rapier

and five points in persuade.

i've read lore and it says that fighters get a bonus feat and then the regular feats that every other class gets every 2 levels

so my question is
how many fighter levels do i need to take to get those 4 feats... i figure in 5 fighter levels i get 5 feats and this is how i figured it

i take level 1 fighter... 1 feat
level 2 - no feat
level 3 - 1 feat 1 bonus feat
level 4 - no feat
level 5 - 1 feat 1 bonus feat...

is this correct?

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 04:47:30 pm »
Fighter gets feats like this

lv 1 feat
lvl 2 feat
lvl 3 no feat
lvl 4 feat
lvl 5 no feat..

If going duelist i sugest starting to take fighter lvls at ones.. so you can have an 9/5/6 splitt.. this so you get presice strike 2 that are given to the lvl 6 duelist before he hits the speedbump at lvl 20.. One more point in Int and then all points in dex untill he is peic duelist and you might wanna take wizard lvls again.. then he need a few more points in Int.

Don't forget the feat weapon finesse

WarriorOfTheLance

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 06:34:56 pm »
I went to the level up server, and tried it both ways... if layo's feats work like standard nwn feats, either way i do it will give me 4 feats...

is the way a fighter gains feats in layo modified at all?

miasma_hemlock

• Druids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 08:41:22 pm »
I don't know anything about duelists, but it seems like 5 rogue would be a better choice if you were still going to be an arcane archer.

Sneak attacks with a long bow, tumble, evasion and all that...  Plus skills, lot of skills...

aragwen

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 05:00:36 am »
Fighters work in Layonara exactly like in standard NWN, which means you get a bonus feat every second fighter lvl.

So basically, you get a feat every third character lvl (which every one gets) and then a bonus feat for every second fighter lvl.

Something to consider is that humans get a bonus feat at lvl 1. So if you take human race you will get 2 feats at lvl 1.

So a human fighter (taking 6 fighter lvls) would be something like this:

lvl1 - 2 feats (normal character feat and bonus feat for human race)
 lvl2 - 1 feat (bonus fighter feat)
 lvl3 - 1 feat (normal character feat)
 lvl4 - 1 feat (bonus fighter feat)
 lvl5 - 0 feat
 lvl6 - 2 feats (normal character feat and bonus fighter)

Feat - NWNWiki - a Wikia wiki

Fianon

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 07:03:50 pm »
True, but Arcane Archer is a no-go for humans, Elf and Half-Elf only, right?

anything