The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Disappearing Bard Spells  (Read 355 times)

geloooo

Disappearing Bard Spells
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:29:52 pm »
Every time I log on, Pimpernell's bard spells disappear as if I've exhausted them. Is this normal? :(

osxmallard

Re: Disappearing Bard Spells
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:09:26 am »
No.  It is not normal...

I looked to see if maybe you had a special subrace which was kicking your CHA in a weird direction or applying a skin, and it looks like Pimp is just a plain halfling...  

Does it affect your bardsong slots also or just spells?

geloooo

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:19:24 am »
Just the spells. Bardsong remains the same. :(

Chongo

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:49:26 am »
Orth put it in years ago.  It's resistant to reincarnation.

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 03:35:46 am »
actually it is (bioware bug) if you have any jewelry of cha that you unequip and reequip, or cast eagle's on yourself. I had the same problem with Sil'via eagles necklace, that I was taking off for her shield necklace and then putting it back.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:16:54 am »
To expand on this, Bioware's implementation of CHA-based casters is buggy, meaning this can affect Sorcerers and Bards alike.  Removal of any items that grant a CHA bonus or the expiration of spells/effects that do the same (Ioun stones, for example) will cause a reduction in the number of spells one can cast that does not return once the item(s) or effect(s) are reinstated without resting, which of course makes temporary CHA buffs like Eagle's Splendor and Ioun stones far less useful for a CHA-based caster.  What's worse is that this effect is cumulative.  If you unequip and re-equip the same CHA ring, for example, the available spells for your CHA-based caster will eventually reduce to 0.  Fun, right?

Jewelry is usually fine if it remains equipped all the time. My own personal experience here is that login/logout goes just fine with CHA jewelry in its correct place. That said, my Sorcerer never takes off any of that jewelry because of this very issue. I am less certain about holdable items (i.e. weapons and "fashion accessories") because it seems that sometimes they may "equip" a little later in the login process and could cause this temporary loss of CHA. I don't have any direct empirical evidence of this, however.

lonnarin

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:54:10 am »
Agreed with Dorg.  Also be careful with bonus spell isntruments for bards.  If you remove any instruments that grant bonus spells, your spell total for that level drops by the the total number of bonus spells each time you unequip the instrument, and do not replenish until you rest again with the instrument equipped.

So worst case scenario, if your bard has 3 lvl 3 spells per day, he decided to play an instrument that grants him 3 bonus lvl 3 spells, and then puts it away when he's done?  He'll get stripped of all 3 of his lvl 3 spells that day, never having even cast them.  If he rests the next day with the instrument in his hands, he gets 3+3=6 spells that day, unless he unequips the instrument, in which case he gets stripped of 3 spells that day, no matter what his total is.

As mentioned above, unequipping cha gear can strip your spells as well.  SO for all natural arcane casters, it's imperative hat you keep your cha and spell granting gear equipped to ensure that the spells stick.

geloooo

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:52 am »
Ni'haer has only experienced the problem when using the spell Polymorph Self or Shapechange so he never uses those two spells.

Pimpernell has no items that boost his CHA. His CHA is 17 and it is beyond that of what is needed for him to cast 2nd circle spells. :(

Acacea

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:40 am »
Right, that's why it is not normal and why osx was looking for something that offered a CHA bonus that might explain. Eventual reduction due to equip/unequip is different from "exhausted completely on relog."

Is it completely all of them, down to cantrips? Or just skimming the top like the usual equipment deal?

geloooo

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 11:12:10 am »
All of them! Oddly enough, I've noticed that every now and then I get something on the logs that says Acquired Item: PC Properties. Doesn't that only happen when a character has a subrace skin?

Maybe Pimpernell's sunny personality is too much and Ni'haer is wresting control from my cute little halfer! D:

geloooo

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 12:01:10 pm »
Interesting note: I just crashed (as usual) and when I logged back on, Pimpernell's spells didn't get exhausted! Woohoo!

Hellblazer

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »
All of the stats gets mixed up with polymorph spells. meaning that you get a reductions to cha for all of the forms, except maybe pixie. This will in fact act the same way as removing and equiping cha jewelry.