The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Funeral Rites  (Read 326 times)

Aphel

Funeral Rites
« on: October 23, 2011, 06:35:02 am »
Greetings

After recent events in Llast, I wondered about the funeral rites of the Toranites. Is there any information on that in official lore that I need to keep in mind or can I just be creative?

My perception was that - after a vigil at the Al'Noth fueled pyre - the ash is placed in an urn which is then sealed up and either placed in a burial field or a small alcove in a wall which is then in turn sealed up. The reasoning behind that would be to minimize the chance that somebody tries to create undead servants with the bodies of dead faithful or use other necromantic techniques.

Alatriel

Re: Funeral Rites
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:49:08 am »
I think funeral rites would vary depending on the culture, but I think what you proposed is perfectly fine, and yes, if they were cremated on a funeral pyre, it would (I hope!) eliminate the chance that their bodies could be used for nefarious purposes.

Perhaps after a wake of 3 days *shrugs*  Like I said, I think it might vary by culture on preference of how to perform the rites.  Prayers and such would probably be fairly straightforward and standard throughout the Toran church, but I think you could be creative on that part when you write it.  If in doubt, feel free to ask.

anything