The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: how far can one fly with a cloak of the watchers?  (Read 318 times)

jrizz

how far can one fly with a cloak of the watchers?
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:51:02 pm »
Mechanially you can only go as far as you can click on the screen but that is an engine limitation. In the description it says nothing about how far you can fly it is just a one time flight. So for RP sake how far can one fly once one takes to the air?

Dorganath

Re: how far can one fly with a cloak of the watchers?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:28:52 am »
Not far...heh.

I don't think it's ever been defined, but if I had to pick a limit, I'd say the mechanical limitations in NWN would be about right.

I'd even go so far as to say it's not really "flight" at all, but rather you aim, go up and come down.  It's "controlled" in that you don't kill or hurt yourself doing it, but you don't have much control over your path or destination once you leave the ground.

jrizz

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:31:08 am »
the issue there is that the mechanical limitation vary greatly. Sometimes it is across a great chasm and sometimes it is over a wall. can se say for RP that it is line of sight?

Carillon

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 04:48:46 am »
Not if you're in the prairie or plains, I should think! Line of sight varies drastically as well.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:31 am »
Unofficial fluff: The Cloak of the Watchers, when activated for the purpose of flight, allows you to leap up, launching yourself high into the air... And you glide down, the cloak spreading itself out like wings. However, it takes all of the magic that binds these cloaks together to accomplish this feat, and they flutter apart in tatters (or, in the case of some masterwork cloaks, a flurry of feathers) when you land.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:02:04 am »
If you want a number, I would say no more than 30-50 meters.  In an open area, that's about the limit of targeting anyway, so I think it works out well.

As for explaining things like walls and such...it's all about angles.

If you want maximum range, simple ballistics say that you need to take off at about a 45 degree angle. If you're standing next to a wall, you don't have that luxury, so your take-off angle is going to be much steeper, thereby reducing your range.

Again, this is not "flight"...more like a long, magically-assisted jump.

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:28:16 am »
this is not "flight"...more like a long, magically-assisted jump

Repeated, bolded, underlined and made red for emphasis.

Weeblie

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:13:12 am »
MATO?

Magically Assisted Take-Off? :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:13:43 pm »
MTOL!  Magical Take Off and Landing

It's like a VTOL (see Harrier Jet)

VTOL stands for Vertical Take Off and Landing.  It's a Military Term  :)

Weeblie

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:54:34 pm »
Oh... for those who didn't get the poor attempt of a joke in my earlier post: JATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

anything