The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Weapon Customization and Looks  (Read 355 times)

jadewillow

Weapon Customization and Looks
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
I've noticed that some weapons (and armor, shields, etc) have many more options when customizing the look than others. For example, short sword has a good number, while kukri seem to have none other than the default. Just curious how this was added to Layonara and what options if any there are to change?

Thanks.

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Weapon Customization and Looks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »
Most of these options were created by the NWN community during its prime, and often for the weapons most often used or a particular designer's favorites.  So some are lacking in options.

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:28:17 am »
It's also worth pointing out that the kukri is a weapon type that is not one of the types that came with stock Neverwinter Nights.  Those types - short sword, longsword, greatsword, dagger, axes, etc. - have/had the entire community working on different models for them.  The kukri, the katar, and a variety of other weapons were community-made... which, in turn, means that fewer variants were made by the community as a whole.

Edit:  On checking the toolset, the Kukri is a native weapon, so in this case, it's clearly as Shiff said - some weapons are the favourites for modders.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:58:56 am »
So, if I could figure out how to make some more custom models for the kukri, what's the likelyhood they would be added in to Layonara?

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:06:56 am »
Custom models are simply HAK resources, and as has been observed, we don't have too many of this sort for the Kukri, so it shouldn't be a problem.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:15:40 am »
actually the kukri is stock nwn.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:32 am »
talk to scriptwrecked. I think he has experience with that

Nehetsrev

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:25:06 am »
Okay, next question then:  If I made a kukri model that looked like a fan, could it be put in so that we fan-lovers could at least have the illusion of dual-wielding finessable fans?  (I know, shame on me!  But I had to ask!)

Dremora

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »
Thought there already was a useable single-hand fan weapon in layo? Why not simple play about and make more versions of that using the same base item that was used in their creation?

Nehetsrev

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:39:30 pm »
Quote from: Dremora
Thought there already was a useable single-hand fan weapon in layo? Why not simple play about and make more versions of that using the same base item that was used in their creation?

Because the fans currently in Layonara are Fashion Accessory items, and thus are not finessable... they also weigh 4 lbs, and can only be equipped in one hand, not dual-wielded.  A couple of them do look nice though and their models could (hopefully) be attached to the options for a more useable weapon such as the kukri.

In any case, if I did figure out how to make my own weapon models, you can be fairly certain I'd do more than just 'fan'-versions for kukri.  I'd also do some new actual kukri models, and perhaps a some alternate models for some of the other weapons currently lacking a decent sellection of options.