The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Non-lethal Methods  (Read 444 times)

drakogear

Non-lethal Methods
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:45:52 pm »
This has probably been discussed before but thought I'd ask anyways.

First off, I had a thought for a sorta rouge who worshiped Aeridin and a thought for him was to make and use non-lethal traps to subdue any threats to him or the group he is with. For instance, a sleep trap. When triggered it casts the sleep spell effect on all in the area thus rendering the enemy unconscious and the group and pass by with no one getting hurt or killed. Alternation, make and use a snare, paralyzing or some other holding trap. Question here is, are there any traps in game that might have any effects like these?

My second question, relative to my first, is there any weapon enchantments like the ones mentioned? Would be useful to those more pacifistic characters. If not then might I suggest that there be added some? Would say for there overall purpose, one the weapon effects are only on certain weapons and can not be placed by players, second the weapons with these effects are of the weakest kind. Say... a paralyzing... stone club? Perhaps a light crossbow that fires tranquilizer darts? (IE crossbow imbues bolts with the sleep spell.)

Nehetsrev

Re: Non-lethal Methods
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »
As to non-lethal traps, there are Tangle traps in-game that act like the Web spell when set off, I believe.  They aren't very effective in my experience.  There are also the Grenade-like Tangle Bags which are thrown, but again are fairly ineffective.  Perhaps slightly more effective are the Choking Powder, again a grenade-like thrown weapon, but still not effective against higher-level foes.  There's a ring you can get as a quest reward that casts Tasha's Hideous Laughter, which I think is also non-lethal.

However, in my opinion, your best bet if playing a pacifist type character is to go stealthy and avoid combat altogether, as once creatures are agroed even by non-lethal means they tend to be very persistant in tracking and attacking their targets.  Of course, this means you become very limitted in your options for advancement through acquiring XP.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:44 am »
Yeah... the real problem with "disabling" traps/effects is that instead of the group "passing by with no one getting hurt or killed", they kill the unconcious enemy outright. Über pwnage, as you can see.

drakogear

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:29:26 am »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Yeah... the real problem with "disabling" traps/effects is that instead of the group "passing by with no one getting hurt or killed", they kill the unconcious enemy outright. Über pwnage, as you can see.

Hm, so your saying... that the "supposedly" good aligned people that the pacifistic rouge is traveling with... would up and slaughter the creatures that have just been rendered helpless? O.o

darkstorme

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:38:28 am »
That is correct.  It is difficult to play an Aeridinite.  On the plus side, undead, constructs, and aberrations are fair game!  On the minus side, none of those racial types are vulnerable to sneak attacks.

Nehetsrev is also right that if you "tranquilized" opponents with a Sleep effect, they'd still come after you when they woke up.  It's an unfortunate side effect of the way the game engine works.

drakogear

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:47:42 am »
aberrations? How so? There living creatures too aren't they? Beholders, Delver, Driders, Ettercap, Mind Flayers (Otherwise known as Illithids), Umber Hulks, Will-O'-Wisp.

Intellect Devourers probably aren't so much... kinda reminds me of those uh... licker things from Resident Evil.

Nehetsrev is also right that if you "tranquilized" opponents with a Sleep effect, they'd still come after you when they woke up. It's an unfortunate side effect of the way the game engine works.

As I've noticed a couple times before though I think if you get far enough away from them then they well stop... at least the coast pirates just outside central did when I ran from them a few times. They stopped and went back to there camp witch then triggered some sorta patrol script or something. They didn't return and stood around like there were originally.

Though maybe thats just them... and maybe a few others. Note, Barb Fast Movement helped to get away.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:17:59 am »
Quote from: drakogear
aberrations? How so? There living creatures too aren't they? Beholders, Delver, Driders, Ettercap, Mind Flayers (Otherwise known as Illithids), Umber Hulks, Will-O'-Wisp

Not exactly.  Most of those creatures were magically created by twisting the natural forms of existing creatures (or in some cases, combining them with things from elsewhere).  As such, they fall under a different section of Aeridin's dogma.

There have been a number of threads on the topic of "What creatures are fair game for Aeridinites?", so if you look through Ask a Gamemaster and Roleplaying, you'll probably find a few.

As I've noticed a couple times before though I think if you get far enough away from them then they well stop... at least the coast pirates just outside central did when I ran from them a few times. They stopped and went back to there camp witch then triggered some sorta patrol script or something. They didn't return and stood around like there were originally.

Though maybe that's just them... and maybe a few others. Note, Barb Fast Movement helped to get away.

Some spawns have a script (written for Layo!) that will prevent them from straying too far from their spawn.  This is meant mainly to keep them from wandering along roads after some player has dragged them away from their spawning point.  Not all spawns have this, as there are literally thousands of spawns in-game.

As a result, making it so all creatures wouldn't go on a cross-area rampage looking for the person who put them to sleep would be a fairly substantial task.

darkstorme