The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Magically talking  (Read 920 times)

Kaail

Magically talking
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »
Can mages speak telepathically to people? like magically? it could help sometimes.

What about magically translating or something how about that too? or is that a bit too far?

Kaail

Magically talking
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 12:37:20 pm »
what about altering a memory slightly like making someone forget what you told them, so you can say something different or if someone saw something you didn't want them to see?

Unknown User

Magically talking
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »
Telepathy is not allowed in any form as the rules said, Due the conflicts that it brings.

Kaail

Magically talking
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:01:37 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Stargazer
               View Post

Telepathy is not allowed.

okies, what about the changing memories or recent memories slightly, like if someone saw something you didn't wna t them to?

Unknown User

Magically talking
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:04:04 pm »
Memory manipulation is also not permitted outside of GM-run events with extenuating circumstances.

Edit: To address one of your original points, there are no spells like Tongues in Layonara either.

Kaail

Magically talking
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 01:06:15 pm »
okay then, it's just that Frak met ni'haer with some other people and ni'haer was a bit to sneaking and nosey for frak's liking

np though

Unknown User

Magically talking
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 01:20:02 pm »
As Lance said, the possibilities for abuse of telepathy would be huge - "You can't lie to me, I know what you're thinking!" - so rather than deal with the inevitable conflicts that would result, it was decided that the better approach would be to leave people's thoughts inviolate.

Tongues would make a bit of a mockery of all the people who worked hard on their submissions or afterward to learn other languages.

And memory alteration would, as with telepathy, be very prone to abuse and metagaming - so it was decided long ago that this, too, would not be found in the mage skillset.

Kaail

Magically talking
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:34:56 pm »
by telepathy I meant not mind reading but saying something to someone without anyone hearing and them being on the opposite side of the room.

and then not necessarily being able to say anything back unless they have magic too.

would be useful for telling someone seomthing private and important

darkstorme

Magically talking
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »
Sorry, I should have included my second example for why telepathy (projecting or receiving) would be inclined towards abuse: "Wherever you are, I can talk to you!"

It would result in a quasi-legitimate means of showering another player with tells, and even a hint of legitimacy would cause no end of problems in terms of potential complaints.

On the other hand, if you needed to convey something privately, I have had some thoughts on the subject.

Kaail

Magically talking
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 02:53:40 pm »
Not even short-range -(I have to see them)- projecting?

Unknown User

Magically talking
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 03:08:35 pm »
No telepathy. The subject in general is best left to DM supervision. I personally support various forms of magical sendings, but more in line with the LORE birds with a magical flair than any instant mind-to-mind communication, which is pretty strictly off-limits.  The only examples of mind-to-mind are very rare DM occurrences and those are often occasions of empathy rather than formed words.

Maybe you could tackle this IC by conspiring to come up with codes and gestures and the like. You wouldn't be the first!

Unknown User

Magically talking
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:13:58 pm »
Not telepathy but these spells might be available to you if there is a DM around to oversee the rp to avoid any abuse magicmouth message sending not sure if that is what you're looking for, all 3 would likely be easy to trace by any caster, but they do allow you to send messages over distance.

Acacea

Magically talking
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by ycleption
               View Post

Obviously each of these has its own problems... other people trying to listen in, etc. But that's part of the fun of RP, there's seldom a perfect solution :-)

That's definitely one of the main reasons telepathy is so discouraged. Without a system for it that's put down and defined, it really (among other things already mentioned) amounts to exluding others from roleplay by not giving them the opportunity to counter your skills with their own, which is after all their purpose. If telepathy were ever supported in this medium or another, it would still have to be a spell that is cast and therefore subject to all spell-noticing, countering, and possible spying that another mage may be capable of... much like akata's examples of different magical sendings that could potentially be traced. Since nothing is foolproof, it's better to use a method that isn't.

Similarly but not really related, it's why most people, even when having a whispered conversation, will put their physical emotes in talk mode, and only their words in whispers - the people at a distance will still see their pointing and jumping and shoving. If they see something you wished they hadn't, well, consequences and all!