The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Mining picks  (Read 598 times)

Mining picks
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:00:32 am »
I don't know if it's just Finn, but in the last two days I spent 8 picks to mine less than 30 copper and tin nugget. To a point where I have ruined his bank acount. Good thing I got a good amount of true in that letters of love quest.

I was wondering if this was normal at all? It seems a bit extreme that someone would go through that many picks for so little result.

Like just now I passed through 2 picks for 3 copper nuggets.

Unknown User

Mining picks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:19:29 am »
Just the luck of the dice.  In the original CNR system, there was a 10% chance of breaking a tool on a given use.  I don't know what our current settings are, but sometimes the dice just hate you.

It could be worse; the dice could have it in for you where the Soul Mother is concerned.  Picks are a relatively lenient way to get off.

Unknown User

Mining picks
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:22:02 am »
Yes it is not unheard of to go through alot of picks while mining. Not too long ago Dorg changed how sturdy picks were (for the better). There is a chance that on each hit an ore deposit you will break a pick. You are guaranteed to get at least one nugget from each pick. So the best way to mine is to have a character who has a high Strength and or have power attack / Improved power attack. That way you require fewer hits to mine each nugget.

So if your character has a low strength, you will have a higher broken pick to mined nugget ratio then a high str character.

Unknown User

Mining picks
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:54:19 am »
Does sound like you got very unlucky on several rolls. As Masterjack pointed out, you want to get each nugget in as few hits as possible. Because the chance to break them is not per nugget, but for each hit I believe.

Unknown User

Mining picks
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:00 pm »
It seems to me like we have a toggle that will allow you to see the crafting and mining rolls so you know what rolls you're getting, but for the life of me I can't recall what the command is.

=toggle ????

Dorg? Sorry I'm drawing a blank.

Dorganath

Mining picks
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:13 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filatus
               View Post

Does sound like you got very unlucky on several rolls. As Masterjack pointed out, you want to get each nugget in as few hits as possible. Because the chance to break them is not per nugget, but for each hit I believe.

Correct.

Dorganath

Mining picks
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:36:56 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by miltonyorkcastle
               View Post

It seems to me like we have a toggle that will allow you to see the crafting and mining rolls so you know what rolls you're getting, but for the life of me I can't recall what the command is.

=toggle ????

Dorg? Sorry I'm drawing a blank.

I think it's just: =c toggle feedback

But I can't check for sure right now.

You can type: =c toggle

and see all the toggle commands and their current setting.

Unknown User

Mining picks
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 03:26:44 pm »
It's

=c toggle tool_feedback

Mining picks
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 03:07:52 am »
Well I don't know if it's because I changed suppliers or it's because there was a Flower with him when he got the iron. But Finn managed a 15 nugget with a single pick!

anything