The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Mother of Darkness Question.  (Read 156 times)

Alatriel

Mother of Darkness Question.
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:26:56 pm »
Okay... got a question.

Why is She-whom-most-people-do-not-know-her-name Chaotic Evil?  Based on what is written about her and available on LORE she seems more Neutral Evil than Chaotic.  In fact, she's almost more lawful than Baraeon Ca'duz- who is listed as NE.  She does what she does to benefit and strengthen her people.  Am I just missing the chaotic aspect?  Because... I just don't see it.

Thanks!

~A

EdTheKet

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:46 am »
That's because her dogma when initially conceptualized was different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by really old dogma

Worship the Mother of Darkness or die. Destroy the weak and the  faithless. Strive to better yourselves, even at the expense of others;  in this way you will gain and keep the favor of the Mother of Darkness.  Dark elves are the supreme race, and females are better than males. The Dark Elves shall reign supreme in the Underdark. Annihilate the surface elves and take their lands from them. Do not aid the enemies of the People.

I can see how she's a lot less chaotic (or even non-chaotic) now though.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:13:30 pm »
It is also worth mentioning that taking on an ordered and reasonable role in society such as eliminating everyone that appears to have a weakness does not necessarily mean it is always ordered and lawful. This often seems to be especially true with female deities who have what is known as the bat**** insane switch. Yeah, your ex-girlfriend was a lawyer, but that didn't stop her from burning your house down. Since the rewrites V has a lot more order in the role, but at the same time also still appears to have a lot of psycho barbarian warrior chicks prone to direct and immediate violence. Ca'Duz is at least more subtle - not only that, but a good portion of focus on vengeance lends at least part of a mindset of tit for tat, even if twisted and returned tenfold. Not that it rules out NE, I'm just personally not for all-out Lawful if it came up.

Mist was/is like that for me too, despite what they were trying to do with her a long while back. No matter how some players tried to use her as Thor, it just didn't work with a temper tantrum throwing chick who sometimes* had a clergy full of weaselly politicians. Sometimes she is a mettle-testing fierce storm-rider of the north... and the others, well, heh.  Not saying that her moodiness is solely what defines her alignment, but it sure helps. Through different means of carrying out the role you can end up with different alignments and clerics.

*As ever any deity's clergy depended on which DM or player was representing them at the time!

jadewillow

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:45:22 pm »

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acacea
               View Post

Yeah, your ex-girlfriend was a lawyer, but that didn't stop her from burning your house down.

I hope there is not a RL story behind this. If so, I want to hear it.